Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A333 on HKG-CAN! Isn't it insane?!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kaka

it doesnt. those cities grow because of communist policies.

With all due respect, you are completely off your rocker if you deny the fact that the HSR has made cities like Xuzhou, Jiaxing, Nanning, Wuxi, Bengbu, and Changsha MUCH more relevant.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by kirstyu

Finnair use A330,A340,A350 for LHR. Thx a lot

Not exactly true. Just did this route
on an A321 last week.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Globalromp

Not exactly true. Just did this route
on an A321 last week.
It is true actually. They use mainly short-haul aircraft, but there is at least one rotation utilising wide-bodies.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:47 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
I just took HSR last Fri from Changsha to HK and then take Tung Chung Line to HK station. It cost almost HK$1000 in First Class, and it took me 3.5 hours on the train +1 hour at Changsha station + 30 mins for immigration and transfer to HK station. Without taking price and potential flight delay into consideration, I would prefer KA flight which leaves around the same time in Changsha. An one-way ticket cost around HK$1500. If it wasn't my clients prefer train to plane, I would definitely fly KA for extra CPs
kaka and pochi like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chatter
I just took HSR last Fri from Changsha to HK and then take Tung Chung Line to HK station. It cost almost HK$1000 in First Class, and it took me 3.5 hours on the train +1 hour at Changsha station + 30 mins for immigration and transfer to HK station. Without taking price and potential flight delay into consideration, I would prefer KA flight which leaves around the same time in Changsha. An one-way ticket cost around HK$1500. If it wasn't my clients prefer train to plane, I would definitely fly KA for extra CPs
why did u spend 1hr there?! i thought train was meant to minimize down time at the terminal
in japan i can arrive 5 minutes before departure (or less if u know ur way around) and that is how you may beat airlines like cx.

otherwise, flight please. cx’ a333 to CAN is meant to stay.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by blandy62
No the Tung Chung line and airport express use near standard gauge, it is 3mm shorter. Totally out of topic, but anybody knows why some lines in Hk use near standard gauges while other are standard gauge?
3mm is actually way within the usually tolerances track and rail vehicles are built to, so having trains run on both should not be an issue. In reality track gauge is just a figure that the maintenance and geometry standards are derived from. I guess the MTR "gauge" is just a relic. For example, Italy's gauge was officially 1445mm until the 1930ies, yet trains ran through from all over Europe without issues.

MTR could just declare 1435 as the gauge (just as Italy did) and as track gets renewed they would eventually end up being completely compatible. Until then for through running stock with somewhat stricter tolerances would be needed.

I can understand why Cathay Pacific runs this extreme short haul flight, but I doubt they are happy about it. This adds a lot of cycles to an expensive airframe without generating a lot of passenger miles. China has been building a great train network, and could look in to better integrating it with their airports, making short haul flights unneeded.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Chatter
Why is that extra time needed? One advantage of trains (if the operator chooses to be smart) is that you do not need to be so early at a station. 5 minutes before departure on the platform should be sufficient (and in most rail systems it is).
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee
Why is that extra time needed? One advantage of trains (if the operator chooses to be smart) is that you do not need to be so early at a station. 5 minutes before departure on the platform should be sufficient (and in most rail systems it is).
i agree, but being smart in china is not the way forward. no. china wants to secure their so-called national security and require check-in a silly amount of time in advance. That's why one flies HND-ITM purely just for mileage purposes.
The train operation also advertises a 45 minute checkin at West Kowloon Station which makes one having to spend more time in a train station than for flights, where one only needs to check in at Hong Kong or Kowloon station 90 minutes (up to 5.30 the day before) before a flight. More to show that the train operations is some sloppy shambles. Nevermind, the tickerting system just broke today.

Therefore I would be flying if i were to transit. Who transits from a long haul flight from tokyo to osaka/kyoto on a train anyways, or connect CDG to AMS (or even BRU) w thalys.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee
I'm curious about this too because I usually show up for trains 5 minutes before the scheduled departure time. Was there some sort of document check because you were going to HK? (I thought this only happened in HK.)
miklcct likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:46 am
Suspended

so this so-called high speed trains is a con. back to the flights, i guess flying a333 or dash-8 would make ur checkin time the same.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by kaka
so this so-called high speed trains is a con. back to the flights, i guess flying a333 or dash-8 would make ur checkin time the same.
I'm certainly not sold on the HK extension yet based on reports that I've read, but much of the network is fabulous.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm certainly not sold on the HK extension yet based on reports that I've read, but much of the network is fabulous.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:25 am

Well I could go to futian in 10mns from Kowloon. That does it for me.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by blandy62
Well I could go to futian in 10mns from Kowloon. That does it for me.
can you. ha
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:26 am

Yes the train ride ride was 10 MNS both ways. Great for a weekend gateway out of HK and for quick business meeting. How about you did you try? Seems you don't go out of HK that much from what I can tell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.