Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

No sparkling water due to customs regulations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:58 pm
Uli
Original Poster

Hi,
I think it is strange if you enter a CX plane, get to your first class seat, and they tell you that they "only can offer sparkling water if the bar-service is opened after take-off due to custom regulations" ... how much custom duty do they have to pay to open a bottle of sparkling water? while EK in Germany serves veuce cliquot instead of dom perignon on the ground due to "custom reasons" they still have an individual mini-bar at each F seat -- including sparkling water. And: diet coke/pepsi, whcih CX also cannot provide on the ground. i do not
get it. a can of coke might be one USD plus VAT, but for still water there is no VAT? I mean three year ago they still gave you a lobster appetizer on the ground at the same place, and now sparkling water is a problem? F class pricing has increased since then, by the way.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Seems more like they want to save space by loading less service carts onboard. Looks like the sparkling water was put inside the cart containing the alcohol that is subject to duties. As a general rule, the whole cart has a customs seal applied to it that cannot be broken until after take off. If the seal is broken before take off and the cart is opened just to retrieve an item (sparkling water in this case) that is not subject to duty, all the dutiable items in the cart would then get subject to duty!

EK and other carriers did the smart thing by loading their non-duty items into a separate cart where the seal isn't applied.
QRC3288 and forumpersona999 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:26 pm

I would be surprised if there wasn’t a J class or Y class cart somewhere on the plane that contains sparkling water (or club soda) and no alcohol. Shame the FA couldn’t find another solution.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
I would be surprised if there wasn’t a J class or Y class cart somewhere on the plane that contains sparkling water (or club soda) and no alcohol. Shame the FA couldn’t find another solution.
Sparkling water is not served in Y. It might be the same situation in J where the sparkling water is inside the cart with the alcohol.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
Originally Posted by daniellam
Sparkling water is not served in Y. It might be the same situation in J where the sparkling water is inside the cart with the alcohol.
The response that OP got is what I would expect from AA and not CX.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
On my flights in Y, CX has offered Perrier in econ.
royng and kaffir76 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by daniellam
unless this is very recent they normally serve Perrier and Soda water in Y
royng likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.