F Award Space

Old Nov 21, 18, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AR, AA, IB, EY, UA
F Award Space

Hello!
I'm trying to get 2 award seats in F Class for a flight from LAX to HKG. I already booked one seat in F, and the other one in J.
And the idea is to upgrade the J to F near the travel date.

The problem is that the flight has just 2 seats left in F.
Do someone know if CX releases more award space in F near the travel date even if there's just one or two seats available?
Is February peak season for this route?
What are my chances?

Old Nov 21, 18, 2:18 pm

They usually release available seats less one about 2 weeks before departure. But as always YMMV. If you’re flexible you may find two seats on a different flight that you can both switch to. Worst case scenario CX has two flights about an hour apart around midnight that you each may get a seat on. Start checking about 15 days ahead and keep checking a few times a day to what’s released.
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:03 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SPiKA85 View Post
Hello!
I'm trying to get 2 award seats in F Class for a flight from LAX to HKG. I already booked one seat in F, and the other one in J.
And the idea is to upgrade the J to F near the travel date.

The problem is that the flight has just 2 seats left in F.
Do someone know if CX releases more award space in F near the travel date even if there's just one or two seats available?
Is February peak season for this route?
What are my chances?
chances aren't high, but your best bet is to ensure you're on the waiting list. That ensures you'll get it if CX releases another, and in this scenario will basically box out partner access to F for that flight. The waiting list gets first look before released to the general AM availability pool, and then partners.

The waiting list is indeed ranked by CX elite status, so if you're not CX elite or a lower tier obviously someone can trump you, but it is still a nice perk of an otherwise underwhelming program. It puts you at a big advantage over the guys using other OW currency, or Alaska points. If you're looking for CX F hands down waiting list is the best way to secure a seat, despite the fact it can be annoying and sometimes doesn't clear until very late.

Years ago I had waiting list problems, whereby it was bypassed and went straight to general inventory. It was a highly annoying glitch. But I haven't experienced that problem in years and have had maybe 5+ successful J-F waitlists in the last few years.
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
LNY in 2019 is on 5 February. Chance is slim for early to mid February, but better in late February. It is difficult to say when they will release more award seats. As long as it shows A0, the chance is not good.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
chances aren't high, but your best bet is to ensure you're on the waiting list. That ensures you'll get it if CX releases another, and in this scenario will basically box out partner access to F for that flight. The waiting list gets first look before released to the general AM availability pool, and then partners.

The waiting list is indeed ranked by CX elite status, so if you're not CX elite or a lower tier obviously someone can trump you, but it is still a nice perk of an otherwise underwhelming program. It puts you at a big advantage over the guys using other OW currency, or Alaska points. If you're looking for CX F hands down waiting list is the best way to secure a seat, despite the fact it can be annoying and sometimes doesn't clear until very late.

Years ago I had waiting list problems, whereby it was bypassed and went straight to general inventory. It was a highly annoying glitch. But I haven't experienced that problem in years and have had maybe 5+ successful J-F waitlists in the last few years.
My feeling is that OP is on a non-CX programme.
Old Nov 22, 18, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr View Post
If you’re flexible you may find two seats on a different flight that you can both switch to. Worst case scenario CX has two flights about an hour apart around midnight that you each may get a seat on.
We connect in HKG to MLE, and the hotel is already booked, so unfortunately we can't change the departure date. And the other flight on the same day (CX881) is operated by a 77W without First Class.

chances aren't high, but your best bet is to ensure you're on the waiting list.
We used AAdvantage miles, so I guess we can't do that.

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 View Post
LNY in 2019 is on 5 February. Chance is slim for early to mid February, but better in late February. It is difficult to say when they will release more award seats. As long as it shows A0, the chance is not good.
Oh... didn't knew that. The flight is in 11 February, and currently the flight is F3 A0... so I guess my chances are really slim.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the answers. I guess that now I have realistic expectations.
In any case, I have my reservation in F, and my girlfriend's in J. Once we board, can we switch seats?
We have seats 2D and 11K, so we'll be really close actually.
Old Nov 22, 18, 10:55 am

In any case, I have my reservation in F, and my girlfriend's in J. Once we board, can we switch seats?
The crew probably allows you to switch seats once when boarding. You are separated by a gallery. The F passenger can visit J, but not the other way.
Old Nov 23, 18, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
We connect in HKG to MLE, and the hotel is already booked, so unfortunately we can't change the departure date. And the other flight on the same day (CX881) is operated by a 77W without First Class.

We used AAdvantage miles, so I guess we can't do that.

Oh... didn't knew that. The flight is in 11 February, and currently the flight is F3 A0... so I guess my chances are really slim.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the answers. I guess that now I have realistic expectations.
CX883 on 11Feb currently shows F3A3 with US POS. It does show F2A0 with Europe POS or F3A2 with HK POS. But the flight is also wide open in other classes with a US POS.
CX has opened at least 1 F award and maybe more, so they don't expect a lot of F revenue yield.
That is a bit strange as public holiday in China is 4-10 Feb (10 is Sunday) and many HKers do the same. But the flight lands on 12Feb, so that might be reason and business pax avoid traveling to China in that period.
Anyway, a F+J combination is already great as these are solo seats (we did it before).
But there is still hope. Maybe you put an alert of EF.
Note however that seats will usually be released to AM members first before being made available to partner airlines FFP.
Old Nov 28, 18, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Oh, so CX has released award space even if the flight is F1?
That's awesome!
I'll keep an eye on the flight 2 weeks before departure.
Thanks to everyone!
Old Nov 28, 18, 5:39 pm

I think all airlines are roughly the same that they only release 1 F award at the beginning. Open to observations/criticisms
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:53 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
The waiting list is indeed ranked by CX elite status.
I'm wondering if the OW Status will do anything?
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:44 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jerrythegreat12 View Post
No. You cant even use their elite phone lines.
You only get priority checkin/boarding and lounges per OW rules.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
I don't think that's what the post said. I fly CX a lot BOS/HKG and JFK/HKG in both directions. I've never seen any seats released at F1, even on the day of departure. Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, just not that I've observed. No reason not to try, but don't count on it.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by jerrythegreat12 View Post
This thread is somewhat confusing; it *probably* should be over in the AA forum, given the OP is trying to redeem AA miles on a partner airline.

To clarify:
The OP's status will help her/him calling and handling this ticket with American Airlines (presumably). I'm not sure if AA has some way of prioritizing or holding things for elites but that's obviously a topic for the other forum.
*The OP's status will not help him/her get a seat released by Cathay. Obviously, the OP is trying to get a partner ticket released. Cathay could care less.
*The OP's status will not help him/her reach Cathay Pacific Asia Miles / Marco Polo Club, although I'm unsure why the OP would care to do that anyway, since this is an AA ticket. But just to clarify, partner OW status does not help you get through to CX MPC or confer any benefits for burning Asia Miles, if you need to talk to them or use your account for whatever reason. OW status does not help here.

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 View Post
My feeling is that OP is on a non-CX programme.
Yes, realized this after the fact.

Last edited by QRC3288; Nov 28, 18 at 8:53 pm
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I don't think that's what the post said. I fly CX a lot BOS/HKG and JFK/HKG in both directions. I've never seen any seats released at F1, even on the day of departure. Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, just not that I've observed. No reason not to try, but don't count on it.
That's awesome!
I'll keep an eye on the flight 2 weeks before departure.
Thanks to everyone!
Okay, just to clarify for posterity here...the OP is redeeming AA miles, not CX Asia Miles.

Yes, CX does sometimes release award tickets with F1. But the program I'm familiar with is "Instant Upgrade", which is the Asia Miles way of saying "burn Asia Miles at the airport to upgrade from J to F", since the waitlist is cleared out before departure. For the OP, I don't think this is possible and I also don't know if CX is willing to release a pure award seat (vs Instant Upgrade) at the airport. Although it could be worth exploring if the OP is willing to burn Asia Miles and is flush with points, and doesn't mind having a bunch of Asia Miles on hand that may be tough to use otherwise. But definitely your best bet for award seats in tight situations is CX's own program. And if that seat is free at the airport they absolutely will release it to Asia Miles inventory via the Instant Upgrade program. Many of the outports are quite aggressive in asking elites to upgrade with miles, as I think they have some KPIs to hit. But you definitely won't be able to burn AAdvantage miles at the CX desk.

I suspect Dr. HFH is referring to AAdvantage or other partner tickets, which I think he/she is quite familiar with. And I would trust his advice.

Last edited by QRC3288; Nov 28, 18 at 8:57 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: