Search

CX switching planes last minute

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
CX switching planes last minute

Not very happy.

We wanted to treat ourselves to a business class flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong for our anniversary and we liked the look of Emirates business class and Cathays business class in their newer plane with the 1,2,1 config.

Telephoned Cathays call centre and enquired which of the 7 flights a day are the new plane with the 1,2,1 config as we definitely did not want the old regional 2,2,2 plane

we was informed CX708 was the new plane so I booked it and immediately we pre booked our seats 14A and 15A same day of booking 2 months in advance of flight

We chose this plane specifically as the later flight would of suited us better as we had a connecting flight and this earlier flight meant a longer layover at Hong Kong for us

We checked in the night before flight still showing the 1,2,1 config, great we thought, should be nice.

Boarded plane and found it had been swapped last minute for the old regional 2,2,2 config

We were both seated next to strangers and was not happy at all

After a lot of messing around we managed to get seated together

My wife's tv kept resetting to beginning of movie and this happened 4 times in half an hour and she gave up as flight was only 2 hours 30 mins duration.

My tv kept fast forwarding and I kept having to rewind movie and ended up giving up also.

Food was Luke warm and the Ice cream was frozen solid, I mean literally rock solid
i could still not get spoon in it after 10 minutes.

Worst of all the elderley man sitting next to my wife was coughing continuously every few minutes
It was a very chesty cough and the man was obviously very ill
the issue we had was not him being ill but not putting his hand over his mouth or used a tissue
he was literally turning his head towards my wife and kept coughing directly over her
the stewardesses saw this and offered him a box of tissues several times but he declined

when my wife's dinner was served he coughed all over it and my wife ended up with no dinner
I complained to steweress and she apologised but did not offer a fresh meal for my wife
she just put a box of tissues on this mans tray table

I know it is hard for cabin crew to say anything as it may cause offence but should we really have to endure a flight from hell, business class was full and we could not move

Should I complain to airline or am I wasting my time
Any advice from anyone who has complained to Cathays customer service and their response to you would be much appreciated

Thanks

Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
I have sympathy but unfortunately equipment swaps are very common on CX regional flights.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ent-swaps.html
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
No offense, but it doesn't totally seem like this is all swapping the plane last minute.

Swaps are, unfortunately an extremely common thing and you absolutely cannot guarantee a certain product. The poster above alludes to it and if you search here you will find no fewer than 20 threads in the last few years to this extent. We are annoyed by it but used to it. Lesson learned. It's only a short hop to BKK and you definitely will be taking EK next time, so that's CXs loss.

If it was the CX agent who implied it will never swap, that's a problem. If it was another resource (FT, Bloggers, YouTube reviewers, Seat Guru, etc) and/or perhaps you were assuming something, unfortunately you had misleading intel.

Regardless there are a number of other issues here, it doesn't seem to me like the plane swap was the total problem. Cold food is irrelevant to 1-2-1 or 2-2-2.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:40 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by PaulH1
Any advice from anyone who has complained to Cathays customer service and their response to you would be much appreciated
Take your business elsewhere...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:52 am

Read your contract, you've purchased a fare class and not a specific type of seat.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Feel sorry for you... But unfortunately your problem will happen on ANY airline, ANY aircraft, ANY cabin...

Maybe except in 1-2-1 seating... your wife's meal would have less chance to be directly "attacked"... But still no guarantee... And very obviously it's the old man that have zero sense of consideration that matter...

p.s. For ice cream, I'd rather them stay rock solid for 10 mins than already melting when I open the lid...
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
BKK -HKG and HKG-BKK for me have been famous for both way aircraft swaps. This trip they left HKG to BKK in the A350 (nice) but have already switched to the regional for the return (for now). Might be something else when I go back.

OTOH I have had two swaps the other way once to the old 747 with the coffin pods where I was the only passenger upstairs which was retro cool, and one back to a 777 I think going on to or coming from Delhi.

For 2:45 flight time, the J regional seats are fine particularly in the first row.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The aircraft swap issue is extremely common. You bought a business class service, not a guaranteed plane configuration, unfortunately. The rest of the issues could happen on any plane/flight/airline in the world.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Not very happy.

We wanted to treat ourselves to a business class flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong for our anniversary and we liked the look of Emirates business class and Cathays business class in their newer plane with the 1,2,1 config.

Telephoned Cathays call centre and enquired which of the 7 flights a day are the new plane with the 1,2,1 config as we definitely did not want the old regional 2,2,2 plane

we was informed CX708 was the new plane so I booked it and immediately we pre booked our seats 14A and 15A same day of booking 2 months in advance of flight

We chose this plane specifically as the later flight would of suited us better as we had a connecting flight and this earlier flight meant a longer layover at Hong Kong for us

We checked in the night before flight still showing the 1,2,1 config, great we thought, should be nice.

Boarded plane and found it had been swapped last minute for the old regional 2,2,2 config

We were both seated next to strangers and was not happy at all

After a lot of messing around we managed to get seated together

My wife's tv kept resetting to beginning of movie and this happened 4 times in half an hour and she gave up as flight was only 2 hours 30 mins duration.

My tv kept fast forwarding and I kept having to rewind movie and ended up giving up also.

Food was Luke warm and the Ice cream was frozen solid, I mean literally rock solid
i could still not get spoon in it after 10 minutes.

Worst of all the elderley man sitting next to my wife was coughing continuously every few minutes
It was a very chesty cough and the man was obviously very ill
the issue we had was not him being ill but not putting his hand over his mouth or used a tissue
he was literally turning his head towards my wife and kept coughing directly over her
the stewardesses saw this and offered him a box of tissues several times but he declined

when my wife's dinner was served he coughed all over it and my wife ended up with no dinner
I complained to steweress and she apologised but did not offer a fresh meal for my wife
she just put a box of tissues on this mans tray table

I know it is hard for cabin crew to say anything as it may cause offence but should we really have to endure a flight from hell, business class was full and we could not move

Thanks

what a shame.

you can complain. but how can you expect long haul product of regional flight
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I'm confused, you said "After a lot of messing around we managed to get seated together" and the seats are 2-2-2, so were you the old man coughing on her food?
QRC3288 and etkuo like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'm confused, you said "After a lot of messing around we managed to get seated together" and the seats are 2-2-2, so were you the old man coughing on her food?
I was wondering about this as well!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Yes we did manage to get seated together, I ended up in seat 15a my wife was in 15c next to me.
the old guy was next to my wife in 15d although there was an isle between him and my wife he kept turning his head to the left as he coughed, not sure if he was doing it on purpose or to avoid coughing on the guy sitting directly next to him, it would not of been an issue if he coughed into his hand or a tissue but it was his lack of hygiene that was the problem

anyway thanks for everyone's input I do know issues like this can happen on any flight
and it seems that late change of plane type is commonplace and there is nothing I can do about it
will just put it down to experience and use another airline
very dissapointing though as the 1,2,1 config looked so much better than the 2,2,2 we got
i thought it was more like premium economy where the newer plane is a flatbed private pod.
i think We will try Emirates business class next time which looks a more reliable product

Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
if you decide to complain, here is typical response which you will receive

I understand that there was also a change of the aircraft deployed to operate your recent flight CX708 on XXXXXXXXX from Bangkok to Hong Kong, and the new aircraft offered regional business class seating which did not include our coveted flatbed. Although we endeavour to deploy our aircrafts according to the original plan, due to the nature of air travel, aircraft deployment depends on various operational requirements and is subject to change. I am sorry for the disappointment we caused you, but kindly seek for your understanding in this.

Once again, I sincerely apologise for your disappointing experience and hope that the next time you use our services you will have a more positive experience.

Yours sincerely
G-CIVC, nightkhan, QRC3288 and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Yes we did manage to get seated together, I ended up in seat 15a my wife was in 15c next to me.
the old guy was next to my wife in 15d although there was an isle between him and my wife he kept turning his head to the left as he coughed, not sure if he was doing it on purpose or to avoid coughing on the guy sitting directly next to him, it would not of been an issue if he coughed into his hand or a tissue but it was his lack of hygiene that was the problem

anyway thanks for everyone's input I do know issues like this can happen on any flight
and it seems that late change of plane type is commonplace and there is nothing I can do about it
will just put it down to experience and use another airline
very dissapointing though as the 1,2,1 config looked so much better than the 2,2,2 we got
i thought it was more like premium economy where the newer plane is a flatbed private pod.
i think We will try Emirates business class next time which looks a more reliable product

You might want to read the fine print at Emirates website before deciding. IIRC some of the typical J class service you expect from Emirates might not be available for the HKG/BKK route (e.g. no chauffeur pick up).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.