Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude Telephone Agent - Bassinet Seat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Rude Telephone Agent - Bassinet Seat

Rude telephone agent; I was calling in to switch to a bassinet seat 30C and the agent said was like:

"are you traveling with an infant"
"no"
"then we cannot assign you to the bassinet seat"
"the seat is still vacant, just blocked; can you switch me to it?"
"no"
"But I've never had issues in the past switching to bassinet seats when calling in and I'd like to switch to it"
"No, how come you are not letting me even though I've always been allowed in the past and I understand I may be moved if need be"
"Let me check your record and pull up the details.....okay, I've move you to seat 30C...blah blah blah (usual spiel about how you may get moved if someone needs it)"

Note that also the agent was basically using a yelling tone throughout the conversation even from the beginning...not a nice way to converse with someone.

I've never dealt with such an obtuse and incompetent agent before.

Last edited by hl176; Oct 17, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by hl176
Rude telephone agent; I was calling in to switch to a bassinet seat 30C and the agent said was like:

"no"
"the seat is still vacant, just blocked; can you switch me to it?"
"no"
I would've hung up by this point.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:49 am

Just hang up and try again when you get one like that. CX have a few agents that are from the HK computer says no school of customer service, not worth the time it takes to deal with them.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:56 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I will add for the recording "I will switch to an agent that is properly trained. Thank you."
nastypenman and dannyhk like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by percysmith
I will add for the recording "I will switch to an agent that is properly trained. Thank you."
I would be concerned about a nasty note put into the PNR, so I wouldn't say that.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I would be concerned about a nasty note put into the PNR, so I wouldn't say that.
Not terribly concerned as I am certain >90% of PNR notes don't get read (@Kesler Go - your recent FB post)
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
actually i think that bassinet seats should not be able to be allocated to non-infant carrying pax.

creates all sorts of problems during check in - check in agents many times dont remove pax who are travelling without infants (lazy? incompetent? dont want to upset DM?).

so ends up with non-infant pax occupying a bassinet position, with pax who need the seat missing out.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by ermen
dont want to upset DM?
I can imagine this one. Agent:
- would a couple of parents have time to put something up my backside if I don't reallocate the DMs; or
- would the child-less DMs have time to put something up my backside if I reallocate them to the middle seats in front of the toilet?

I'm all in for a rule change - so long as I nor anyone else can HUACA their way out of it.
Seats can only be released akin to opup as infant seats can be booked 1 hour before departure.

The only bassinet seat I ever asked for is 2A.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:22 am

I love the reasons that the front row seat MUST be allocated to you simply because:-

(1) You demand for it
(2) It was offered to you before

I must try using these reasons on CX one day......

(Audio)
nancypants and jckl like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Can 11A on the 33E/K be released? I had an impression that was only for the airport, unlike 2A on the 77H for example where you can call in. Or maybe I haven't tried enough (given that 11A is not my favored prime seat on the A33E/K anyway...)

Any anecdotes for B77H 32H as well? I think that might be another one. Or maybe I'm both wrong. LOL
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ermen
actually i think that bassinet seats should not be able to be allocated to non-infant carrying pax.

creates all sorts of problems during check in - check in agents many times dont remove pax who are travelling without infants (lazy? incompetent? dont want to upset DM?).

so ends up with non-infant pax occupying a bassinet position, with pax who need the seat missing out.
That's a management and training problem. Hardly a reason to deny requested seats.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Audio
I love the reasons that the front row seat MUST be allocated to you simply because:-

(1) You demand for it
(2) It was offered to you before

I must try using these reasons on CX one day......

(Audio)
I understand where everyones' concerns are coming from but honestly speaking, it would be much more helpful if:

1) If it's actually internal policy to no longer allocate bassinet seats, then the agent should state the reason when prompted; it was mentioned how come in the past it was possible and now it's no longer possible. If they offered a reason, then fine yes, I would accept it but just going in a roundabout discussion isn't helpful to customers nor is it an efficient use of anyone's time - both CX's agents as well as customers.

2) the agent from the get go did not initiate the conversation with an infuriated tone. When I mentioned pardon me, can you please repeat it as the reception isn't clear on my end, there's really no need to bark and yell everything back in an almost sarcastic way. It honestly really is no acceptable in terms of customer service but given the long hold times, is it worthwhile to hang up and call again?

Also, when people are calling in to CX and for the hold music, do you guys experience a lot of in the middle of the tune or is the static part of their recording; it happens every single time, no matter where in the world.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Potential Solution: Just buy an infant ticket for your fictional infant at 10% of the adult fare. On day of travel "oh, my wife decided it would be better if our son stayed home with her instead..."
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
Potential Solution: Just buy an infant ticket for your fictional infant at 10% of the adult fare. On day of travel "oh, my wife decided it would be better if our son stayed home with her instead..."
Why do this?

Demand and you will get it. In addition, get to blame airlines and telephone agent for being rude as well. Cannot think of any better outcome than this.

(Audio)
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Audio
Why do this?

Demand and you will get it. In addition, get to blame airlines and telephone agent for being rude as well. Cannot think of any better outcome than this.

(Audio)
I fail to see how searching for an answer is considered 'demanding' nor stating the fact that someone who initiated the conversation in a rude tone is 'blaming them'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.