Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Upgrade" Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

"Upgrade" Worth it?

Hi everyone. I am flying KIX-HKG-KTM on CX. Seems like about 8-8.5 hours total flying. I have the opportunity to upgrade this from Y to J for 16k Avios + $52. KIX-HKG is lie flat, HKG-KTM is the Dragonair A330 regional seat. Is this worth upgrading?

I have Amex Platinum so I get Centurion Lounge, is The Pier Business worth any premium?

My apologies if this is the wrong forum.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:48 pm

That depends on what you value and how you value your Avios. CX uses a rubbish lounge at KIX. The Pier Business is an excellent lounge. The main benefit would be better food and drink inflight and roomier seat, plus probably a quieter cabin. I think 16K Avios is not much so in your position I would do this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Is your Avios "upgrade" an upgrade of a paid ticket, or just purchasing a full award and refunding your original Y ticket?

You can't use Avios to upgrade a paid ticket on CX.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Is your Avios "upgrade" an upgrade of a paid ticket, or just purchasing a full award and refunding your original Y ticket?

You can't use Avios to upgrade a paid ticket on CX.
SXC it's not really an "upgrade" I booked an economy award ticket but business class awards are now available so I would change it to that.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
To me, 16K avios is a very small number.
I would definitely do it just for the flat bed on KIX-HKG.and there is additional comfort in J on KA.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: Asiamiles
Flew this segment a lot HKG-KTM return.
I would rather upgrade the return legs because of the time..i need some sleep on overnight flight
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by brunos
To me, 16K avios is a very small number.
I would definitely do it just for the flat bed on KIX-HKG.and there is additional comfort in J on KA.
Which flights have flat bed on KIX-HKG?!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Which flights have flat bed on KIX-HKG?!
I think there are scheduled 359 services for one of the flights, but I got 772 swapped in multiple times.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Upgraded it on the 359 flight at 9:20 am. I am flying Business back to the US already from KTM (KA and AA business)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.