Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Failing to clear DM1600 bookable upgrades - any experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Failing to clear DM1600 bookable upgrades - any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
@QRC3288

Yes, it is a part of the problem, but that’s not the whole story.

A availability for PoS X, (for say HKG-LHR on a X-HKG-LHR-HKG-X routing) will likely be lower than for PoS as HKG. However, we are now seeing examples where these upgrades are not clearing, despite there being A class availability- both for HKG and X Points of Sale.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:15 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Update - successfully cleared (or so I hope - my baggage allowance is not showing on MMB and the flight is now F0A0 so I hope my ticket is intact and i don't get IDBed!)

But fortunately it sounds more like what QRC3288 suggests over jagmeets - most likely a technical issue - I had tongue-wrestled with them for hours before they finally caved in, since a higher up (after multiple calls, back and forth etc) agreed that they should give me the upgrade since there is J-A-J-J-A-J availability that I can price/buy online.

But in the process they pulled an 'A fare available doesn't mean this can be done' statement on me more than once, so I still remain quite cautious (after my multiple incidences of difficulty using these certificates) that they might just as well start to gradually cut down the flexibility/usability of these certificates...

To be fair to CX, on simpler itineraries (and high yielding origins) I've had no problem using these certificates although their usual habit to take as long as 72 hours to process this (when in reality can be done instantly/within an hour over the phone/if needed) is mildly annoying
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Update - successfully cleared (or so I hope - my baggage allowance is not showing on MMB and the flight is now F0A0 so I hope my ticket is intact and i don't get IDBed!)

But fortunately it sounds more like what QRC3288 suggests over jagmeets - most likely a technical issue - I had tongue-wrestled with them for hours before they finally caved in, since a higher up (after multiple calls, back and forth etc) agreed that they should give me the upgrade since there is J-A-J-J-A-J availability that I can price/buy online.

But in the process they pulled an 'A fare available doesn't mean this can be done' statement on me more than once, so I still remain quite cautious (after my multiple incidences of difficulty using these certificates) that they might just as well start to gradually cut down the flexibility/usability of these certificates...

To be fair to CX, on simpler itineraries (and high yielding origins) I've had no problem using these certificates although their usual habit to take as long as 72 hours to process this (when in reality can be done instantly/within an hour over the phone/if needed) is mildly annoying
what is the routing caused this?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC

Glad that you got it in the end! Sounds kinda like how my last set went!
”A fare available doesn’t mean that this can be done’ is worrying!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:42 am

Ah - the super agents..

Amidst the gloom-doom, I ended up needing to change my flights for the last set of bookable upgrades (now expired).

One 11 minute call, to lookup BUD availability, change the underlying booking (the fare has a small change fee - processed by another agent on the same call), extend the validity of the BUDs, and apply the same. Well, not entirely, since there's a bit of wait for the underlying ticket's re-issuance, but the call ended with a 'I will monitor the ticket - when re-issued, will work on the BUD, you may need to call back for specific seats' - to which I laughed 'Oh yeah - 2A is blocked online'.

3 minutes after the call, MMB shows First with 1/2 A assigned (takes atleast a bit of smart/logic to extend the 2A mentioned to 1/2A for two).

Back on topic: BUD availability mirrored what the A fare availability for my PoS was, this time.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Amidst the gloom-doom, I ended up needing to change my flights for the last set of bookable upgrades (now expired).

One 11 minute call, to lookup BUD availability, change the underlying booking (the fare has a small change fee - processed by another agent on the same call), extend the validity of the BUDs, and apply the same. Well, not entirely, since there's a bit of wait for the underlying ticket's re-issuance, but the call ended with a 'I will monitor the ticket - when re-issued, will work on the BUD, you may need to call back for specific seats' - to which I laughed 'Oh yeah - 2A is blocked online'.

3 minutes after the call, MMB shows First with 1/2 A assigned (takes atleast a bit of smart/logic to extend the 2A mentioned to 1/2A for two).

Back on topic: BUD availability mirrored what the A fare availability for my PoS was, this time.
Just wondered how long did you manage to extend your BUD for?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert
Just wondered how long did you manage to extend your BUD for?
These were used late Jan and had a Feb-end expiry, used them today, right on the same call.

Earlier, in Jan, on the initial failure to use, an agent had told me ‘can be extended up to 6 months, but you need to call in’.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:30 am

These were used late Jan and had a Feb-end expiry, used them today, right on the same call.

Earlier, in Jan, on the initial failure to use, an agent had told me ‘can be extended up to 6 months, but you need to call in’.
Thanks and when can you extend it?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by londonexpert
Thanks and when can you extend it?
No clue- I reckon that these will disappear online, for I was told something along the lines, ‘please call back when it expires, when you want to use, and we can request to extend for max 6months’

I would call in just before expiry to have something on record..
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:03 pm

Ah ok! Thanks good to know there are some flexibility
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Made a booking two months in advance with the intention of using a BUD for JFK-HKG, which was showing F2A2 at the time of booking. MPC took the full 72 hours to get back to me and within that time, F and A zeroed out (error farers rebooking due to the protest disruption?). Called to change my flight to one with A availability, but they wanted to charge me the reissue fee. Pleaded to waive the fee since I only booked that particular flight due to it being one of the few that was showing A availability and since this whole Vietnam error fare has really taken a toll on availability. Three of the four JFK-HKG flights were showing F/A zeroed out 2 months in advance, which to my recollection, is absolutely unheard of. They wouldn't give in, so I ended up paying and rebooked for the previous day via YVR - not my ideal routing.

The amount of business I have shifted away from CX this year because of limited A availability is laughable. Cleared 1800 CP within five months into my membership year and haven't had a paid flight with them since. The above flight will be the first of my next membership cycle. Took AF and SQ F and that really opened my eyes to what an F product should be...
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:44 pm

Sucks. Plain & Simple.

Meanwhile, this might help: put a booking on hold (or one with a free cancel, like my last exUS ticket for 24hrs), call in to confirm/agree and ask them to hold the BUD (took a supervisor), and then, put in the request via the online system.

There was a bit of non standard ‘agreeing’, when I did this, but in case it’s of help to anyone...
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Sucks. Plain & Simple.

Meanwhile, this might help: put a booking on hold (or one with a free cancel, like my last exUS ticket for 24hrs), call in to confirm/agree and ask them to hold the BUD (took a supervisor), and then, put in the request via the online system.

There was a bit of non standard ‘agreeing’, when I did this, but in case it’s of help to anyone...
Good idea. Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Recent success using bookable upgrades into A class?

Am trying to confirm a HKG - JFK / ORD - JFK bookable upgrade for late Sep and see NO A class availability for several days either side. Healthy F availability.

Is this still fallout from the mispriced ex-VN fares, or am I just really unlucky on my dates?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:23 am

HKG-JFK//ORD-HKG is my regular run- Had a torrid time earlier in the year, it’s been reasonably fine after the initial ‘all A zeroed out’ phase. I do tend to take 846 to JFK and have had 3 upgrades clear on that. I’ve now taken to asking the agents to check for upgrade availability, hold it, and then finalise my underlying flights/changes.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...periences.html

edit: no clue, but is it possible that they’ve tightened A fareclass availability overall, in light of the goings on at HKG? After the ‘no go +-2 weeks to JFK’ period, I’ve been ok getting the upgrades clear on flights with non zero A class availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.