Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

9.4 million passengers’ data stolen from CX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kaka
Cathay Pacific information site:
https://infosecurity.cathaypacific.com/en_HK.html

If you want to hold CX to legal standing for the loss of private data, the best shot would be using EU GDPR regulations:
What to write to DPO/CX ([email protected]) according to EU GDPR in very short... (ref #177)
(if CX is seen as a HK company, then EU GDPR would apply to all EU Citizen inc valid and expired (not renounced) BNO Holders; and if CX is seen managed by John Swire & Sons Ltd in the UK via Swire, then Data Protection Act 2018 (of UK) which includes GDPR would apply to EVERYONE)
  • ask for data that CX hold on you
  • highlight specifically which data was lost
    (there's a few things you could ask them according to GPDR... refer to the website)
They have 1 month to respond or they will have to give you a reasonable timeframe where they have to respond by within the 1 month before you can go to ICO.

If you are seeking compensation from CX the loss of private data, the following sites are dealing with class action against CX (not a legal advise)
  • http://www.cathaydatabreach.com
  • http://www.classlawdc.com/2018/10/25/cathay-pacific-data-breach-class-action-investigation/
Print Wikipost

9.4 million passengers’ data stolen from CX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blum81
My cynical tin foil hat side of me wonders if the breach happened after GDPR was implemented in May, but saying March will get them grandfathered lol.
do you have the EU28 passport or BNO?
we might be able to give GDPR some kicks so they would look into it more carefully.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
My dad who has NOT flown with CX in the past 5 years (but uses AM otherwise) has had his
  • Address
  • Name
  • Title
assessed. Hmm...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
I joined this mess with name, nationality, permit number and title. Well I surrendered these to the northern territory through name verification long ago so that's not much added concern to me. For my travel history, maybe the internet giants have had my data more comprehensively.

I also think the time is quite too long and not the most intuitive choice to disclose so late than to truly sweep it under the rug. Is it better to know? Yeah in the spirit of GDPR sort of thing, even though worried me and not much I could do. Given the delay hopefully there's no further "correction" to the area of impact.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
Received the email.
  • Date of Birth
  • Email Address
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
  • Travel Document Number
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:32 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by kaka
do you have the EU28 passport or BNO?
we might be able to give GDPR some kicks so they would look into it more carefully.
Naah. holding a Canada passport, but living in Malaysia.

Don't think there's anything I can do except to do the Canadian thing in saying "Sorry Cathay for trusting you and having my confidential data with you".
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Received the email and my HKID and date of birth was accessed

But I don't have a HKID number in the first place?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:36 pm

• Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Email Address
  • Flown Flight Number & Date
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Permit Number
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
  • Travel Document Number

Got my list...I wonder what is NOT accessed? This looks like pretty much everything?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:57 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by xuukgo
  • Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Email Address
  • Flown Flight Number & Date
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Permit Number
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
  • Travel Document Number

Got my list...I wonder what is NOT accessed? This looks like pretty much everything?
meal preference is missing.
Nile_US likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: MPCGO
"We initially discovered suspicious activity on our network in March this year. Upon discovery, we took immediate action to contain the event, to commence a thorough investigation with the assistance of a leading cybersecurity firm, and to further strengthen our IT security measures. Unauthorised access to certain personal data was confirmed in early May. Since that time, analysis of the data has continued in order to identify affected individuals and to determine whether the data at issue could be reconstructed."

If 9 million passengers' data was compromised, no way was there any immediate action as the event wasn't contained.

"We have no evidence that any personal data has been misused. We recommend that you follow the steps outlined in this notice to help protect yourself against potential risks."

Looking at above posts with fraudulent CC transactions with CX Amex cards (not one, but multiple individuals), I find this hard to believe.

"The following types of personal data about you were accessed:
  • Address
  • Email Address
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
Your travel or loyalty profile was not accessed in full, and your password was not compromised."

So am I assuming that it was accessed partially?

Such a vague and self contradictory email.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Does anyone know if Cathay ever named a Data Protection Officer for GDPR purposes?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Does anyone know if Cathay ever named a Data Protection Officer for GDPR purposes?
Customers requesting more information or clarification on specific Personal Data usage are welcome to contact us at [email protected] or write to us at the below mailing addresses:

The Data Protection Officer
Cathay Pacific Airways Limited
6th Floor Cathay Pacific City
8 Scenic Road
Hong Kong International Airport
Lantau
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Dragon Airlines Limited
5th Floor Cathay Dragon House
11 Tung Fai Road
Hong Kong International Airport
Lantau
Hong Kong

So looks as if they are keen to protect their personal data/ privacy!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan
For CX to disclose this six months later is unforgivable. They say the took immediate action, but immediate action requires you to notify those who could be affected. That way, THEY can take immediate action to limit damage/protect themselves. By delaying this six months, the thieves could have done incalculable damage to up to 9M customers by now.

The management team at CX are such irresponsible liars. I hope CX gets fined/sued appropriately for such casual disregard of their customers.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by kaka
my gf lost her hkid and name. great....
Marry her, name change, problem solved :-)

(although it might be an expensive way to remedy the situation :-D
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ng1265
Marry her, name change, problem solved :-)

(although it might be an expensive way to remedy the situation :-D
you dont hv to get married to change name.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: too many
anyone in the UK looking to start a class-action?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.