Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will CX ever bring back comped DM with Centurion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will CX ever bring back comped DM with Centurion?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
I don't think just having billions sitting in the bank works, you have to have a history of actually spending on an Amex card, which in most cases would likely be on the Plat card. Furthermore according to data points in the Amex forum on FT, that spend has to be "luxury" spend such as travel, hotel, jewelry, etc, so paying for your grocery and utilities doesn't cut it.
Not true; what Flypointyend said is correct.

Many private banks have allocations to clients and are able to open a card for you. You just need to fulfill deposit requirements for a certain time.

However, the question at hand isn't how one can get a Centurion but rather the likelihood of the CX and Amex partnership reinstated.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by hl176
Not true; what Flypointyend said is correct. Many private banks have allocations to clients and are able to open a card for you. You just need to fulfill deposit requirements for a certain time. However, the question at hand isn't how one can get a Centurion but rather the likelihood of the CX and Amex partnership reinstated.
That may work for non-US Cent, but the US Centurion is now really hard to get, some with over $1M spend a year still haven't heard anything from the Cent invite.

The Cent with DM thing was both a clever and stupid marketing campaign, clever in getting those card holders' attention, but dumb in handing out candies without asking for some form of loyalty. Heard that the comped DM only lasted for one year, the second year, they needed to fly half as much as real DMs (60k at that time), and that was it, no more freebies for 3rd year. Definitely hope we wouldn't see that kind of offer ever again! I have been avoiding staying with Hiltons since Amex introduced the Aspire product. Hate to see overloaded Hilton DMs evverywhere.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by APeverell
That may work for non-US Cent, but the US Centurion is now really hard to get, some with over $1M spend a year still haven't heard anything from the Cent invite.

The Cent with DM thing was both a clever and stupid marketing campaign, clever in getting those card holders' attention, but dumb in handing out candies without asking for some form of loyalty. Heard that the comped DM only lasted for one year, the second year, they needed to fly half as much as real DMs (60k at that time), and that was it, no more freebies for 3rd year. Definitely hope we wouldn't see that kind of offer ever again! I have been avoiding staying with Hiltons since Amex introduced the Aspire product. Hate to see overloaded Hilton DMs evverywhere.
Yes, for the IDC and IEC card which is the easiest if you don't want to "spend" per say.

I think it was half and half; some people got downgraded directly to green the following year but some retained DM for flying nothing the following years and some had it issued on the sub card even though I believe it wasn't supposed to be issued to them. Same thing to plats.

Anyhow, centurions just going downhill and downhill for the past two decades; benefits and fees seem to be inversely proportional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.