Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Official announcement for NO Lounge access if you score complimentary upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official announcement for NO Lounge access if you score complimentary upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by percysmith
I thought about it, but how will it work logistically?

Say a DM has 39A
DM checks in as 39A
Final non-status passenger does check in and given 39A, DM gets bumped to PE

But what if it is the other way round
DM checks in after all non-status has been checked in
Does final non-status passenger and DM get both 39A and then DM's BP gets swapped at gate?
For any passenger regardless of status, if they check-in late and can't be assigned a seat before check-in closes, then print "GTE" on the boarding pass.

Once flight goes to gate control, then the shuffling can begin. DM gets the PEY seat and non-status gets DMs original seat etc.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by percysmith
I thought about it, but how will it work logistically?

Say a DM has 39A
DM checks in as 39A
Final non-status passenger does check in and given 39A, DM gets bumped to PE

But what if it is the other way round
DM checks in after all non-status has been checked in
Does final non-status passenger and DM get both 39A and then DM's BP gets swapped at gate?
Originally Posted by daniellam
For any passenger regardless of status, if they check-in late and can't be assigned a seat before check-in closes, then print "GTE" on the boarding pass.

Once flight goes to gate control, then the shuffling can begin. DM gets the PEY seat and non-status gets DMs original seat etc.
One of the small but real operational reasons all airlines prefer to opup in advance is to avoid problems at the gate. Sometimes pax don't like the upgraded, or you're splitting parties, or you're just causing problems despite the good intentions of an upgrade. Do this enough at the gate only, and you overburden the limited staff at the jetbridge and delays are more likely.

This is all a bit overthinking it. I think it's fairly "duh" op-upsdon't get the lounge. If the passenger doesn't agree, op up the next in line. But definitely don't do anything extreme like forcing all op-ups at the gate, and hurt (at a high level) operating performance! That's madness, if well intentioned, just to "solve" a nonexistent problem. Some PEY enabled flights have, cough cough 50+ op ups! You really don't want to process those all at the gate if you can avoid it. Just because of some horribly behaved idiots who demanded the lounge when they were upgraded!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:20 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by QRC3288
One of the small but real operational reasons all airlines prefer to opup in advance is to avoid problems at the gate. Sometimes pax don't like the upgraded, or you're splitting parties, or you're just causing problems despite the good intentions of an upgrade. Do this enough at the gate only, and you overburden the limited staff at the jetbridge and delays are more likely.
But then if at the gate they can be dead certain they need the extra seats
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
You mean si lai's?

I have seen many using the low gate PP to replenish their pantry, as well as filling small takeaway containers with XO sauce at the CX lounges.
I have once booked a spontaneous trip to Kansai (ticketing at 16:30 and jumping out of town 25:45, or 01:45 next day), and I could not have my veggie meal code passed to the registration.

I told the CX lounge agent about this, and a lounge agent gave me a take away box.
She followed me around and introduced me if the food serving was vegetarian or not.
Before I left, she handed me a bag of pantries.

I think if you do have a reason, they don't mind you taking out food from lounge.

Not just about 'c las' or Hong Kong'ers, but I have encountered groups of foreigners smuggling coke zero and cream sodas multiple times.
I just don't know why.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by AmD950
but I have encountered groups of foreigners smuggling coke zero and cream sodas multiple times.
I just don't know why.
If you imply taking a single can per person (and not stuffing up one’s luggage with free coke zeros), apparently people intend to drink them at the gate or in-flight. What’s wrong about that? It is not an extra expenditure for the airline. You don’t need to hide it, no one from the lounge staff gonna object a can of coke or cream soda being taken out instead of being consumed on a spot.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by daniellam
Wait, does CX actually do this? I know AA will give priority verification.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Wait, does CX actually do this? I know AA will give priority verification.
I don’t think so? I have never seen a boarding pass with GTE. I guess CX will hold the passenger outside restricted area and o my give boarding pass if seats available?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by xuukgo

I don’t think so? I have never seen a boarding pass with GTE. I guess CX will hold the passenger outside restricted area and o my give boarding pass if seats available?
I think, this GTE concept is called "Standby passenger".......
A passenger simply needs to have a seat assigned, otherwise, there is no boarding foreseen for the passenger.
Being "Late" at check-in simply implies, "To late". And when overbooked and no more seats available, it becomes standby.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by barracuda93
If you imply taking a single can per person (and not stuffing up one’s luggage with free coke zeros), apparently people intend to drink them at the gate or in-flight. What’s wrong about that? It is not an extra expenditure for the airline. You don’t need to hide it, no one from the lounge staff gonna object a can of coke or cream soda being taken out instead of being consumed on a spot.
By the term "Smuggling", I mean not a single can.
They usually take 4-5 and put them in their backpack.

They pack the cans together in a group and chatted loudly in the lounge as well.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
I usually grab a bottle of water or two out of the F lounge (depending on flight length), but i have never seen someone stuff their backpack with sodas....... that seems altitle excessive!

Also agree with some of the previous posters. Most of my upgrades are done at the gate now adays!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
This is the policy with most airlines. You are upgraded for operational reasons - there not being a seat for you in the lower cabin. Unless there are no seats in the J lounges and you get operationally upgraded to the F lounge why would you have access
Well, elsewhere in Oneworld, if you are in possession of an F boarding pass on BA you can go into the F-only lounges. Last time I tested this was a few months ago when I had an op-up to F when transferring at JFK. My seat allocation disappeared in the mobile app, so I took a guess and went to a counter to fetch a new boarding pass, and then had access as if I was an F passenger. AA have never op-upped me to F (three-class F, that is) but as far as I know you can still get into any of their Flagship, etc, lounges if you have an F boarding pass no matter where it came from.

CX, and everyone else, has scaled their lounge service provision to the number of F seats (haven't they?...) so once your bum will be in an F seat on the aircraft, it can also fit into the F lounge.

It's their train set and they can say how we're going to play with it, but I think no F lounge access on ground after an F upgrade is chiselling.
sxc and barracuda93 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
At the risk of starting a tirade, why do some quarters feel entitled to the Flounge when someone in heaven graced you an op up. It is different if you upgraded with dash of miles or cash, but come on, op ups... be thankful and stay in your place.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
At the risk of starting a tirade, why do some quarters feel entitled to the Flounge when someone in heaven graced you an op up. It is different if you upgraded with dash of miles or cash, but come on, op ups... be thankful and stay in your place.
I guess it’s not about feeling entitled, it’s about feeling pissed about cheapness of the airline, that charges thousands of bucks for tickets but cannot afford a small marginal cost of extra passenger in the lounge (most of op-ups will have status and thus free access anyway).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by barracuda93
I guess it’s not about feeling entitled, it’s about feeling pissed about cheapness of the airline, that charges thousands of bucks for tickets but cannot afford a small marginal cost of extra passenger in the lounge (most of op-ups will have status and thus free access anyway).
no, I just have to strongly disagree here.

The whole point of an op up from the airline is to properly manage revenue in shifting micro demand environments, across a very inflexible fixed assets base. And a very key element to the op up assumption to the airline is there is almost no marginal cost, maybe close to zero except a glass or two of Champagne.

Airlines are an extraordinary tough business. They cannot just reconfigure their planes overnight. So, it is very frequent and accepted within the industry that you have imperfect configurations flying different mission profiles. That is life. For example, the loads to LAX during the Xmas holidays season ex-HKG from December 18-24 might be extremely different from those the week prior, and in a perfect world you have a much more economy and PEY heavy plane flying the missions during Xmas week to LAX. There are hundreds and thousands of these micro situations across the fleet and destination map each year. Of course, such a plane doesn't exist, or if it does it is already allocated elsewhere in your system. So you make do with what you have and use back office assets to sell seats differently.

So what does revenue management do in my hypothetical LAX situation forthcoming? They will oversell economy by more than usual, and not make as many J and F seats for sale. (I was on a flight last week that had 20 op-ups to J. It can be even more in extreme some times.) But, this is the airline industry in the real world. Of course CX cannot get new plane configs overnight so you mustu usestandard industry norms and conventions to solve these problems.

here is the problem. In your proposal, you are asking CX to fork out another $30-50 USD per op up (let's call it $40 to make it easy). If 20 people get a lounge higher than their entitlement, this is nearly 1k USD per flight CX is paying so gratis upgraded can enjoy the lounge too. It is not a sustainable idea, I must say, if you dig into the math. And it may, in fact even screw up some of the savings and yield management for that flight. That your ticket costs a thousand dollars is irrelevant. The profitability of that flight can be under 25k USD, even under 10k in a benign environment. $500-$1000 in additional costs for op ups to hit the lounge is not chump change!! And I think it is very poorly spent and a bad ROI.

What AA has done is upthread is a different situation; the Big 3 US airlines very clearly made decades of mistakes regarding upgrade procedures, and they are finally digging themselves out of a hole. That procedure was bumping all the elites up for free (aka until just recently it was not really an op up on US airlines, rather a "space available" upgrade for elites) and then completely ruining the premium experience in the process for everyone, and ironically taking incentive away for people to pay. This is a little off topic. But back on topic, it doesn't surprise me AA isn't very tuned into this "how to manage intl op ups properly", especially since their domestic operation is simply huge and doesn't permit lounge access, anyway for most flights. It will take time but I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually said no lounge for op ups. The BA example surprises me.

I think your comment about airlines charging thousands of dollars is off the mark. It implies they're living the high life or something, like some tech or financial business. But airlines is a notoriously slim margin business over market cycles, and those high prices cover COSTS! It is not like they're just taking you to the cleaners because of the prices you pay. As I said above, the profitability of some flights in a benign environment can be single digits thousand USD. (Obviously, many times in the cycle flights are losing money!). Short haul flights would be especially terrible. Some regional flights could have 30+ op ups in a very crazy situation, although I agree with you in that case many will already have lounge access. Still, the point holds. It is a lot of money out of CX's pocket, and on thosr short flights especially, it could actually mean the difference between a cash profit and loss for that sector.
Point is, costs are terrible in aviation. And if you start doing silly things - this would be one, adding to your marginal costs for somewhere there absolutely shouldn't be (op ups) - the airline will ultimately pay for their largess. There is definitely no free lunch in the ruthless airline industry, especially if you are careless with costs.

You may or may not recall, CX let some freighters fly without paint in 2008-2009 to save 100 pounds or so of paint, and a few hundred dollars, per flight. !! This is the industry! yet we're proposing for CX to pay $40 to the lounge operator so op-ups swank it up before the flight, too?

Without offence, but I think this doesn't make any sense. Any I have to imagine 90pct+ of passengers will be understanding and appreciative! If an op up really refuses an upgrade without the lounge, I'm sure there will be a person behind willing to accommodate.

If CX didn't have to pay cash to Sodexo, then maybe an argument can be made. But I see it as totally crazy for them to do so given their circumstances.
cartman7110 likes this.

Last edited by QRC3288; Dec 1, 2018 at 5:44 am
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
no, I just have to strongly disagree here.
I cannot argue on numbers here since I do not have the data (and no time/desire to try dig it out), so let me assume your calculations are correct for the sake of simplicity. If so, then it would still be better for an airline to do things differently. Negative image also has financial costs, which you neglect in your analysis. And CX likely does create a negative impression here (regardless of marginal costs being negligible or substantial). As someone already noted, upgrading at the gate would solve the problem (if needed, they can be pre-assigned in advance, but without letting passengers know). Customers will be happy, airline won't incur extra costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.