FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   When to Reset Diamond (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1937282-when-reset-diamond.html)

OneWorldLoyalist Oct 25, 2018 2:19 am

When to Reset Diamond

Hi all,

I have a question for all your CX DM's out there. I just renewed My diamond with 2 months to go before my year resets. I have a few flights left before the end of the year and have several questions

1) Would you renew your membership year early at this point?
I only have a few regional flights and a US long haul left before year end so I dont see myself making the next mid tier benefit/ dont really care for lounge passes. Anyone have any pros/cons of resetting? I do kind of like having my membership year from jan -dec.

2) I have read here that people are able to call in and get their membership renewed. How early have people been successful in this?

thanks!

FlyPointyEnd Oct 25, 2018 2:29 am

the is your next flight? If it is in November, call by November 1 and have them reset it. That way you have till November 30,2018

fast03 Oct 25, 2018 3:36 am

I was in your situation two years ago. I would put my FFP all the way until close to boarding. When I leave the lounge/approach the gate, I have them print a new BP with my FFP removed.

I would then use these tickets to back-claim my miles/points as CX credits by posting date and not activity date.

I think this approach still works unless someone here has a data point to nullify this now.

Win-win unless you put value in the DM unpublished benefits on-board...

gpia Oct 25, 2018 8:44 am

Originally Posted by fast03 (Post 30353844)
I was in your situation two years ago. I would put my FFP all the way until close to boarding. When I leave the lounge/approach the gate, I have them print a new BP with my FFP removed.

I would then use these tickets to back-claim my miles/points as CX credits by posting date and not activity date.

I think this approach still works unless someone here has a data point to nullify this now.

Still works fine as of earlier this year. Best strategy IMHO

tfung Oct 27, 2018 9:32 am

I've been resetting my membership the past 2 years once I got enough credit to get all the mid tier benefits... I really don't see any benefit to waiting till the normal reset time with extra club points over the level you want...

gpia Oct 27, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by tfung (Post 30362326)
I've been resetting my membership the past 2 years once I got enough credit to get all the mid tier benefits... I really don't see any benefit to waiting till the normal reset time with extra club points over the level you want...

But your new membership year starts at the time of reset. If you wait it out, you can enjoy a couple of extra months membership. You wouldn’t have credited anything beyond what you need with this strategy

tfung Oct 29, 2018 8:33 am

Originally Posted by gpia (Post 30362537)

But your new membership year starts at the time of reset. If you wait it out, you can enjoy a couple of extra months membership. You wouldn’t have credited anything beyond what you need with this strategy

I know I fly enough so that I will continually be a DM... Let's say I re-qualify and get my mid-tier benefits within 9 months (the 4 bookable upgrades)... If I reset it then, and re-qualify again and get my mid-tier benefits in 9 months time... that means effectively I would have received 8 bookable upgrades within the span of 1.5 years.. instead of the usual 2 years... Unless you have a reason to keep earning tier points over the amount you need for the mid tier benefits, I don't see any reason why one should do that...

gpia Oct 29, 2018 9:33 am

Originally Posted by tfung (Post 30368441)
I know I fly enough so that I will continually be a DM... Let's say I re-qualify and get my mid-tier benefits within 9 months (the 4 bookable upgrades)... If I reset it then, and re-qualify again and get my mid-tier benefits in 9 months time... that means effectively I would have received 8 bookable upgrades within the span of 1.5 years.. instead of the usual 2 years... Unless you have a reason to keep earning tier points over the amount you need for the mid tier benefits, I don't see any reason why one should do that...

Can you credit the excess to a program that offers LT status?

OneWorldLoyalist Oct 31, 2018 2:11 am

Duplicate Post. Please Delete

OneWorldLoyalist Oct 31, 2018 2:12 am

Originally Posted by fast03 (Post 30353844)

Great guess ill try this then... thanks!

Conkers Nov 3, 2018 2:45 am

I queried the excess over 1800 at the recent DM lunch and they very kindly gave me a few extra bookable updates for my 2600 points - going forward I will probably just reset early but it is tempting to divert excess points to BA to get me to Lifetime Gold in due course.

tfung Nov 3, 2018 9:07 am

I already credit all my non-CX oneworld to AA... and I still do over 1800 club points with CX.. usually within 6-9 months after reset... yeah, probably a bit too much flying, but for me, I think it definitely makes sense to ask them to reset every time I hit 1800 club points...

tfung Nov 3, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Conkers (Post 30387662)
I queried the excess over 1800 at the recent DM lunch and they very kindly gave me a few extra bookable updates for my 2600 points - going forward I will probably just reset early but it is tempting to divert excess points to BA to get me to Lifetime Gold in due course.

If they make it official.. like allow us to convert club points into bookable upgrades, I would definitely keep it rolling... They should allow members to pick and choose... like 400 club points for each bookable upgrade, or 800 club points for gold nomination.... I would love that kind of flexibility...

Conkers Nov 3, 2018 11:29 am

I discussed several ideas like this with Mr Masse. Let’s see what he comes up with going forward!