Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX-865 flight availability when only going to YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX-865 flight availability when only going to YVR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Wondering how that would work if a DM were to invoke seat guarantee or if someone holding a flexible ticket were to go-show at the airport.
On "seat guarantee", there is such a clause:
"At times, this benefit may be suspended without prior notice for operational reasons. If that happens, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will endeavour to offer an alternative solution."
In addition, seat guarantee won't work when they do not provide fare anymore.

On a flexible ticket, it is useless with Y0 anyway. My feeling is that those who already booked and ticketed can still fly. They are not selling new seats anymore.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:47 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
"At times, this benefit may be suspended without prior notice for operational reasons. If that happens, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will endeavour to offer an alternative solution."

On a flexible ticket, it is useless with Y0 anyway. My feeling is that those who already booked and ticketed can still fly. They are not selling new seats anymore.
So if one is ticketed, can still still change flights to a different day?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:26 pm

I wanted to move one of my tickets to another class and they can't do it... It is because they have a dollar quota on how much they can sell in the north american market ie YVR-JFK routes and it is met for December. That is why there isn't availability even though there is actually still availability across different classes on many flights flying that route in December. Furthermore, even though there are seats they won't be able to sell, they will not open up to be booked with points ...or so I am told.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by westcoastbestcoast
I wanted to move one of my tickets to another class and they can't do it... It is because they have a dollar quota on how much they can sell in the north american market ie YVR-JFK routes and it is met for December. That is why there isn't availability even though there is actually still availability across different classes on many flights flying that route in December. Furthermore, even though there are seats they won't be able to sell, they will not open up to be booked with points ...or so I am told.
I don't understand how the quota works. I can understand why they are not opening for redemption. It is still one headcount, and worse of all, it is supposed to be "free".
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

Ah, you are right. I forgot about this "enhancement" MPO introduced 2.5 years ago.

On the other hand, the fare is definitely still there.

Code:
FQJFKYVR-CX«                                                    
NYC-YVR       CXR-CX       SAT 01DEC18                     USD  
WS  0/ 0/14  AS  0/ 0/13  AA  0/ 0/23  AC  1/ 0/82  CX  1/ 0/ 0 
DL  0/ 0/23  UA  0/ 0/72                                        
//SEE FQHELP FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE NEW FARE DISPLAYS//      
  SURCHARGE FOR PAPER TICKET MAY BE ADDED WHEN ITIN PRICED      
CX     NYCYVR          01DEC18                                  
   V  FARE BASIS AP  FARE-OW   FARE-RT BK   SEASON  MINMAX  RTG 
  1    VE1M       -             460.00 V    ---      -/ 1M    1 
  2    LE1M       -             560.00 L    ---      -/ 1M    1 
  3    ME1M       -             652.00 M    ---      -/ 1M    1 
  4    KE2M       -             777.00 K    ---      -/ 2M    1 
  5    HE3M       -            1039.00 H    ---      -/ 3M    1 
  6    ENYCR      -            1200.00 E    ---      -/ 3M    1 
  7    HEOW       -   624.00   1248.00 H    ---      -/ 3M    1 
  8    ENYC       -   720.00   1440.00 E    ---      -/ 3M    1 
  9    RNYCR      -            1520.00 R    ---      -/ 3M    1 
 10    RNYC       -   912.00   1824.00 R    ---      -/ 3M    1 
 11    BR         -            2096.00 B    ---      -/12M    1 
 12    B          -  1258.00   2516.00 B    ---      -/12M    1 
 13    YR         -            4245.00 Y    ---      -/12M    1 
 14    WRT        -            4779.00 W    ---      -/12M    1 
 15    JR         -            4948.00 J    ---      -/12M    1 
 16    Y          -  2546.00   5092.00 Y    ---      -/12M    1‡
"Go show" refers to people holding a ticket on another day (or open date ticket) who show up at the airport and ask to take the flight on that day. If they hold a Y class ticket, I am not sure if CX can really deny that passenger from taking the flight. This is what I was wondering.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:57 pm

I don't understand how the quota works. I can understand why they are not opening for redemption. It is still one headcount, and worse of all, it is supposed to be "free".
No previous experience with anything like this, just was persistent in speaking with Cathay representative when calling the airline and was told this. She looked up my dates specifically and could see there was lots of availability on both flights but could not sell due to quota being met.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:40 am

seems to happen every month (including this one). annoying as hell
Old May 10, 2019, 3:18 pm

confirmed: Transborder quota in play

I too have been observing zero's across the board for seats; however, plane was 50%+ empty.
Sales agent on the CX US line was sympathetic and agreed it was frustrating. Basically they divide the quota restrictions up monthly, as soon as the quota is met for sales of the YVR/JFK/JFK/YVR the turn it all off. No sales, no redemption.. Feels like such a waste.

Anyhoo, was debating the options you have to work around this...

1- using a confirmed redemption ticket you have secured for later in the year and showing up on the date you want to fly and "force" your way on. I feel like this is a lot easier in HKG than if you were to try it at JFK since HKG has more ground managers/staff to make it happen- its a pretty big gamble too since travelling to JFK from manhattan is a pain compared to airport express from Central to HKG. Not a cheap way to find out if you can go if you are taking a taxi/uber/car.

2- redeeming the JFK-YVR-HKG flight and simply exiting in YVR...probably not a good use of miles but on a revenue ticket, might be cheaper and the only way to secure that seat. On the way back to JFK not sure if you can check in at YVR since you theoretically should have been checked in, in HKG so this solution probably only works for one-way travel in either direction

This is a big bummer as the freedom flight was scheduled for optimal times for workers.
You could work the day you want to travel in JFK and you can return to work in the morning on the return redeye without having lost any business hrs due to travel.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:29 pm

yeah really unfortunate
Old May 12, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Why don't CX just rid of the YVR-JFK-YVR route entirely and just give YVR two dedicated flights a day to/from HKG?

Anyone have an idea as to whether this quota can be changed if CX flew YVR-EWR instead of YVR-JFK?

Too bad AC dosen't have a red-eye from YVR-EWR. Their flight lands at EWR around 5PM and you lose an entire day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.