Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

9.4 million passengers’ data stolen from CX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kaka
Cathay Pacific information site:
https://infosecurity.cathaypacific.com/en_HK.html

If you want to hold CX to legal standing for the loss of private data, the best shot would be using EU GDPR regulations:
What to write to DPO/CX ([email protected]) according to EU GDPR in very short... (ref #177)
(if CX is seen as a HK company, then EU GDPR would apply to all EU Citizen inc valid and expired (not renounced) BNO Holders; and if CX is seen managed by John Swire & Sons Ltd in the UK via Swire, then Data Protection Act 2018 (of UK) which includes GDPR would apply to EVERYONE)
  • ask for data that CX hold on you
  • highlight specifically which data was lost
    (there's a few things you could ask them according to GPDR... refer to the website)
They have 1 month to respond or they will have to give you a reasonable timeframe where they have to respond by within the 1 month before you can go to ICO.

If you are seeking compensation from CX the loss of private data, the following sites are dealing with class action against CX (not a legal advise)
  • http://www.cathaydatabreach.com
  • http://www.classlawdc.com/2018/10/25/cathay-pacific-data-breach-class-action-investigation/
Print Wikipost

9.4 million passengers’ data stolen from CX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Curious, seems to have gone quiet, any developments? Not seen anything on the newswires
kaka likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:14 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by Cambo
Hahaha, Marriott/Starwood reported to have beaten CX by a huge margin. 500M accounts/bookings leaked........

yup... I got an email from Marriott. Ironically while staying at the Marriott Taipei.

I think we should place bets on which hotel chain or airline will be next lol.
kaka likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Hahaha, Marriott/Starwood reported to have beaten CX by a huge margin. 500M accounts/bookings leaked........
guess who was fishing for it
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by kaka

guess who was fishing for it
I think gmail would be the biggest trophy. About everybody with an Android phone does have one or more gmail accounts.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:24 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
http://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.ph...342&a=59075764

Apple claims CX 9.4m --> TU leak --> card replace --> card theft from insecure residential mailbox
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
http://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.ph...342&a=59075764

Apple claims CX 9.4m --> TU leak --> card replace --> card theft from insecure residential mailbox
I can't read the Chinese gibberish, though if your English summary does describe the reference, then I would say that blaming CX for theft from insecure mailboxes would be a very long stretch.

I am also surprised, cards don't seem to be blocked when in the mail and do have to be unblocked by the user, using a dial response phone system. At least, in Europe, this is more or less common.

And: I still did not hear ANYTHING about people whose credit card details were retrieved from CX, nor anybody reports identity theft, possibly due to the CX hack.
(Which again convinces me, this hack was a state-hack, to obtain phone/identity correlation info).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:20 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I can't read the Chinese gibberish, though if your English summary does describe the reference, then I would say that blaming CX for theft from insecure mailboxes would be a very long stretch.
That's like blaming a computer owner for not patching software isn't it? Shouldn't have released buggy software in the first place.

However whether CX is the source of the info to pass Transunion is a stretch.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:39 am

BA just got hit by a HK$1.8 billion fine for their data loss. I wonder if the PCPD can/will do anything similar to CX.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by 1010101
BA just got hit by a HK$1.8 billion fine for their data loss. I wonder if the PCPD can/will do anything similar to CX.
I highly doubt it since this was a fine imposed by the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) where BA is based. HK laws and their commission do not have any powers to impose fines.

As for BA's fine, they will be fighting this with a tooth and nail so watch the space as this could set a precedent for other cases.
CS300 likes this.

Last edited by 380Flyer; Jul 8, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
I highly doubt it since this was a fine imposed by the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) where BA is based. HK laws and their commission do not have any powers to impose fines.

As for BA's fine, they will be fighting this with a tooth and nail so watch the space as this could set a precedent for other cases.
Thanks. I didn't know they couldn't impose fines. It makes me wonder what the point of them being there is, but it is HK.

BA have been made an example of as a deterrent to others, and there may well be significant penalties still to come from other ongoing court cases.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 1010101
PCPD is weak. If you expect PCPD will do anything for you, it is more practical for you to sue CX at the Small Claims Tribunal - faster, cheaper, and effective.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC
In the UK the ICO is acting jointly for all the other EU data regulators, and when the actual final fine is agreed some of the spoils will get shared with other EU data regulators.

​​​​There is going to be a certain amount of headline grabbing on the BA one as the breach was the first 'big one' after the EU GDPR regulations came into effect.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:58 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
2 months ago I had my credit card compromised. It's a card I really only use to book travel/pay for bills. Cathay, BA, Malaysia Airlines and Philippine Air are the airlines I used with the card.

Has anyone else had their credit cards compromised after the data leak?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by blum81
2 months ago I had my credit card compromised. It's a card I really only use to book travel/pay for bills. Cathay, BA, Malaysia Airlines and Philippine Air are the airlines I used with the card.

Has anyone else had their credit cards compromised after the data leak?
Head over to the BA board. A lot of people there have.
blum81 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Marriott too has been hit with a similar fine.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/07/09/...r-data-breach/

Any bet that Cathay is next?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.