Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Pax Waitlist passed over

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Multiple Pax Waitlist passed over

I've been waitlisted for a while now looking for 2 STANDARD redemption seats for my son and myself. I'm waitlisted on a few dates/flights.

I check the website regularly, and noticed today that one of the flights/dates suddenly showed availability, but I had not cleared the waitlist. Further investigation revealed that there is only a single seat available, and I'm looking for two. (There are 2 if I'm willing to pay the 50% CHOICE premium.)

So, that would mean that someone could come along and snag that STANDARD redemption seat, essentially jumping ahead of my waitlist.

Hardly seems fair.

My guess is that more are likely to open over time, but if they only release them one at a time then other customers could grab them one by one and my waitlist would be left unfilled.

Anyone have any experience with this, or any suggestions? Makes me wonder if I should create multiple waitlists on the same flight? Not sure if it's possible, but I'm thinking of setting up two separate waitlists; one for me and one for my son (in addition to the single waitlist with 2 passengers).
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Yes, award waitlisting leaves much to be desired. Happened more than once that I'm waitlisted and I see availability to book, whereas my waitlist has not cleared. A call to MPC hotline where they recheck availability, and the seat gets booked.

Why this doesn't automatically happen is a mystery to me, and makes "priority" waitlisting pretty worthless.

However, I will also say that award waitlists do clear sometimes, and CX does contact me when this happens by email/SMS/phone to issue the ticket.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
Anyone have any experience with this, or any suggestions? Makes me wonder if I should create multiple waitlists on the same flight? Not sure if it's possible, but I'm thinking of setting up two separate waitlists; one for me and one for my son (in addition to the single waitlist with 2 passengers).
Well, you can waitlist them one-by-one if seats are that tight.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
i think ALL airlines do it this way - but you can always separate your PNR?

When arranging flights for my family members I only put more than one of them in the same PNR if Marco Polo confirms they can offer 2 or more seats on the spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.