Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Shortest route with guaranteed 10 abreast Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold

The curious side of me wants to try out the 10 abreast YCL seats on CX; what would be the shortest route with the retrofitted aircraft guaranteed?

Another option is that I have an upcoming flight on a 77G that’s refitted; would it be acceptable to ask an FA to test out the stead mid flight or would it be really unacceptable to the pax seated next to the empty seat (if there are any)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by hl176
The curious side of me wants to try out the 10 abreast YCL seats on CX; what would be the shortest route with the retrofitted aircraft guaranteed?

Another option is that I have an upcoming flight on a 77G that’s refitted; would it be acceptable to ask an FA to test out the stead mid flight or would it be really unacceptable to the pax seated next to the empty seat (if there are any)
Shortest route: Purchase a full flex ticket on a LH with the 10 abreast, board, try out the seat and before the door closes, report to the cabin crew, you changed your mind and want to deplane.

Take care to not bring any hold luggage, please.
OneWorldLoyalist likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Another option is that I have an upcoming flight on a 77G that’s refitted; would it be really unacceptable to the pax seated next to the empty seat (if there are any)
If the FA's allow, I suppose you could do a temporary swap with a stranger. They might look at you funny but that's a good offer for them!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is it a slow day in the office or FT?

Why would anyone like to experience the torture?
fairhsa, hessbo, royng and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I've done it once. Am now actively planning on avoiding doing it again.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

But are there currently any short regional routes with the retrofitted aircraft guaranteed?

For the seat trial, what I meant was ask an FA to go back and sit there for 10-15 min and then go back, not swap with someone else. I would never swap for a long haul flight lol
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
But are there currently any short regional routes with the retrofitted aircraft guaranteed?
Don't worry now. They will come. It is only a matter of when.

For the seat trial, what I meant was ask an FA to go back and sit there for 10-15 min and then go back, not swap with someone else. I would never swap for a long haul flight lol
If you seriously want the true torturous experience, then do HKG-JFK.

10-15 minutes won't feel much.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: MPC, HH & others
Cx 658 sin-hkg
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Don't worry now. They will come. It is only a matter of when.

If you seriously want the true torturous experience, then do HKG-JFK.

10-15 minutes won't feel much.
Lol; typically what is the timeframe before before CX will retrofit every aircraft.

Honestly speaking though, how does one know if an empty seat is empty or it's blocked - is it better to clarify with a purser beforehand?

Originally Posted by Hottub Cowboy
Cx 658 sin-hkg
Thanks, good to know
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
Have a buddy who just flew on the 10 abreast econ seating and he noted that it is alot more cramped then the regular 9 abreast.... I am not looking forward to my next long haul econ on a 10-abreast...... Anyone have any clue when CX will complete the overhaul?
royng likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by randomeejit
Anyone have any clue when CX will complete the overhaul?
The way I see it - HAECO reserves its best slots/schedules for actual paying customers, i.e. non-CX/KA planes will get serviced first. I believe it will take longer than you think.
OneWorldLoyalist likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:50 pm

I had a recent Y booking on a flight that got allocated a 10 abreast 77W... luckily I got an op up so all I can report is that those seats look fancy and reasonably well laid out but CRAMPED.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Hottub Cowboy
Cx 658 sin-hkg
No it's not. A quick look shows even today's is 9.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Though not guaranteed but I believe CX does try to roster their retrofitted 77A planes for the Tokyo HND CX548/549 flights. This is one route they really need the extra capacity to cater for the demand. The few times I checked on these flights (for redemption purposes) they have always been 77A.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: CX DM, Shang Jade, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CXYYZ
I had a recent Y booking on a flight that got allocated a 10 abreast 77W... luckily I got an op up so all I can report is that those seats look fancy and reasonably well laid out but CRAMPED.
Originally Posted by randomeejit
Have a buddy who just flew on the 10 abreast econ seating and he noted that it is alot more cramped then the regular 9 abreast.... I am not looking forward to my next long haul econ on a 10-abreast...... Anyone have any clue when CX will complete the overhaul?
For sure. I just flew on CX715 (2000 dep) down from HKG-SIN last night in 10 abreast. First off we were delayed 45 mins, then there was no gate change announcement in The Wing (previously was gate 2). Noticed we had to huff it down to the buses as the plane was parked out on the stand. (Which begs why the original delay "due to late arrival of incoming aircraft" - pilot later said this aircraft was in the hangar for maintenance and then towed to the stand).

Point is we have to line up in the four lines, get on the buses, and then board the 10-abreast aircraft through via the stairs. It was cramped, took forever to board - clearly not enough overhead space with many folks bringing rollaboards and hand carry bags.

The 8pm to SIN already has abysmal ontime performance - and I don't see this improving with the slower boarding and deplaning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.