Search

Newbie using F class.......

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Hey, you're not the one cleaning it up!
Exactly, and that's why I don't like them. I always feel guilty about splashing water everywhere that someone has to clean up.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Exactly, and that's why I don't like them. I always feel guilty about splashing water everywhere that someone has to clean up.
Ironically (though this is HK, not the US) the opposite issue cropped up recently with Marriott hotels. Seems too many people were taking points instead of housecleaning and now the housekeepers don't have enough work.

And in Oregon, you cannot pump your own gas by law. Now, it isn't a very desirable job (gas station attendant) but I guess people want it.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Folks... just to update my first experience in first class cabin on a red eye flight with full occupied flight. Here’s my summary, may be usefull for next newbie...
  1. Before take off, purser came to ask what I like to have for meals so she can ‘reserve’ and when I like to be served “...”, that’s in my mind. I explain it’s my first experience and she explained with a friendly smile. Anyway, I settle with ‘shortly after takeoff’ and ‘before landing’ just like in J.
  2. SP ask about my size for pajama and I asked for a lady’s ‘S’ and she added if also wanted a female amenities? There’s no issue. I believe many had the same request before. It seems the pajama is unisex, not sure. I will find out if I should request for a ‘XS’ for a small Asian woman on my next flight.
  3. Shortly after take off, cabin’s lights were dimmed to mood lightings. Kind of dark when they served me dinner/supper. Food was presented elegantly but I don’t feel the food to be that great as to write home about. Although the portion is bigger than in J. However, I do like the caviar, I can taste it’s better quality than the US$130 I purchase in Costco. I can’t tell if I am the only one being served as the mini cabin is very private. I can’t hear nor see other mini cabins unless I stand up and even if I stand I can only see the mini cabin behind me clearly and not the rest. There was no welcome card presented as I seen it in YouTube.
  4. Now to the hot topic, changing to my basketball shorts and T-shirt after dinner/supper. I personally feel it is fine. When purser set up my bed, I went to change. Do note that the Cabin has been dimmed to mood lighting and it’s not dark dark but it’s dark. I’m sure no one saw or knew I have changed. When I returned after changing, purser is gone with a LED lighted up for me in my mini cabin. It feels I am alone in the whole cabin. Even during middle of the flight when I go to the bathroom, I don’t see the purser or SP. The galley is darked. Wonder where did they hide. I meant it’s very quiet and private. No one walk around or even passing through the cabin.
  5. Conclusion,
  • Seat is wide and comfortable, excellent for a good sleep for a red eye flight, which means I did not explore much in the cabin. Just eat and sleep, did not even watch TV
  • One can tell the seat is old but still in good condition, hope CX will upgrade or refresh soon
  • Food is so-so, not like having a meal in French Laundry or close to that class as I anticipated
  • If one wants to fully enjoy the full meal, don’t eat too much before flight
wyskevin likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JohnGreat
  • Food is so-so, not like having a meal in French Laundry or close to that class as I anticipated
That's not a realistic expectation for an airplane that is in many cases reheating blast-chilled meals made in bulk in an industrial kitchen. I've eaten in a number of airlines' F cabins and at places like Per Se and Joël Robuchon. No comparison. And that's not even getting into the fact that diminished air pressure in airplanes reduces your ability to taste flavors.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
3. Shortly after take off, cabin’s lights were dimmed to mood lightings. Kind of dark when they served me dinner/supper. Food was presented elegantly but I don’t feel the food to be that great as to write home about. Although the portion is bigger than in J. However, I do like the caviar, I can taste it’s better quality than the US$130 I purchase in Costco. I can’t tell if I am the only one being served as the mini cabin is very private. I can’t hear nor see other mini cabins unless I stand up and even if I stand I can only see the mini cabin behind me clearly and not the rest. There was no welcome card presented as I seen it in YouTube.
Food usually tastes different at 10+km up. I enjoy the F food, but just because I usually don't eat on flight in other cabins (I only flew long-haul F four times on CX though). I did have a welcome card last time (three months ago - I was op-upped at gate). I also had two sets of caviar that time. Caviar is very good, although I doubt it costs $130. I also had a few glasses of Blue Label.

5. Conclusion,
  • Seat is wide and comfortable, excellent for a good sleep for a red eye flight, which means I did not explore much in the cabin. Just eat and sleep, did not even watch TV
Sleep... Not a very good use of F travel IMHO.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: pleb
Before take off, purser came to ask what I like to have for meals so she can ‘reserve’ and when I like to be served “...”, that’s in my mind. I explain it’s my first experience and she explained with a friendly smile. Anyway, I settle with ‘shortly after takeoff’ and ‘before landing’ just like in J.
Nothing out of the ordinary. F is dine on demand so you eat when you want to eat.

There's really...nothing much to explore in the cabin. Just 6 cabin pods and aisles...

Ok this is just unrealistic expectations. This is airplane food, not a full restaurant with kitchen.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Sleep... Not a very good use of F travel IMHO.
Or possibly the best! I sleep better in CX F than I do in my own bed.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Or possibly the best! I sleep better in CX F than I do in my own bed.
Totally! Let's see... no phones, no email, no pets, no children (wanting to do stuff), no chores. Airplanes are great for catching up on much needed sleep.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:59 am

I have never understood the need for dressing up to sit on a plane regardless of where, especially for long flights and doubly especially in a world where F services are being reduced to J++.

These cabins cost a ton, in money or awards. If you have them and are willing to spend it, unless you’re not completely offensive, what’s the issue?

(I travel in shorts and shirts almost all of the time)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
I have never understood the need for dressing up to sit on a plane regardless of where, especially for long flights and doubly especially in a world where F services are being reduced to J++.

These cabins cost a ton, in money or awards. If you have them and are willing to spend it, unless you’re not completely offensive, what’s the issue?

(I travel in shorts and shirts almost all of the time)
Yeah, that's the typical life approach, which distinguishes "new money" people from people with a more proper amount of "class".

Having gained a lot of money, in whatever way, does not qualify for improper behavior.......

Maybe get some basic ethics education, especially the "why", to start understanding the difference.

You don't have to travel in business attire, though trailer trash clothing can be considered not done, etc. The way how a group of people do present itself, does reflect on the general behavior of that group. Have a look at all those "Spirit" and other extreme LCC stories, ehhh, experiences.
DiamondMile and wyskevin like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:24 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cambo
Yeah, that's the typical life approach, which distinguishes "new money" people from people with a more proper amount of "class".

Having gained a lot of money, in whatever way, does not qualify for improper behavior.......

Maybe get some basic ethics education, especially the "why", to start understanding the difference.

You don't have to travel in business attire, though trailer trash clothing can be considered not done, etc. The way how a group of people do present itself, does reflect on the general behavior of that group. Have a look at all those "Spirit" and other extreme LCC stories, ehhh, experiences.
I connected to F on a flight to Jakarta wearing beat-up khaki trousers and a sweater after a complicated near-three day journey which involved a long layover in Hong Kong, trousers had all sorts of black marks from my luggage too! I messed up and left all my other trousers in my checked-baggage (which was checked all the way to my final destination).

Once I got to the boarding F line at HKG, I was met with stares by this millennial "hypebeast" couple who were wearing supreme/off-white clothes, shoes, and hats along with the matching luggage and duffle bags. Both kept staring at me from the J line, seemingly expecting me to be kicked out of the F line

became funnier once I boarded and settled in my seat, were I was then met with a surprised expression and evil looks by the couple as they slowly walked to 11 A/D in J. I was speechless.
wyskevin, DiamondMile and bowzer91 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.