Wiki Posts
Search

How early can you force reset?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: CXDM
How early can you force reset?

My annual renewal month is in November, and I have renewed my GO till Nov 2020 within the 6 months of this year. Unfortunately, I don't forsee any heavy flying in the next few months. I was wondering how far in advance does MPC allow resets?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by tehbing
My annual renewal month is in November, and I have renewed my GO till Nov 2020 within the 6 months of this year. Unfortunately, I don't forsee any heavy flying in the next few months. I was wondering how far in advance does MPC allow resets?
MPC recently kindly reset my DM 3 weeks in advance of the year end and let me keep the original year end. TBH I'm not sure what approach they would take so far in advance of the year end if you are not doing high mileage.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Why do you want to early reset if you're not flying much between now and November anyway?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
To get the mid-tier benefits again earlier rather than later, I imagine
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:34 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
To get the mid-tier benefits again earlier rather than later, I imagine
If every year you only think you will *just* reach Gold you won't get any mid-tier benefits?

OP has said that between July and November, he doesn't expect to do much flying. So maybe he thinks that it's better to credit these flights to the next year. But by resetting so early, you are essentially losing 4 months of your status.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I was able to early reset 1 month before, you may want to just call and ask.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Sorry - most of my flights are to Shanghai the next few months in economy. So i'll get maybe 140CPs from the scheduled 7 flights from now to November - not enough to hit the mid-tier benefit at 800 CP. It's a bit annoying to be losing that 140CPs essentially trapped in the no-man's land, and was wondering if there was any way to hard reset and start crediting it to the next cycle.

Last edited by tehbing; Jul 11, 2019 at 8:53 am Reason: Clarity
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:42 pm

Maybe you can remove the membership number from the gate and retroactively claim the miles at the next membership cycle so that you don't lose the CP points?? It doesn't make sense to lose 4 months of status to force a hard reset. It sounds silly.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Sorry - most of my flights are to Shanghai the next few months in economy. So i'll get maybe 140CPs from the scheduled 7 flights from now to November - not enough to hit the mid-tier benefit at 800 CP. It's a bit annoying to be losing that 140CPs essentially trapped in the no-man's land, and was wondering if there was any way to hard reset and start crediting it to the next cycle.
As other posters allude to, my guess is you misunderstand this key point what happens during a hard reset: your membership year resets to the month you hard reset, meaning you still only get 12 months. So if you reset now, your new year starts immediately and you're GO until July 31, 2020 (not November 30, 2020). Aka, unless you are a very frequent flier crushing out mid-tier benefits, or some other reasons which don't seem to apply to you, you generally do not want to reset early because it de facto will shorten the length of your elite status-ness with Cathay.

Example: Your Gold membership year runs from December 1, 2019 to November 30, 2020 and you have 620 CP, good enough for Gold requalification.
If you call them to reset now: You will be GO until July 31, 2020, and your new qualifying year begins immediately
If you don't do anything: You will be GO until November 30, 2020.

For this reason, me and I suspect the other board members are confused at what you're doing. Again, it can make sense to reset early, but I cannot see in your circumstances why it would be.

I think you are incorrectly assuming that by resetting now, you get the extra 3-4 months to achieve Gold in your next year. This is, unfortunately, a misunderstanding of how the CX reset system works. The only caveat, and it's much smaller, is you can call them to ask for a reset on the 1st or 2nd of the month of expiry (in your case November), essentially getting yourself an extra month. So for example, in your case you should call on Nov 1 or Nov 2, 2019. It will reset. However, because you're already in November, your MPC year will stay the same: ending Nov 30. Thus, for your year ending Nov 30, 2020, you can essentially give yourself 13 months not 12. But if you make that phone call in October, your year will end on Oct 31. Etc.
wyskevin likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
Maybe you can remove the membership number from the gate and retroactively claim the miles at the next membership cycle so that you don't lose the CP points?? It doesn't make sense to lose 4 months of status to force a hard reset. It sounds silly.
I'm pretty sure it would be backdated.... the points are applied to your account based on when the flight was taken, not when it actually posts to the ledger.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:46 pm

I just hit 1800 Club Points for the year but my year didn't renew until August... after reading this post, I sent an email to MPC and asked to reset my year... they replied back later yesterday and they did reset it, however they also reset the year end date to be end of July rather than end of August as before... which is fine.

Good idea! I would never have thought to request this. Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I'm pretty sure it would be backdated.... the points are applied to your account based on when the flight was taken, not when it actually posts to the ledger.
They're actually not backdated, fyi. They indeed post when they credit to your account. Thus, a frequent "strategy" of folks in here is to withhold your MPC # and retro-credit it, based on your needs.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Unless things changed very recently, or else, as @QRC3288 said, it is based on the posting date.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Very helpful thanks for the explanation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.