Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Claiming CPs and AMs on Malaysia Airlines POUG (MHupgrade)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Claiming CPs and AMs on Malaysia Airlines POUG (MHupgrade)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by wyskevin
I had one similar example.

I bought a return ticket on BA website (business I class), TXL-LHR-HKG, all operated by BA.
Then using BA points to upgrade LHR-HKG to first class. The new itinerary showed the new booking class become Z (reward F).
Then I changed my FFP to CX.

After finishing flying, MPC credited it as businness I class which was totally correct.
However, in few months, I did the exact upgrade again but MPC credited as first A class which was extremely sweet bug!

Well, this works for BA and hopefully works for MH too...
Are you sure BA Z is upgraded to F ? I have tickets BA Z and this does not go further then J class.

CX does honor BA Z class as if this is I (or D). Whereas MH does not credit miles on that, not even, when the BA leg(s) are part of a ticket purchased from MH, with LH segments on MH.

I think, you were lucky with the F class upgrade accrual ......
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:03 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cambo
Are you sure BA Z is upgraded to F ? I have tickets BA Z and this does not go further then J class.

CX does honor BA Z class as if this is I (or D). Whereas MH does not credit miles on that, not even, when the BA leg(s) are part of a ticket purchased from MH, with LH segments on MH.

I think, you were lucky with the F class upgrade accrual ......
I'm confused. BA Z (reward F subclass), does not accrue anything on CX, so from what I read, the OP was credited I Class which was the original booking class. Additionally OP was (accidentally?) credited for A class on an upgraded BA ticket for a subsequent flight after that.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
By the book, it does not work. Recently got f'd over by this on an AA SWU segment of which I couldn't get any CP or miles, but too late to credit elsewhere!
How did it happen? I know in the past AM's website said something like "C class is for upgrade and mileage will be earned according to original class," but I guess that line is now removed. Can't you retro-claim with original e-ticket?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
How did it happen? I know in the past AM's website said something like "C class is for upgrade and mileage will be earned according to original class," but I guess that line is now removed. Can't you retro-claim with original e-ticket?
I sent in the original ticket with fare basis Qxxxxx (Q class) but still no dice, they said C class is not eligible period. Maybe they know I will have CPs pouring in down the road anyway, these couple CPs don't matter - but they actually do!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Was this automatic or did you have to retroclaim, Mbamejia?
Was automatically credited.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by wyskevin
I had one similar example.

I bought a return ticket on BA website (business I class), TXL-LHR-HKG, all operated by BA.
Then using BA points to upgrade LHR-HKG to first class. The new itinerary showed the new booking class become Z (reward F).
Then I changed my FFP to CX.

After finishing flying, MPC credited it as businness I class which was totally correct.
However, in few months, I did the exact upgrade again but MPC credited as first A class which was extremely sweet bug!

Well, this works for BA and hopefully works for MH too...
But that is different from what happens with a MH flight and upgrade.
Apparently Clubeurope is an expert on this issue as he has many posts on that issue on different forums.
But as a BAEC member, I have never been able to credit any mile on a bid-upgraded ticket by MH. It was not automatically credited and when I submitted a claim, BAEC responded that it was reissued in I bucket and therefore earned no avios. I would be happy to read the thread with positive experiences on BAEC.
It was not worth my time for a few avios on HKG-KUL, but is clearly worth it for a longhaul from Biz to First.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
But that is different from what happens with a MH flight and upgrade.
Apparently Clubeurope is an expert on this issue as he has many posts on that issue on different forums.
But as a BAEC member, I have never been able to credit any mile on a bid-upgraded ticket by MH. It was not automatically credited and when I submitted a claim, BAEC responded that it was reissued in I bucket and therefore earned no avios. I would be happy to read the thread with positive experiences on BAEC.
It was not worth my time for a few avios on HKG-KUL, but is clearly worth it for a longhaul from Biz to First.
For your information, here, here, here, here, and here.

From what I understand, you should not file a retro claim through the online form, as that rejects it automatically, and do a manual claim instead. Note that many, and I emphasise, many MH economy fares do not earn miles, TPs, or CPs, on partner carriers, which may also explain the lack of TPs or Avios credited. The BA site says that even "Economy Lowest" accrues 25%, though this only encompasses L, V, S classes and not other promotional fares like O or Q classes (which many MH fares book into).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:43 am
Original Poster

and here's another one for BAEC: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27039947-post10.html
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone, just an update. It took a while, but I have received a written response from MPC regarding this matter, confirming that you do get Miles or CPs, provided that the original booking class is eligible.

Dear Mr clubeurope

Thank you for contacting the Marco Polo Club Service Centre.

This is to confirm that members are entitled to earn mileage for the
original fare class on upgraded flights provided the original fare class
is eligible.

For Malaysia Airlines, fare class "D" is eligible for earning Asia Miles
and club points.

For more information about eligible fare classes of Malaysia Airlines,
please visit www.asiamiles.com, "Earn miles", "Airlines", "Malaysia
Airlines". (also see "Important Notes")

You may use the club points calculator at the following link to check
how many Asia Miles and club points you can earn for your flights:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...ub-points.html

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us
again.

Kind regards

xxxxxx xxxxx
Customer Relations Executive
Membership Administration
The Marco Polo Club Service Centre
hope this can be helpful
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubeurope
For your information, here, here, here, here, and here.

From what I understand, you should not file a retro claim through the online form, as that rejects it automatically, and do a manual claim instead. Note that many, and I emphasise, many MH economy fares do not earn miles, TPs, or CPs, on partner carriers, which may also explain the lack of TPs or Avios credited. The BA site says that even "Economy Lowest" accrues 25%, though this only encompasses L, V, S classes and not other promotional fares like O or Q classes (which many MH fares book into).
Thanks for the information.
I should have pursued BAEC more forcefully as my flights were in V and L But I did not have the energy for a mere 500 avios. And yes, it was rejected by the online submission. I guess that I should have called the BAEC center but I got lazy.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Okay, in terms of First Class upgrades (now Business Suites), it appears one will earn extra CPs now. The upgrade books into class P, and the Cathay website has reflected earning rates for Malaysia Airlines in regards to the reflagged First Class offering, and now class P earns the same amount as F and A when travelling with MH and crediting to MPC.

It'll be interesting how this pans out.

I'll report back after my flight.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Just to report back, all CPs and AMs credited normally after being upgraded to P class. CPs and AMs awarded are based on the original booking class (D).
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for reporting back the good news
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.