FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   9.4 million passengers’ data stolen from CX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1937167-9-4-million-passengers-data-stolen-cx.html)

percysmith Oct 25, 2018 12:41 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 30353468)
No wonder the lounges are so crowded, with all this data for identity theft :D

I wish they swap the assiduousness they are currently using to hold onto seats from redemption into holding our personal data securely.

Nicc HK Oct 25, 2018 12:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd (Post 30353376)
Class action?

Sadly class action does not exist in Hong Kong, however if the breach includes US based MPC members then that could could be a game changer.

May well be worth FT members collaborating once more information becomes available.

rienhart87 Oct 25, 2018 1:11 am

May well be worth FT members collaborating once more information becomes available.
I agree with this. we need to collaborate once we have more facts about how deep/serious the breach is

blum81 Oct 25, 2018 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Nicc HK (Post 30353487)
Sadly class action does not exist in Hong Kong, however if the breach includes US based MPC members then that could could be a game changer.

How would your base be determined?

I hold a Canada passport but have mailing addresses in both Malaysia and Canada.

Either way i'm in for collaborating if I qualify :D

FlyPointyEnd Oct 25, 2018 1:37 am

Originally Posted by cathaychap (Post 30352747)
I believe what Cathay is saying is that nobody has had their full profile taken. It's more bits of data taken. Like a few numbers of a passport and half an email address. At any rate, visit infosecurity.cathaypacific.com if concerned. The good thing is that CX, unlike BA, has a coordinated response to the threat. I had to cancel two credit cards with the BA thing.

Here's the information taken from me,
  • Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
  • Travel Document Number

a friend of mine got the following
  • Date of Birth
  • Email Address
  • HKID Number
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Permit Number
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
  • Travel Document Number

That's a lot of info....

FlyPointyEnd Oct 25, 2018 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Nicc HK (Post 30353487)

Looks like they are really concerned about US based MPO members because they made a page specifically for them.

blum81 Oct 25, 2018 1:53 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd (Post 30353616)
Here's the information taken from me,
  • Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
  • Travel Document Number

a friend of mine got the following
  • Date of Birth
  • Email Address
  • HKID Number
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Permit Number
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
  • Travel Document Number

That's a lot of info....

interesting. seems it's different for everyone.

Here's what I got.
  • Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Email Address
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Telephone Number
  • Title

OneWorldLoyalist Oct 25, 2018 2:04 am

What happened?

As part of our ongoing IT security processes, we discovered unauthorised access to some of our passenger data.

We initially discovered suspicious activity on our network in March this year. Upon discovery, we took immediate action to contain the event, to commence a thorough investigation with the assistance of a leading cybersecurity firm, and to further strengthen our IT security measures. Unauthorised access to certain personal data was confirmed in early May. Since that time, analysis of the data has continued in order to identify affected individuals and to determine whether the data at issue could be reconstructed.

We have no evidence that any personal data has been misused. We recommend that you follow the steps outlined in this notice to help protect yourself against potential risks.
What information was involved?

The following types of personal data about you were accessed:
  • Date of Birth
  • Email Address
  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Telephone Number
  • Title
  • Travel Document Number
This is what i got

kaka Oct 25, 2018 2:06 am

i dont have the email for neither my parents nor myself. interesting.
considering i fly on award every month and they have quarterly (paid) flights on CX

FlyPointyEnd Oct 25, 2018 2:09 am

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 30353668)
considering i fly on award every month and they have quarterly (paid) flights on CX

All of my DM friend's already got an email. Maybe they are informing people based on MPO status first hehehe

blum81 Oct 25, 2018 2:09 am

What MP status are you?

My wife is at gold and parents are at silver but neither of them received the email.

Wonder if they are they really sending emails out according to MP levels? lol.

kaka Oct 25, 2018 2:11 am

Originally Posted by blum81 (Post 30353677)
What MP status are you?

My wife is at gold and parents are at silver but neither of them received the email.

Wonder if they are they really sending emails out according to MP levels? lol.

we are nothing in MPO but OWE and OWS for JAL

1010101 Oct 25, 2018 2:13 am

I haven't had the email and I was flying CX almost weekly up until March, though I never joined AM. It would make sense if they sent them out in tranches, 9.4 million is a huge amount to send in one hit.

etkuo Oct 25, 2018 2:14 am

Same here. I am GO and my parents are GR and none of us have received the email. I find it hard to believe that we are not part of the 9.4million passengers. So probably they are actually sending the emails by status. The CX website does mention that they are sending the emails in the coming days.

Any non-DM have received the emails?

AmD950 Oct 25, 2018 2:20 am

AFAIK They are contacting the DMs now.