Name Change (Marriage)

Old Nov 10, 18, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Name Change (Marriage)

I have a booking for British Airways where the travel class was upgraded using Asia Miles (pre June changes).

I now need to update the surname for one passenger due to marriage. As a 160 ticket was issued by Asia Miles for the new travel class on top of the original BA 125 ticket, I need to get Asia Miles to process the change.

Asia Miles have been frankly useless, resorting to computer says no because they have changed the scheme so longer can do anything with upgrades. I have spoken to British Airways who have advised that if CX/AM contact BA through the OneWorld helpline they are happy to facilitate the change but I can not convince any agent to at least try this method.

Can anyone suggest a method by which I can reach an agent that might be able to think outside the box?

Thanks
Old Nov 10, 18, 8:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
CX behaves like Ryanair on this https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-10299657.html --> it might be easier to have your passenger change back to her maiden name.

OK, maybe more palatable advice - you might try calling up and asking for Louise Yip. Hope she's still working at Global Call Centre.

Old Nov 10, 18, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Does she still have a maiden name passport?
Old Nov 10, 18, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Does she still have a maiden name passport?
Unfortunately it has expired and been replaced.
Old Nov 10, 18, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jimbosmith300 View Post
Unfortunately it has expired and been replaced.
(Deleted - see post #8 below)

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 10, 18 at 9:43 am
Old Nov 10, 18, 9:14 am

Also relevant: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26769233-post7.html

AM/MPO can add alias.
My Mum is registered under her Australian passport name "Ah Ma Doe Smith" but her HK Docs (passport/HKID) are under "Doe Ah Ma"

Setting up an alias for your passenger is easy - email docs to [email protected]

It's the fixing of issued ticket that's not easy - you need to find some good agent like Louise Yip. I recommend the midnight HK or Manila shifts - more likely you'll find someone experienced at the graveyard shift (our time)

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 10, 18 at 9:20 am
Old Nov 10, 18, 9:23 am
Original Poster

The booking doesn't even touch CX metal, it's all BA.
Old Nov 10, 18, 9:26 am

The booking doesn't even touch CX metal, it's all BA.
(Amended) BA won't accept a marriage certificate so not much chance they'll accept an old passport either https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24058085-post5.html

I think Alias is the way to go on the CX side. But getting agent to reissue the tickets will be difficult.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 10, 18 at 9:44 am
Old Nov 10, 18, 9:30 am

I have spoken to British Airways who have advised that if CX/AM contact BA through the OneWorld helpline they are happy to facilitate the change but I can not convince any agent to at least try this method.
P.S. In AM lingo I think BA is referring to the "BA liaison". Try asking agents to speak to supervisor to escalate to CX's liaison with BA.
Old Nov 10, 18, 10:21 am

resorting to computer says no because they have changed the scheme so longer can do anything with upgrades.
(Amended) I see what they're referring to now:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180528...ard-chart.html

https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...ard-chart.html

I don't know what to say. This case is not straightforward at all. Agents will have to deal with a name change plus a redemption from the pre-22/6 redemption chart.

You can argue your passenger is theoretically entitled to it but I can envision this has to be the mother of all HUACAs. Might have to end up in Small Claims Tribunal/Small Claims Court before you get any sort of meaningful response from CX.
Old Nov 10, 18, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
I don't know what to say. This case is not straightforward at all. Agents will have to deal with a name change plus a redemption from the pre-22/6 redemption chart.
You can argue your passenger is theoretically entitled to it but I can envision this has to be the mother of all HUACAs. Might have to end up in Small Claims Tribunal/Small Claims Court before you get any sort of meaningful response from CX.
Hmm! I'm of the opinion that the T&Cs which were in place at the time of the upgrade govern the contract. Unfortunately, I can't actually find a copy of those T&Cs but I imagine that offered re-issue of tickets for a fee like the current ones do.
Old Nov 10, 18, 12:06 pm

Hmm! I'm of the opinion that the T&Cs which were in place at the time of the upgrade govern the contract. Unfortunately, I can't actually find a copy of those T&Cs
https://web.archive.org/web/20170905.../en/site/terms

but I imagine that offered re-issue of tickets for a fee like the current ones do.
CX will make easy work out of that argument - you cannot reissue today into anything not currently existing in the redemption charts. CX has certainly applied the new table to adjust the mileage requirement on some of my May redemptions reissued last month. If the prevailing mileage table applies, hard to argue the prevailing partner table does not apply also. CX will frame it as a SOP.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 10, 18 at 12:52 pm
Old Nov 10, 18, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

The most recent agent I spoke to was adamant that the only way that they can make changes to upgrades is to refund and then reissue. However, as they no longer upgrade BA tickets, my only option is for one of the pax to fly original class.
Old Nov 10, 18, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The most recent agent I spoke to was adamant that the only way that they can make changes to upgrades is to refund and then reissue. However, as they no longer upgrade BA tickets, my only option is for one of the pax to fly original class.
Unfortunately for you, that is consistent with most carriers' policies when there is a change, which this is.

For the benefit of the broader audience, it is important not to change key documents such as passports when there are tickets issued in the "old" name. Either book in the anticipated name and then obtain the new passport when married or book under the "old" name and leave the passport as is. Even if this means renewing under an "old" name and then obtaining a new passport once one has returned.

Some carriers make quick work of these issues. Others do not.
Old Nov 10, 18, 9:17 pm

Well, in passenger's defence, not 100% sure she's gonna be left at the altar, not 100% sure HMPO will complete reissuing docs at date of travel and paseenger was not given notice on date of upgrade that CX was going to lop BA upgrades off the partner chart.

From the BA link above about married docs, it seems like BA treats it as a fee-free reissue because of tax differences charged/refunded. If CX takes the same approach, passenger is royally stuffed.

It looks more like a special considerations case from here than one of right/entitlement. Best approach OP can take us to list the above and ask for a ticket amendment without reissue. I think most agents will say no, AM front line agents are hopelessly unempowered to do things like this.

I'm not sure whether email, Facebook or Twitter will get the attention of a supervisor grade who may be needed to authorise this.

Worst case is to Refund Law. Hope this isn't a honeymoon or anything.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: