Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Official announcement for NO Lounge access if you score complimentary upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official announcement for NO Lounge access if you score complimentary upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by daniellam
Potential Solution (unless CX stamps the boarding pass "No Lounge"):

In airports with other Oneworld lounges other than CX, simply go to that Oneworld lounge instead.

Eg. In HKG, go to the Qantas lounge instead of the CX lounge.
And then it’s a double whammy for CX as they will need to pay for access to the lounge.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
The information embedded into the barcode is very basic. I suggest you download the app "BPScanner" onto your iphone and scan your boarding pass.

At most it shows the airline's record locator.

However, when accessing a partner lounge (as they won't have access to the operating carrier's DCS), all they look at is the cabin code and the ff status if required.

Yes. All lounges (except PPL ok...) will check your booking class and FF status before giving you access to the lounge as that is all about cost... Guess if wrongly admitted a passenger to the lounge the lounge owner need to absorb the cost so I don't think they will let you in

Originally Posted by ermen
i feel this is just so petty

1/ say a J gets upgraded to F. i mean is the marginal cost of admitting him to F lounge that much more?

2/ if a PE or Y gets upgraded to J. Ok maybe marginal cost is more (say US$50 a pop). but you have sold extra tickets (at a better yield too given cabin is full)! is it that difficult to build some customer good will?

basically i feel that they are being penny wise pound foolish. the marginal cost of providing this benefit is not that great, and can build goodwill. but they choose to toast it.

as sxc said - most opups have status anyway. it is only a very rare few I think that get upgraded as a newbie.

instead of pissing people off - if they want to implement this policy, they should do a strict opup upgrade at gate. this is actually a win-win. customer is super happy at gate, and CX dont have to provide the lounge services.

​​​​​
Honestly I'd say previously if there's just one or two occasional exception they will let them in... As you said nothing material... Front line always had certain degree of discretion, like 1 or 2 kg extra allowance for check bag etc

But once it's made so high profile they have to clarify and sort of forced to take away such discretion allowed by the front line staff
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by sscywong

Yes. All lounges (except PPL ok...) will check your booking class and FF status before giving you access to the lounge as that is all about cost... Guess if wrongly admitted a passenger to the lounge the lounge owner need to absorb the cost so I don't think they will let you in

Lounges operated by Oneworld Partners (eg. QF Lounge in HKG) do not know whether a CX passenger is op-up or not. All they see when they scan the boarding pass is the passenger's cabin (F or J) and FF status.

However, I suspect CX might stamp "No Lounge" on the boarding pass. This does not stop the passenger from using the mobile boarding pass on their phone instead!

I guess CX wants to prevent Y to J op-up pax with no status (eg. One in a lifetime grandmas) from going to the lounge and stuffing their carry-on bag with free food and drinks obtained from the lounge. These type of pax are typically not that saavy to go and try to get into the QF lounge anyway. They are simply told "no lounge for you" and are less likely to further pursue it.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Lounges operated by Oneworld Partners (eg. QF Lounge in HKG) do not know whether a CX passenger is op-up or not. All they see when they scan the boarding pass is the passenger's cabin (F or J) and FF status.

However, I suspect CX might stamp "No Lounge" on the boarding pass. This does not stop the passenger from using the mobile boarding pass on their phone instead!

I guess CX wants to prevent Y to J op-up pax with no status (eg. One in a lifetime grandmas) from going to the lounge and stuffing their carry-on bag with free food and drinks obtained from the lounge. These type of pax are typically not that saavy to go and try to get into the QF lounge anyway. They are simply told "no lounge for you" and are less likely to further pursue it.
would these grandmas even know there is a lounge?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
This is bollocks of trash. An op-up without status should not be allowed into the lounges on any condition. You get what you paid for. For operational reasons, you were graced a seat in a higher class and lounge benefits should not come with the seat upgrade. The person would got op-up should be glad that CX did not IDB him.

Birthday upgrades and milestone upgrades are treated differently. Though status allowed me into the lounges when I was flying Y, I was told during my birthday day and 5 years anniversary this year in SIN and HKG that those were processed as special upgrades.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
This is bollocks of trash. An op-up without status should not be allowed into the lounges on any condition. You get what you paid for. For operational reasons, you were graced a seat in a higher class and lounge benefits should not come with the seat upgrade. The person would got op-up should be glad that CX did not IDB him.
Oh wow, that’s a surprising degree of pain in the lower portion of the back!

You get what you paid for? How about stripping off statuses of corporate flyers and removing them from lounges? They haven't paid for anything from their pocket. But you are worried about one person in 6 months who gets operational upgrade due to pure luck, when zero elite flyers were booked in Y. Lounges are crowded not because of operational upgrades.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:47 pm

I'm not a CX expert, but I suspect these OP upgrades are petty rare. In all my years of flying, I don't recall ever getting one, ever. So, if a pax is lucky enough to score a, literally, once in a lifetime upgrade, why not just allow the access? Surely, with all the Oneworld's running around in the F lounges on coach fares, one more in a Business lounge isn't going to exacerbate overcrowding anymore than it is in its current state.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
I'm not a CX expert, but I suspect these OP upgrades are petty rare. In all my years of flying, I don't recall ever getting one, ever. So, if a pax is lucky enough to score a, literally, once in a lifetime upgrade, why not just allow the access? Surely, with all the Oneworld's running around in the F lounges on coach fares, one more in a Business lounge isn't going to exacerbate overcrowding anymore than it is in its current state.
Not as rare as you might think This happens routinely on full flights and I've been the beneficiary more times than I care to count.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by ermen
would these grandmas even know there is a lounge?
You mean si lai's?

I have seen many using the low gate PP to replenish their pantry, as well as filling small takeaway containers with XO sauce at the CX lounges.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:02 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by midlevels
Not as rare as you might think This happens routinely on full flights and I've been the beneficiary more times than I care to count.
A non status member getting an upgrade would be quite rare.

Sapphires/Golds getting an upgrade to F might be more common but again there should already be capacity in the F lounge for at least the number of physical seats on the plane which is less than the number of emeralds flying J and Y.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by sxc

A non status member getting an upgrade would be quite rare.

Sapphires/Golds getting an upgrade to F might be more common but again there should already be capacity in the F lounge for at least the number of physical seats on the plane which is less than the number of emeralds flying J and Y.
I agree with previous comments about non-status passengers having practically zero chances to score such an upgrade as well as the argument, that the F lounge capacity should be already available.

Though on the other hand I can understand CX does have some reasons to have this rule in place. It'll give less smart azz people fishing for a free op-up at the check-in counters, to obtain lounge access.

As well as the F lounge will not reflect the accumulated F class seats on board, though reflect the "average" occupation of the on board seats, which can be quite different. Could easily be 50%. Add on top of that all expected DM's/OWE, again a statistical item reflected in the lounge capacity. Granting the op-ups also F lounge access, just shifts the average and distribution of the F lounge access to higher figures, or so to say, it costs money.

And, as has been raised many times at this board, the F lounge (as well as the F seats on board) should reflect exclusiveness, or aristocracy, if you want to express is that way. Granting free op-ups access to the F lounge decreases that exclusiveness at a cost for CX.
The op-up occupation of the F class seat on board comes with a high money reward for CX, being the extra seats sold, probably at the walk-in fee. Money speaks in airline world, so to say.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
A much simpler way would be that upgrades of non-status passengers occur only at the gate

Just wandering

Fred
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
A much simpler way would be that upgrades of non-status passengers occur only at the gate

Just wandering

Fred
Yes, I had considered that to, though it would violate the principle of assigning no more then 1 passenger to one seat and/or not assigning a seat at check-in to a passenger with a confirmed booking.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:42 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

I feel most opups are given at the gate these days anyway.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
I feel most opups are given at the gate these days anyway.
I thought about it, but how will it work logistically?

Say a DM has 39A
DM checks in as 39A
Final non-status passenger does check in and given 39A, DM gets bumped to PE

But what if it is the other way round
DM checks in after all non-status has been checked in
Does final non-status passenger and DM get both 39A and then DM's BP gets swapped at gate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.