Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie using F class.......

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by sxc
It is highly unlikely that you will get an extra pyjama set. These are strictly controlled in the inventory list of the crew.
They’re not as tightly controlled as amenity kits. I once got the wrong size without realising until after I had opened the bag, and the crew happily gave me a bunch more to keep. On other occasions I’ve even been proactively offered extras even though I had no real need for them.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:55 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Travelling in shorts in F class, whatever kind of shorts, is politically VERY incorrect.
I totally agree!

IMHO, shorts would not show enough "class" for F or J.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
... CX U.S.-bound flights often depart from gates 1-4.
Yes, although I had my HKG-ORD flight depart from gate 60 once. That as great for the Pier access. I prefer the Pier in the mornings.

Note that from the departure gates, you can ride the train to the high numbered gates but not the other way.

OP, you would be so bored if you spent 12 hours in the airport (lounges). Don't do that!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by roberto99
I totally agree!

IMHO, shorts would not show enough "class" for F or J.
Let alone bare feet
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:29 pm

I suppose 3 year old children would be just fine in shorts....
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by JohnGreat
Folks,
Need some advises on my upcoming trip on CX’s F class in a few weeks. Pardon my ignorance, this is my 1st and I bet will be my only opportunity to fly via F class. Remind myself as if I am one of the “The Beverly Hillbillies” …….. Any feedback are welcome. Here are my questions,
  1. I’ll be flying F class from SFO – HKG with a transit time of two hours before my connecting flight which will be in J class
    • Based on what I have read, I am still entitled to use F class lounge in HKG although my connecting flight is in J. Am I correct?
    • Assuming my arrival is on time, will 90 minutes sufficient for me to have a decent breakfast either in the Wing’s/Pier’s F lounge, not the buffet? Without rushing. I am estimating 30 minutes for walking from my embarking gate and disembarking gate plus passing through security. I just pray it’s not one in Gate 1 and the other in Gate 60. BTW, @ 6ish in the morning, are the F lounge fully open?
    • I tried to change to a later connecting flight but MPC said I will have to pay penalty for making changes. For US$300, I’ll pass. Any work around?
  2. Can I request for a lady’s amenity kit although I am an old man? When do I request? At check-in or on the flight? I never use those amenities anyway and do not intend to use the F class pajama, because someone has already begging for 2 sets (Round trip)
    • Will it be alright if I change to my T-Shirt and shorts just as I do when I normally flew in J? The last thing I want to hear is someone mentioning a wield old man wearing boxer short and T-Shirt running around in F cabin.
  3. On my return flight from HKG - SFO, I intend to head to the airport right after checking out @ noon although my departure time is 1am
    • Will that be too much? Again, I will be very upset if I later read someone writing on “CX Secret” about a Golden Mountain big uncle living in CX’s F lounge and hopping around lounges
    • I plan to explore both The Wing’s and the Pier’s F class lounge during those 12 hours.
      • I even plan to take a bath/shower and not at the hotel. Which lounge for bath do you suggest? Wing or Pier? May I assume F lounge hopping is allowed?
      • I will like to have lunch, afternoon tea and dinner plus supper before I head to my departure gate @ 00:30
      • I plan to use “The Retreat” in the afternoon for resting. No massage planed
      • Anything else I can do or experience in the lounge?
      • Is there a way to predict which gate my flight will be departing from?
Please do post a trip report !!!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
JohnGreat

while I respect others’ views- you will have no issues/awkwardness whatsoever being in shorts in CX F.

With the exception of some flights on US carriers, I find cabins to be too hot, and am almost always travelling in shorts. Not boxers, but smart ones.. though I do on occasion change into something comfier yet when sleeping (again, not boxers!). Do make half an attempt to appear ‘smart’ at times at the wife’s bidding, but that’s a shirt which gets swapped to a collared tee inflight.

Across cabins, including, more than a handful on CX F.. across ticket types. No awkwardness from the crew, ever- or, from fellow passengers for that matter, except a slightly bemused look from a nattily dressed chap once- he probably thought that I’d had a lucky upgrade to F..but the crew’s loud & cheery ‘welcome back mr xxx’ to me was the end of that.

edit to add: this seems to be a special trip- go right ahead and make the most of it- no one will judge you, and even if someone does- big deal!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by brunos
Travelling in shorts in F class, whatever kind of shorts, is politically VERY incorrect.
Jeez, never knew people felt so strongly about shorts in F (or J as someone said). I've definitely flown F in shorts, but I always dress smartly, not anything baggy or tacky. I tend to get hot in cabins, especially in J and F with actual blankets, so pants/PJ pants get too uncomfortable for me. Interestingly, I've seen plenty of people in F not wearing shorts but looking like they just rolled out of bed (loose T, sweatpants, etc), so IMO it's all about presentation. If you can wear shorts but still look neat and proper, by all means go for it.

But at the end of the day, you do you. You're paying for comfort in F/J, why do something that's going to make you uncomfortable.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jagmeets
... you will have no issues/awkwardness whatsoever being in shorts in CX F.
The passenger in shorts may not have any issues wearing shorts, but I suggest that they are not appropriate. Sure, call me an old fuddy duddy; and perhaps I am. And while I don't advocate a return to the days where men wore suits and ties to travel on a plane, shorts in international F are below what I would consider an appropriate level of dress in that situation. OTOH, everyone is free to do what they want. So while I won't wear them, you are free to. And I won't judge you therefor, at least too much.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The passenger in shorts may not have any issues wearing shorts, but I suggest that they are not appropriate. Sure, call me an old fuddy duddy; and perhaps I am. And while I don't advocate a return to the days where men wore suits and ties to travel on a plane, shorts in international F are below what I would consider an appropriate level of dress in that situation. OTOH, everyone is free to do what they want. So while I won't wear them, you are free to. And I won't judge you therefor, at least too much.
Okay, I am going to open a can of worms here but ...I'm enjoying reading this topic.

One thing I would ask is, is it appropriate to wear shorts in "domestic" F (vs "international" F, which I think is an American phraseology)? And if it's acceptable in domestic F, say ORD to SFO or JFK to SFO, what about me wearing shorts to HND on CX in F? HKG to HND is a shorter flight....and regardless, I have no "domestic" F flights I can take on CX regardless! And even then, I know there are different "types" of US airline "domestic First"....some are better than others. Is one okay and the other not? It all kinda seems silly to me. Especially since where we are based may well determine what types of flights are available to us.

What might be a 1,2,34x year affair flying "international" F for a US based person is a 30x+ a year affair for me based in Hong Kong (this year counting, it is nearly 40). Must I dress up each time? It would be rather tedious considering I'm not always dressing up or prepping for a flight in CX F. (Or, admittedly other flights in F). I'll add, many of those flights are shorter F (to HND, PEK, SIN, DXB) but they are still "international" F by every definition I think.

​​​​​
Anyway now I realize I'm really going into the irrelevant/ pointless argument spectrum. . And sadly I'm afraid I'm contradicting some guys I quite respect in here and may be losing whatever tiny amount of esteem you may have for me! Haha I will also add, to cover my bases I rare wear shorts in F just given I'm often coming from work. But I admit I don't go out of my way to "care" what I'm wearing in F, and had never really thought I was supposed to dress up, even though I guess I do much of the time. A few weeks ago I was in meetings pre flight, got to HND, had a call, got on board, and relieved changed out of my suit in the F bathroom into far more comfortable fare: jeans and a tee shirt.

Final point. I subscribe to the camp that says hey, if we have a dress code in F, let's apply ot everywhere! It feels a little off to me to say F should dress a certain way, as if F is full of civilized folk versus the heathens in the back. I've seen totally uncivilized behavior in all classes!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Final point. I subscribe to the camp that says hey, if we have a dress code in F, let's apply ot everywhere! It feels a little off to me to say F should dress a certain way, as if F is full of civilized folk versus the heathens in the back. I've seen totally uncivilized behavior in all classes!
Haha indeed. I've never found myself in shorts in any class on a CX flight (mostly due to the onboard temperature and personal preference) but bear in mind that a percentage of folks at least in short-haul F will always be opups who may or may not have expected to find themselves in F on the day.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by QRC3288
One thing I would ask is, is it appropriate to wear shorts in "domestic" F (vs "international" F, which I think is an American phraseology)?
I made the domestic/international distinction because, as an American, I'm aware that American standards in dress are often more relaxed than foreign standards.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I don't subscribe to the notion of a dress code in F, but the way the OP mentioned 'boxer shorts' it immediately sounded 'not quite right'. The OP can use the PJs provided on the outbound for the flight home as well (take them with him from the first flight). That way there's at least one new pair of PJs to take home as a gift.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Nile_US
Damn! I didn't know I could take the amenity kit home! I really liked the one I got on my LAX-HKG, J flight a couple of weeks ago and was thinking but didn't want to be "THAT" type of a person!! I am gonna do it next time, if I get another free op-up! ;-)
Once opened the kit has to be thrown away if you don't take it with you (health and safety considerations). I'd reckon most people take them, if not for themselves then for gifts. You see a few left behind, but not all that many.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Dr.HFH - fair- and we can respectfully disagree on what’s acceptable or not! And no, I won’t call you an old fuddy duddy- not that you would but it’s ok if I or anyone else in shorts get called a hippie(not that I am of the age group anymore..)- not my problem!
(but hey, we gotta respect a hippe who gets to travel F- any which way!)

I do think that this:

is better than any of these suits:
https://solecollector.com/news/2015/...ba-draft-suits

QRC3288: naah- not losing any respect- atleast not here. Infact, given the ‘leave the passenger alone unless asked’ ethos- perhaps, CX wants to play to the ‘let them do what they want to, within reason’ line..

LHR/MEL/Europe FF: I think the OP used boxers by mistake- definitely, no boxers please!

All: rather than shorts/PJs etc, what I have had a problem has been the amount of bling a co-passenger brought on a couple of flights- felt like getting my sunglasses out..But hey- CX was ok with that! (And one of them was a reasonably popular Asian star..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.