Wiki Posts
Search

Vegan Options CX Lounges Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, Delta, Hyatt, SPG, AMEX
Vegan Options CX Lounges Hong Kong?

I travel through HKIA frequently, but this is the first time with a vegan companion. What are the best options at the Wing or Pier for vegans--no animal products at all, not even fish sauce or honey. Are any of the noodle dishes completely vegan. I don't recall if vegan options are labeled at the lounges. Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by ejk0366
I travel through HKIA frequently, but this is the first time with a vegan companion. What are the best options at the Wing or Pier for vegans--no animal products at all, not even fish sauce or honey. Are any of the noodle dishes completely vegan. I don't recall if vegan options are labeled at the lounges. Thanks!
First or Business lounge? I've seen vegetarian options on the First lounge's menu (i.e. those with leaf symbol) but I haven't seen vegan options. Having said that, food is made to order and ingredients are listed on the menu so you can always tell them you want only abc and not xyz. You can also grab food from the First pantry like fruit or fruit salad.
Dan dan mien is noddle with hot oil, peanut sauce and scallions but they probably boil the noodles and wonton in the same place. I don't know if your friend is ok with that ....
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Even though there is a la carte dining at the F lounges they aren’t made to order. They are assembled to order and it’s unlikely you can ask them to take out a particular ingredient. The menu even says that you need to have the dish as prepared (even though they do show some flexibility).

Your best bet for vegan options is likely the Qantas lounge as they cater for more dietary cases that are amenable to more selective western palettes. So if you don’t find vegan options at the CX lounges, give the QF lounge a try.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by ejk0366
Are any of the noodle dishes completely vegan. I don't recall if vegan options are labeled at the lounges. Thanks!
The noodle bar will have 1 vegan option at the bottom, usually a ramen in vegetable stock or the like. I would assume they cook that separately from the wontons and bone stock.

In the Pier J the buffet usually have a vegetable with no meat, even though it may be cooked with onions/garlic. At the western counter the soups, fruit, as well as jellies, juices from the Tea House, could make a nice if slightly limited meal. On all the menu cards vegan options are marked by a leaf symbol. Although it doesn't specify it being lacto-ovo vegan, Asian vegan, or very strict vegan.

Last edited by jysim; Nov 19, 2018 at 6:25 pm Reason: Need to return to grammar school
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:16 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by jysim
On all the menu cards vegan options are marked by a leaf symbol. Although it doesn't specify it being lacto-ovo vegan, Asian vegan, or very strict vegan.
No, the leaf symbol indicates vegetarian (and it means lacto-ovo vegetarian as a quick glance at the menus in the F Lounge menu thread will show). In other words, no products which necessitated the death of a living creature.

The terms "vegan" can mean different things to different people. There are vegans who are so strict that they won't eat many vegetables which are pollinated using captive bees. This starts to get very restrictive indeed since it more or less excludes commercially produced almonds, onions, cucumbers and avocados for example.

I wonder whether the OP's friend will decline to sit on any leather furniture?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Rivarix
First or Business lounge? I've seen vegetarian options on the First lounge's menu (i.e. those with leaf symbol) but I haven't seen vegan options. Having said that, food is made to order and ingredients are listed on the menu so you can always tell them you want only abc and not xyz. You can also grab food from the First pantry like fruit or fruit salad.
Dan dan mien is noddle with hot oil, peanut sauce and scallions but they probably boil the noodles and wonton in the same place. I don't know if your friend is ok with that ....
the dan dan mien I don't think is vegetarian. The broth may be a chicken or meat based broth?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:32 pm
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
I have not visited the Pier since Jan 2018, but they had a separate vegetarian menu that you could ask for in the restaurant. I believe it is only offered for lunch and dinner (i.e. not at breakfast). My partner is vegan and she has always been able to have a filling meal across ten or so visits.

The Wing does not offer a dedicated vegetarian menu last I checked.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by christep
I wonder whether the OP's friend will decline to sit on any leather furniture?
^ ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.