Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Failing to clear DM1600 bookable upgrades - any experiences?

Failing to clear DM1600 bookable upgrades - any experiences?

Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I think just unlucky... I've booked quite a few JFK flights using bookable upgrades for both August and September before.. It's sometimes easier on CX846 than the earlier flights... just have to keep looking sometimes...
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Similar to posters above.

I just cleared four J->F for North America flights in December without issue, A fare was wide open. They confirmed within 48 hours and no pushback / problems.

I normally don't book this far in advance and was nervous they wouldn't clear based on what I'd read here, I hadn't burned a single cert all year. But no issue.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
thanks all. loos like my 4 are going to waste this year.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:39 pm

ExpertFLyer showing A5 on one of the flights I want. Not sure why they are telling me I cannot use the upgrade.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
ExpertFLyer showing A5 on one of the flights I want. Not sure why they are telling me I cannot use the upgrade.
Could it be a POS issue?

I recall G-CIVC having issues before detailed in another thread. IIRC it might've had something to do with the origin of the whole ticket purchase. I think they were ex-XXX tickets. Are you possibly buying the underlying biz tickets from outports?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Could it be a POS issue?

I recall G-CIVC having issues before detailed in another thread. IIRC it might've had something to do with the origin of the whole ticket purchase. I think they were ex-XXX tickets. Are you possibly buying the underlying biz tickets from outports?
yes, indeed i am.
Is it possible to accurately use ExpertFlyer to assess XXX-HKG-JFK, and reverse, availability? I am new to it.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:30 pm

yes, indeed i am.
Is it possible to accurately use ExpertFlyer to assess XXX-HKG-JFK, and reverse, availability? I am new to it.
that is above my pay grade. hopefully others will chime in.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:35 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
yes, indeed i am.
When you search availability in expertflyer, there is an option to choose point of sale. See if your point of sale is listed.
Jane's Addiction likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:12 am

Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:25 am

All signs point to A fare being available on one of my booked legs when accounting for the POS, despite what MPC is telling me. Guess I need to force the issue.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:42 am

All signs point to A fare being available on one of my booked legs when accounting for the POS, despite what MPC is telling me. Guess I need to force the issue.
If you could follow-up, that'd be greatly appreciated...the predictability of those J->F certs is what made them so valuable.

Are you traveling ex-Vietnam?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Where is your XXX-HKG-JFK from? I think the POS in ExpertFlyer has to be same as XXX.

For me, I haven't done bookable upgrades but have done quite a few paid A class to / from JFK with no problem this year.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
IIRC from the other posts Jane’s Addiction does travel ex Vietnam, but not on the mistake fare..

going back to the older thread, do think that while it’s closely corelated, it isn’t simply a case of A class available => bookable upgrade clears..Masse had evaded my question with a faffy response, but stayed clear from confirming that A class availability is what counts (something along the lines that ‘we cannot disclose the award availability for the bookable upgrades, but it’s higher than regular award availability, and that these book into A’...’Into A’and not ‘from A’)
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
IIRC from the other posts Jane’s Addiction does travel ex Vietnam, but not on the mistake fare..

going back to the older thread, do think that while it’s closely corelated, it isn’t simply a case of A class available => bookable upgrade clears..Masse had evaded my question with a faffy response, but stayed clear from confirming that A class availability is what counts (something along the lines that ‘we cannot disclose the award availability for the bookable upgrades, but it’s higher than regular award availability, and that these book into A’...’Into A’and not ‘from A’)
Highly useful.

Based on what he said / the feeling you got, is there any subjectivity to it (CIV scores, random rankings of us we're not aware of, etc.)? Or is it just some rule based system that they won't disclose the formula for?

Based on his/her history here, Jane's Addiction doesn't exactly sound like the world's cheapest traveler. But "CX logic" also can prove not very clever. This is a big company and sometimes they do things which aren't so smart at an individual level.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I think that it’s rule based as the agents were able to tell on the phone pretty quickly if a bookable upgrade is available or not. (‘Nothing’, back in Feb/March, ‘Other flight on that day’ in April, ‘Yes’ in May - though they did ask me to put the request in through the online system, but that they would ‘hold’ it for me while reservations changed the existing ticket / I ticketed the underlying booking /sent the request through).

Do think that PoS/A availability is a factor (kind of like for awards for married segments)- but no clue as to the how.

“They have been well received as they come with higher inventory than Asia Miles redemptions (since they have been designed to reward members like you exceeding the Diamond renewal threshold) however to your point, I can’t guarantee that these complimentary upgrades’ availability will always match the availability of Revenue seats you refer too.”
(I had asked about A/whether PoS/if so which PoS- HKG or the underlying ticket’s).

@sxc @cxfan1960 - might it be better to merge this thread with the other one?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...periences.html
G-CIVC likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.