Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Transferring from BA with cabin luggage larger than CX limits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

BA allows a larger cabin bag than CX.

For someone flying LCY-AMS-HKG (BA/CX) and using a BA sized cabin bag (rollerboard) what happens when he transits in AMS and boards CX? Will CX allow the cabin bag? I doubt it but I imagine that bag will get as far as airplane gate? Correct? Will the staff gate check the rollerboard? Sorry for asking silly questions - I assume that tags are given for cabin checked bags? Ans they are returned as soon as passengers disembark? Not at the carousel?

Thank you!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Unless it's glaringly oversized, there won't be any issues.

If it fits on BA CityFlyer, it'll fit on CX.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
they occasionally check none status Y passenger if your bag looks heavy.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:17 am

In hundreds of CX flights i have never once had anyone even look twice at my wheeled cabin bag. My wife likes to make a habit of seeing how many cabin bags/handbags/shopping bags/kitchen sinks she can possibly carry and she's never had a problem either.
fotographer, etkuo and fairhsa like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1010101
In hundreds of CX flights i have never once had anyone even look twice at my wheeled cabin bag. My wife likes to make a habit of seeing how many cabin bags/handbags/shopping bags/kitchen sinks she can possibly carry and she's never had a problem either.
i think one time i brought 10 just to take the mick
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:39 am
Original Poster

The difference in allowance can be seen from the two carriers' websites below. Whether they are strictly enforced (in this case by CX) is my question. Thank you.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...n-baggage.html

Customers with a confirmed seat may bring 1 bag aboard the aircraft that can fit in the overhead compartment, in maximum dimensions of 56cm x 36cm x 23cm (22in x 14in x 9in).

These dimenstions include wheels, handles and side pockets.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances

1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)
plus
1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You missed part of the CX piece.
Customers with a confirmed seat may bring 1 more small item aboard the aircraft that can fit under the seat in the front, in maximum dimensions of 15cm x 30cm x 40cm (6in x 12in x 16in), in addition to their cabin luggage. These items include:
  • Small handbags
  • Laptop bags
  • Small backpacks
  • Camera bags
  • Briefcases
These dimensions include wheels, handles and side pockets.

So basically the difference is simply a few centimetres (as usual between Brits and Chinese! )
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It should not be an issue.

But, If you want the fully factual answer, it is that your luggage must comply with each operating carrier's policy. Whether you are connecting, transferring, or originating on a carrier is irrelevant.

As with any piece exceeding a carrier's limits, you must be prepared to have it checked and if that incurs fees, to pay those fees.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
You missed part of the CX piece.

So basically the difference is simply a few centimetres (as usual between Brits and Chinese! )
thank you.

So both carriers allow the same size for the smaller bag.

For the larger bag, BA allows a bag that is 4 inches wider and 1 inch deeper. In terms of cubic capacity, BA's dimensions for the larger piece are 42.8 % more than CX's. I do appreciate that if the question is officially posed, then the official answer is given. After all, carriers are entitled to enforce rules and passengers are expected to respect the rules. Will be flying Business in both segments and not checking in luggage.

Thank you for your help. Most likely, the larger bag will be allowed.

Just in case it is not , as asked above, are tags (receipts) given for gate checked bags? Are they returned at gate upon landing or sent to carousel?

Thank you.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
A big difference is that BA often check the bag size on European/domestic flights but I never seen CX do it.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I would say that the chances of the CX gate ladies having a problem with the size of your bag is less than 1%! Don't worry about it.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...n-baggage.html

Customers with a confirmed seat may bring 1 bag aboard the aircraft that can fit in the overhead compartment, in maximum dimensions of 56cm x 36cm x 23cm (22in x 14in x 9in).

These dimenstions include wheels, handles and side pockets.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances

1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)
plus
1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)
Basically what CX allows is the Tumi International whereas BA allows (the slightly larger) Tumi Continental. I have only ever travelled with the Tumi Continental on both and it fits well into the overhead storage bins. But this is in J class though, not sure if the Y overhead bins are smaller.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: jeweledgolfclub
CX does not take their rules seriously. You can bring as many as you want and no gate agents nor FA would stop you.

I flew LHR HKG last week and saw the FA helped some Chinese store a parcel that is at least half a metre by half a metre by size and returned it before deboarding.

I am sure your bags will not be a problem.
ps. Some english speakers got talked into sending their bags. Is this preferential treatment?

Last edited by jeweled golf club; Nov 14, 2018 at 2:07 am
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
If you're flying to/from leisure heavy destinations like TPE/KHH/KIX check in counter agents will try to weigh your bag and tut-tut you for bringing too much - 10 boxes of fresh mangoes or cup noodles or whatever. Then again, nothing too serious so the chaos really begins when they hog all the overhead space.
jeweled golf club likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:10 am
Suspended

Programs: jeweledgolfclub
Originally Posted by fishball
If you're flying to/from leisure heavy destinations like TPE/KHH/KIX check in counter agents will try to weigh your bag and tut-tut you for bringing too much - 10 boxes of fresh mangoes or cup noodles or whatever. Then again, nothing too serious so the chaos really begins when they hog all the overhead space.
I always see those loud transit passengers hiding their bags away from check-in. and then turning up with everything at gate. Does the CX management care to read FT? They really should sort out this problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.