Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CHINA SOUTHERN officially left SKYTEAM, strengthen cooperation with AA

Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: CATHAY PACIFIC

Will CX leave ONEWORLD if CHINA SOUTHERN join in the future?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL

I'm not seeing any official announcements of CZ leaving SkyTeam.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Chinese news source here: ???????????????? ??????_????_???

Basically, CZ will not renew the contract effective 01JAN2019. There will be a transition time in 2019 to ensure a smooth transition, and CZ will strengthen ties with AA. CZ thinks positively of the collaboration with SkyTeam.

On the other hand, the report mistakenly took a fan post that CZ would join OW to be real.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:55 am

But I am pretty sure CZ will join OW.
CX will hold the veto but I doubt CX will use it.

I do not think CX will leave OW also
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Perhaps an opportunity for OW? I think OW is really lacking destinations in mainland China. But of course I dont think CX would be happy about it.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by SLGO
Perhaps an opportunity for OW? I think OW is really lacking destinations in mainland China. But of course I dont think CX would be happy about it.
Well, CZ joining OW would the complaining HKG based CX fanclub certainly give an opportunity to find out how much "greener" the grass is outside the dark green CX colours.........

On the other hand, I can understand KL/AF might not be that happy about CZ leaving ST, effectively reducing their reach from EUR to inside China and as such opening up even more ME3 pathways from EUR to China.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:57 am

Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Official SkyTeam press release: https://www.skyteam.com/en/about/pre...hina-Southern/

I wonder if MF will follow.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:15 am

Maybe it is the reason why CX and QF improve the relationship
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CZ isnt going to take away many CX passengers and CX isnt going to take away many CX passengers. This is more about mainland China domestic. Hopefully there is finally a one world option for China domestic flyers. Im in SHA so will likely continue my SkyTeam loyalty but its nice to have a OW option if it comes to that.

I dont think CZ is going to leave SkyTeam and be alliance less for long. OW is their obvious landing point.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:16 am

CX and CZ are not really competitors, are they? Would North American passengers weigh them for their connecting flights to Southeast Asia? Would European passengers weigh them to get to Australia? They are in entirely different market segments. I think it's more a mainland Chinese carriers vs. ME3 question.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SilverChris

I'm not seeing any official announcements of CZ leaving SkyTeam.
Per Reuters
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...KCN1NK0ZS?il=0

In addition, this is really going to be a real challenge for CX if CZ runs for OneWorld, but to me this is highly UNLIKELY even CZ is leaving ST!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by hkskyline
CX and CZ are not really competitors, are they? Would North American passengers weigh them for their connecting flights to Southeast Asia?
They are competitors for those transit passengers. CZ is usually cheaper (and some times significantly cheaper) than CX on SE Asia routes. Having said that, those that already fly CX will continue to fly CX and vice versa. Assuming CZ joins OW, any additional passengers that CZ will pick up due to OW miles/status will be offset by losing skyteam passengers so the effect should be minimal. It's the china routes where it matters.

I wish it was MU and not CZ that leaves skyteam (and joins OW). MU is usually even cheaper than CZ to SE Asia in J.

Last edited by Rivarix; Nov 15, 2018 at 7:27 am
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
CX should sponsor CZ to join Oneworld as an alternative to get 9th air right in China
fishball and GorillaW like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:58 am

Here comes the speculative rumors about CX joining *A

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.