Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Failing to clear DM1600 bookable upgrades - any experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Failing to clear DM1600 bookable upgrades - any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Originally Posted by fairhsa
My request to Vancouver for May also did not clear yesterday. They told me to "try again later".

I've send customer service a long email about how pathetic this is and how it undermines loyalty rather than rewards it.
Space for whatever reason re-opened today, so I called them and finally got them to issue it (almost) instantly. The customer service agent physically walked over to the department handling bookable upgrades to make sure it would be done. So a good result in the end, although it did take a bit of pushing (not accepting that they'll just send an 'urgent request' via email).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:58 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by fairhsa
My request to Vancouver for May also did not clear yesterday. They told me to "try again later".

I've send customer service a long email about how pathetic this is and how it undermines loyalty rather than rewards it.
just curious who you wrote to and if they got back to you? Have a lot of BUDs that I want to burn but it’s A0 A0 and A0 across the board recently again...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
just curious who you wrote to and if they got back to you? Have a lot of BUDs that I want to burn but it’s A0 A0 and A0 across the board recently again...
FYI I have just checked the loading on the dates I want to fly back to LA and back. Previously it was F5 A0/F6 A1 and now it is F5 A4 both ways. Either I am just very lucky or A fare is gradually reappearing! Time to use my BUDs before those A fares disappear again!
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
I agree with the concerns. For the first (and now second) time ever I've had requests for upgrades from business to first denied, two in a row. The occasional one is okay - you can always pick a flight that's surprisingly busy - but two in a row suggests that A class availability is much less than it used to be. I've been crediting any flights above 1800 points to my BA account for the past year or two, aiming for Lifetime Gold there, now that the last junior has his own Cathay gold card, I can drop that to flights above 1600. But if the upgrade vouchers (which I've always found the most useful of the mid-tier benefits) can't generally be used, the interest in securing them is clearly going to be reduced and I may as well take the BAs to London since their pricing is a lot lower than Cathay's on the direct flights. However, to be fair to Cathay, I do also manage to get quite a few upgrades (after a waitlist) just by using Asia Miles, which have a much longer shelf life than the upgrade vouchers' 12 months.
QRC3288 likes this.

Last edited by Moscowflyer; Jan 18, 2019 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
I agree with the concerns. For the first (and now second) time ever I've had requests for upgrades from business to first denied, two in a row. The occasional one is okay - you can always pick a flight that's surprisingly busy - but two in a row suggests that A class availability is much less than it used to be. I've been crediting any flights above 1800 points to my BA account for the past year or two, aiming for Lifetime Gold there, now that the last junior has his own Cathay gold card, I can drop that to flights above 1600. But if the upgrade vouchers (which I've always found the most useful of the mid-tier benefits) can't generally be used, the interest in securing them is clearly going to be reduced and I may as well take the BAs to London since their pricing is a lot lower than Cathay's on the direct flights. However, to be fair to Cathay, I do also manage to get quite a few upgrades (after a waitlist) just by using Asia Miles, which have a much longer shelf life than the upgrade vouchers' 6 months.
Yes, the strongest factor of the 1600 point Diamond upgrades was their reliability of use from J to F. Although, it seems fitting that CX probably isn't aware of this. I doubt it even crossed their mind when they decided to uphold the mistake fare, the consequence of which was to seriously cut A share inventory. Which, of course has a very negative effect on the 1600 upgrades.

it remains to be seen if AM upgrade awards to F are impacted in a positive or negative direction. I think overall, it makes sense to assume AM upgrades will be seriously cut in the next 11 months too, just given the reduced inventory already. But there might be some unexpected benefits like increased op-ups, if the people who bought mistake fares are able to move their flights, and/or show a propensity to skip some of the flights they bought but aren't cancelling in advance, or at all. I think the end results are a) lower overall availability (duh) of F seats, and b) higher uncertainty for CX, for the F seats that remain.

Specific to this thread, what's really unfortunate is the downgrade of these 1600 CP upgrades, only 2 years after launch. And unlike some devaluations, this one really bites because it was unplanned. Intentional or not on behalf of CX, the enormous benefit of the 1600 upgrades was the "planability" of using them. They were vastly superior to just using Asia Miles to upgrade, which almost always involves waitlisting. 1600 upgrade coupons were essentially like buying A class.

Like you, I previously went for 1800 CP to score an extra GO for Mrs QRC. She is now Diamond, so 1600 is the target. But if these 1600 upgrades become glorified Asia Miles, I'll just aim for 1200 (I find the 1400 CP lounge passes pointless). Inevitably I've always hit a higher number than my CP "target", but that's not the main point. The point is my highest revenue spend on CX almost always translates into CP....more CP is a rough proxy for me spending more money on CX. When I'm aware I need more CP, the addiction of loyalty programs kicks in and my pocketbook is open to CX (versus looking to burn Asia Miles, other award programs, or outright buy revenue tickets on competitors). If this forum has had one major behavior change on me, it has gotten me to seriously diversify my spending onto other airlines. In the past, I would've been earning 3000+ CP on CX. Not anymore. Although I have landed higher than my CP target recently (2000 CP last year aiming for 1600, 2300 CP the year before aiming for 1800, etc.), what is true is that if I "aim" lower, I spend less on CX. And if I "aim" higher, I am spending more. Loyalty programs are utterly addicting and these 1600 upgrades, with their "planability" were a very clever addition. They essentially saved me the price of 4 F tickets a year at a J class price; What CX got for this F class discount was me gunning for more CP sometime in my membership year.

Until a month ago I would've told you, if you're spending a lot of money on airplane tickets and based in HK, it's a "no brainer" to go for 1600 and then figure out what to do with the rest of your spend after you get there. Now my message would be "jury is out" and wait and see another few weeks or month here on FT, whether people are able to use them like before. If not, 1600 is not a "no brainer" anymore and you might want to start diversifying your spend at 1200.
HaikalS and Shiojiri Hiro like this.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 17, 2019 at 4:50 pm Reason: added more context about CP at the bottom
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
However, to be fair to Cathay, I do also manage to get quite a few upgrades (after a waitlist) just by using Asia Miles, which have a much longer shelf life than the upgrade vouchers' 6 months.
I purposely stopped putting credit into MPC last year upon hitting 1,200 Club Points; I did not need to use the upgrade vouchers during this year, when I will have a lot of points expiring and need to burn.

Therefore, I was not aware that the validity of these vouchers is only 6 months now? I thought they were valid for 1 year upon earning them? Has this changed?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I purposely stopped putting credit into MPC last year upon hitting 1,200 Club Points; I did not need to use the upgrade vouchers during this year, when I will have a lot of points expiring and need to burn.

Therefore, I was not aware that the validity of these vouchers is only 6 months now? I thought they were valid for 1 year upon earning them? Has this changed?
You're correct! Validity of the BUD voucher is 1 year; not 6 months.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM

Wrote to the general Marco polo address. The manager called me back by phone and apologised (a few days ago, so perhaps the 15th? after the opening referred to above anyway). DIdn't help though. I am trying again today...

Is there any way to tell if A class is available? All I can see is something called "Flex" if I do a dummy booking. I'm guessing that's not A. But I tried about 2 months of dates and could not find a single day with anything else....
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:09 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Just an update - for my very unworthy-lowly-low-yielding-trashy outport POS, they seem to have restated a certain amount of A class inventory. Cool. (Hoping it's not temporary)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Just an update - for my very unworthy-lowly-low-yielding-trashy outport POS, they seem to have restated a certain amount of A class inventory. Cool. (Hoping it's not temporary)
As evidenced by my 2 BUDs clearing for HKG-JFK after an h successful attempt last week (then, the phone agent couldn’t find a single flight, in a 2 week window with a single A seat for HKG-JFK for one of the PoS’ in question).

btw, they don’t really make it clear if it is HKG or origin PoS inventory that is required...
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:15 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yet another BUD request failed

Non prime flight

F3A3 / F3A2 checked over multiple POS, married segment combos etc

"We cant do it" was the only explanation available.

Seriously this sucks...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Although my last set cleared, I’ve had a rather Long email exchange with theclub about these - started when my initial request was denied.

fairly cookie cutter/templat-ish (& long- will pm you), but reading between the lines, and going by experiences here, while these book into A/I, they do not come out of A/I inventory.

Also, these do seem to be higher priority than AM upgrades for DMs- they had added an upgrade waitlist when I’d been denied initially, that never came through but the next BUD request did go through (after they opened A availability for our PoS).
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:00 am

Yet another BUD request failed

Non prime flight

F3A3 / F3A2 checked over multiple POS, married segment combos etc

"We cant do it" was the only explanation available.

Seriously this sucks...
Was it because the POS your ticket originated does not have A fare selling? That is the ONLY reason they could decline you, no? If A fare from your POS was still available at the time you requested (i.e. still can buy A fare on CX website) then I'd certainly escalate. Multiple POS offering A fares isn't relevant if your POS doesn't and hence I think that could be the only reason they can't clear your BUD. It sucks and I hope you will get it cleared eventually.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Was it because the POS your ticket originated does not have A fare selling? That is the ONLY reason they could decline you, no? If A fare from your POS was still available at the time you requested (i.e. still can buy A fare on CX website) then I'd certainly escalate. Multiple POS offering A fares isn't relevant if your POS doesn't and hence I think that could be the only reason they can't clear your BUD. It sucks and I hope you will get it cleared eventually.
its a six sector itin that I have with I-I-I-I-I-I now
i can price/buy same dates a J-A-J-J-A-J itin
so I have no idea why they turned me down.
and I’ve cleared BUDs on complex itins like these before even involving partners/codeshares etc so yeah...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

its a six sector itin that I have with I-I-I-I-I-I now
i can price/buy same dates a J-A-J-J-A-J itin
so I have no idea why they turned me down.
and I’ve cleared BUDs on complex itins like these before even involving partners/codeshares etc so yeah...
would be curious if you provided updates. The past 2 years, I've treated these upgrades as de facto A fare availability. Bummer if they really have been hammered due to this Vietnam fare sale thing.

The fare you're buying sounds more "complex" than fares I'm familiar with. The most I'd ever have in an itinerary is 4 sectors, and usually just 1 or 2. Is it possible that's part of the problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.