Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

9.4 million passengers’ data stolen from CX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kaka
Cathay Pacific information site:
https://infosecurity.cathaypacific.com/en_HK.html

If you want to hold CX to legal standing for the loss of private data, the best shot would be using EU GDPR regulations:
What to write to DPO/CX ([email protected]) according to EU GDPR in very short... (ref #177)
(if CX is seen as a HK company, then EU GDPR would apply to all EU Citizen inc valid and expired (not renounced) BNO Holders; and if CX is seen managed by John Swire & Sons Ltd in the UK via Swire, then Data Protection Act 2018 (of UK) which includes GDPR would apply to EVERYONE)
  • ask for data that CX hold on you
  • highlight specifically which data was lost
    (there's a few things you could ask them according to GPDR... refer to the website)
They have 1 month to respond or they will have to give you a reasonable timeframe where they have to respond by within the 1 month before you can go to ICO.

If you are seeking compensation from CX the loss of private data, the following sites are dealing with class action against CX (not a legal advise)
  • http://www.cathaydatabreach.com
  • http://www.classlawdc.com/2018/10/25/cathay-pacific-data-breach-class-action-investigation/
Print Wikipost

9.4 million passengers’ data stolen from CX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I wonder if they actually have email address for all 9m affected people? There must be some that they do not have email address of.. Are they going to send snail mail to them about this?

Also, it seems that the data breach was not linked directly to their loyalty program, but from reservation and operations as it seems to have affected people who bought tickets outside of the CX. ie. affiliate redemption, etc
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
All of my DM friend's already got an email. Maybe they are informing people based on MPO status first hehehe
I don't think so. I received email from CX earlier today, and I am just a registered user. I don't even have Marco Polo Club account.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I was looking for a breach notification, but have not received it yet. However, I did get an invitation to ADD more info to my profile yesterday! No joke! Um, thanks, but no thanks?

"Did you know your travel experience could be even smoother by updating your profile on cathaypacific.com? By storing information such as travel documents and contact information .–for yourself and up to three companions – you can save time during online booking and check-in.

As a Registered Account holder, you will also be the first to know about our latest flight promotions, new benefits, and exclusive offers we plan to introduce – starting with a great birthday offer coming soon.

Click here now to update your details, including your birthday!

Sincerely,
Cathay Pacific"
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
For those affected in the Philippines, CX should be covered by Republic Act 10173 - Data Privacy Act of 2012 (DPA). https://www.privacy.gov.ph/data-privacy-act/
For extraterritorial application of the DPA, see https://www.privacy.gov.ph/data-privacy-act/#6

If my understanding is correct, given the extent and size of CX's business in the Philippines, it has to comply with the DPA and its Implementing Rules and Regulations and thus would have to have a Data Privacy Officer (DPO) in the Philippines. Hopefully that DPO should answer what kind of ID Monitoring Services are available. If you can't get a hold of the DPO for CX in the Philippines, I suggest that you reach out to Rob Bradshaw, CX Philippines Country Manager and apply some pressure on him to get an answer.
After the recent cuts in the staff in Manila, I’d be surprised if they still have a DPO in the town office...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club, CX MPC, Marriot Rewards, Priority Club
I go the email this morning and it states:

The following personal information about you was accessed:
  • Address
  • Name
  • Title
Your travel or loyalty profile was not accessed in full, and your password was not compromised.

My wife who have flown more on CX this year than me (and higher status) have not received the email as of yet.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by tfung
I wonder if they actually have email address for all 9m affected people? There must be some that they do not have email address of.. Are they going to send snail mail to them about this?

Also, it seems that the data breach was not linked directly to their loyalty program, but from reservation and operations as it seems to have affected people who bought tickets outside of the CX. ie. affiliate redemption, etc

My guess is that they have a 'customer profile' database harvesting & storing information from reservations, loyalty etc. So doesn't have passwords, but does have other MPO profile data, For EU residents, might want to ask under GDPR
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:57 pm

Okay...I've calmed down a bit. Hacking, data breach or whatever you may want to call it...it seems like it happens all the time and is a reality in this day and age. except for my birthday and travel document, the information is found on my calling card anyway. What I guess still upsets me is the fact that it was kept from us for all this time. I do agree they needed time to verify, which they did last May, but why wait till yesterday to disclose? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Nicc HK likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Took all my s**t.

If I cared about credit or identity theft, there'd be a lawsuit. As it stands, this might be enough for me to stop flying them entirely.
Typically companies that recover from these situations end up being the most secure organisations. So flying another airline for this reason may end up being counter productive.
PacificSunrise likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:08 pm

I suspect with this data breach, the MPC line is slammed right now. Can't get through
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:24 pm

I got the email and it states:

The following types of personal data about you were accessed:
  • Email Address
  • Flown Flight Number & Date
  • HKID Number
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Permit Number
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
Your travel or loyalty profile was not accessed in full, and your password was not compromised.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:27 pm

Someone told me the data breach is punishable under EU GDPR...penalty is 4% annual revenue...is this real?

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Oct 25, 2018 at 8:37 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Someone told me the data breach is punishable under EU GDPR...penalty is 4% annual revenue...is this real?
I believe it's 4% but CX will be able to get away from GDPR as the breach happened before the implementation of GDPR.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Whether it is related or unrelated, and although my CC details were not stolen, I have logged 1 fraudulent transaction with my HSBC CC approx two months ago, which I have used to pay for flights previously; and my relatives and friends have also logged two fraudulent CC use (Amex Cathay Elite) this past weekend. Whether or not these are coincidences, just a friendly reminder to really look at your statements and check any bank notifications as to unauthorised/card not present transactions.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:55 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by rienhart87
I believe it's 4% but CX will be able to get away from GDPR as the breach happened before the implementation of GDPR.
My cynical tin foil hat side of me wonders if the breach happened after GDPR was implemented in May, but saying March will get them grandfathered lol.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by happyshanzhui
I got the email and it states:

The following types of personal data about you were accessed:
  • Email Address
  • Flown Flight Number & Date
  • HKID Number
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Permit Number
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
Your version is alarming--it fits the speculation that a neighboring government may be hacking to search for data hidden by their own citizens such as other nationalities and travel history.
kaka and HarbourGent like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.