FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   CX715 - no entertainment on board (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1939696-cx715-no-entertainment-board.html)

carrotjuice Nov 9, 2018 4:37 am

CX715 - no entertainment on board

About to board and the ground crew announced on the PA system at gate that there will be no entertainment on board and “appreciate your understanding” - as if it was the most “blasé, natural” thing to happen.

After a long week I was really looking forward to a mindless movie to start off the weekend. Very annoyed.

What does CX normally do in this circumstance to compensate passengers? I'm in J personally.

christep Nov 9, 2018 4:48 am

For 3 hours? I guess I'd go for large amounts of champagne and vino and a flirt with the crew!

Nicc HK Nov 9, 2018 5:34 am

I flew AA HKG-DFW whole aircraft without IFE, the Captain thanked everyone for their understanding and not complaining. Just did LAX-HKG no IFE in my seat. Both in J. Did not even consider compensation. First world whining.

CoC is about execution not amenties.

SLGO Nov 9, 2018 6:02 am

I think the OP can contact CX customer relations and express the grievances. They may hand out some USD$50/$100 coupons as a gesture of goodwill. Afterall it’s CX.

bhyq Nov 9, 2018 7:08 am

these days most passengers have iPads/tablets or phones with games or movies so it’s not the end of the world for a regional flight. Although a mild inconvenience it’s still better than a delayed flight or worse a cancellation.

LondonElite Nov 9, 2018 7:53 am

I can’t quite decide whether the question is serious or sarcastic, because it can’t always be about compensation for every little thing. Personally I would be embarrassed to write such a letter asking for money.

carrotjuice Nov 9, 2018 9:37 am

CX was proactive for J customers in this case... handed out US$100 voucher per person when flight took off. Voucher can be used to offset ticket or in flight duty free purchases. But understandably, most of the duty free items had gone since people were keen to use the voucher on board.

Upon arrival ground crew at SIN also handed voucher to PE and Y passengers though unsure about the amount.

Rivarix Nov 9, 2018 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30411555)
I can’t quite decide whether the question is serious or sarcastic, because it can’t always be about compensation for every little thing. Personally I would be embarrassed to write such a letter asking for money.

Why not? OP was flying J so what if seat did not recline (and J was full)? Should OP ask for compensation considering it was only a 3 hour flight? What if CX forgot to load champagne? What if CX forgot or didn't load enough food for all passengers? What if luggage didn't arrive with OP and CX put it on the next flight an hour or two later (yes, CX715 is last flight of the day but say OP was flying CX735 and bag arrived with CX635 or CX657)? Where do you draw the line between letting it go and asking for compensation?

OP paid a premium to fly CX and with that premium there's a certain, bare minimum of service that one should expect from CX (other than long-haul seat on this route :D). It's one thing to 'look' for every little mistake and request compensation but I do think it's reasonable to expect IFE to work and when it's not, compensation (money, miles, voucher, etc) is appropriate. OP was not flying TR or 3K.

Rivarix Nov 9, 2018 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK (Post 30411129)
I flew AA HKG-DFW whole aircraft without IFE, the Captain thanked everyone for their understanding and not complaining. Just did LAX-HKG no IFE in my seat. Both in J. Did not even consider compensation. First world whining.

This happened to me on JFK-BCN last year. I ended up sleeping and like you didn't even consider compensation (it's AA afterall ... ) but AA just emailed me saying they deposited 5000 miles as goodwill gesture ...

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 30411902)
CX was proactive for J customers in this case... handed out US$100 voucher per person when flight took off.

Much better than my 5000 miles with AA ...

Cambo Nov 9, 2018 7:09 pm

i always carry one or two plain old style paper based magazines. Can read those things everywhere, including when taking bath, nobody will steal and to be discarded when finished. And it's not the end-of-the-world, when lost or forgotten :D

mbamejia Nov 9, 2018 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 30413749)
i always carry one or two plain old style paper based magazines. Can read those things everywhere, including when taking bath, nobody will steal and to be discarded when finished. And it's not the end-of-the-world, when lost or forgotten :D

While not really a biggie, I oftentimes use the IFE to catch up on some of the movies I missed (Incredibles 2 during my last trip) as my current downtime just seems to be inflight. Given that, I can see how this can be utterly frustrating even for a short hop. However, plan B is always my Kindle where I also have a bit of a backlog in my readings.

Cambo Nov 9, 2018 7:40 pm

Actually, I am that busy, that I don't have spare time left to watch movies. During the past couple of flights, I started to watch cartoons :D
The nowadays cartoon movie quality remembers me of Roger Rabit, many moons ago. There are so many hidden plots in good cinema cartoons, that it is a joy to watch.

mbamejia Nov 9, 2018 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 30413806)
Actually, I am that busy, that I don't have spare time left to watch movies. During the past couple of flights, I started to watch cartoons :D
The nowadays cartoon movie quality remembers me of Roger Rabit, many moons ago. There are so many hidden plots in good cinema cartoons, that it is a joy so watch.

Hahahaha. FWIW, my last inflight movie on CX was Incredibles 2! :D

LondonElite Nov 10, 2018 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Rivarix (Post 30413472)
Why not? OP was flying J so what if seat did not recline (and J was full)? Should OP ask for compensation considering it was only a 3 hour flight? What if CX forgot to load champagne? What if CX forgot or didn't load enough food for all passengers? What if luggage didn't arrive with OP and CX put it on the next flight an hour or two later (yes, CX715 is last flight of the day but say OP was flying CX735 and bag arrived with CX635 or CX657)? Where do you draw the line between letting it go and asking for compensation?

OP paid a premium to fly CX and with that premium there's a certain, bare minimum of service that one should expect from CX (other than long-haul seat on this route :D). It's one thing to 'look' for every little mistake and request compensation but I do think it's reasonable to expect IFE to work and when it's not, compensation (money, miles, voucher, etc) is appropriate. OP was not flying TR or 3K.

I think you mostly answered your question for yourself. Yes, a premium cabin on a premium carrier should not give the impression that it is a LCC. Equally, however, you need to apply some common sense when it comes to the 'compensation culture.' I could add to your list above with, for example, no hand lotion in the bathroom, or perhaps no 'prestige' hand lotion. Maybe the toilet paper was a bit too hard, and not five-ply. What if the air vent above the seat was faulty. One could go on forever. My rule of thumb is that, if it is not covered by some international convention (Montreal/Warsaw, EC261, etc) it probably isn't worth my time to complain.

Singapore_Air Nov 10, 2018 3:12 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30414283)
Equally, however, you need to apply some common sense when it comes to the 'compensation culture.' I could add to your list above with, for example, no hand lotion in the bathroom, or perhaps no 'prestige' hand lotion. Maybe the toilet paper was a bit too hard, and not five-ply. What if the air vent above the seat was faulty. One could go on forever. My rule of thumb is that, if it is not covered by some international convention (Montreal/Warsaw, EC261, etc) it probably isn't worth my time to complain.

That's fine... for you. However, I think whilst we could point to those items you highlighted, let's focus on the material aspect of the inflight product not being present for the OP (the inflight entertainment system). I would expect most people to agree this should be functional and is an integral part of the inflight product. If this is not functional then certainly some sort of compensation / gesture of goodwill is due from an airline that presents itself to have high customer service standards. It seems CX has done this from the OP's subsequent posts.