Pier and Wing F lounges

Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:35 am

Thanks everyone. 4.5 hrs on the way to syd, will just stay in terminal. 9.5 hrs on way back, will exit and re enter. Will be carrying absolute minimal stuff in a small backpack, will just carry it around city.

Whats the process for arrival in HKG, exit to HK and then reenter to take a connecting flight? If i'm on time, i'll probably leave for 6 hrs or so I guess. Are there any hang ups I should be aware of?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by s115
Thanks everyone. 4.5 hrs on the way to syd, will just stay in terminal. 9.5 hrs on way back, will exit and re enter. Will be carrying absolute minimal stuff in a small backpack, will just carry it around city.

Whats the process for arrival in HKG, exit to HK and then reenter to take a connecting flight? If i'm on time, i'll probably leave for 6 hrs or so I guess. Are there any hang ups I should be aware of?
This question is more appropriate for the HKG forum.

You don't need to enter HK for transfers if your luggage is checked through. There are transfer points for transits where you can pass through security to get to the departure level. Be careful about LAG requirements in case you pick up something before security.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
A few questions for everyone and a specific for skunker, OWE here flying DOH HKG SYD return early next year. 9 hr layover on the way back.
- I used a F lounge with cabanas previously in 2012, which lounge was this? the pier or the wing? - I understand one is new?
- Do all CX F/J lounges have the ability to store a carryon bag? - love to head into the city
- skunker - is this because you have cleared security to go through to board your connecting flight and you now want to exit, then re enter through public channels later on?
- Any other way to store a carryon bag and make a HKG city visit an easier experience?
When I did it, it didn't seem to be a pain for anyone. I was connecting onto AA so I went to the airline service desk near the front of the terminal. I explained what I wanted to do, she called someone and then asked where my passport is from. I told her US and she then walked me to a special elevator near the QF lounge and down to the immigration level. We showed the guard my passport and boarding pass and he said OK. I waited in line like everyone else and immigration took 30 seconds once it was my turn. Again, this was last November.

I was told only the J Pier lounge had baggage lockers.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
I was told only the J Pier lounge had baggage lockers.
s115 can access the F lounges as an OWE. I used to frequent Wing F, and left my carry-on with the attendant at the reception.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:29 am

Thanks for the advice!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
s115 can access the F lounges as an OWE. I used to frequent Wing F, and left my carry-on with the attendant at the reception.
Thanks for the advice!
But I lost my DM status two years ago. So I do not have recent experience leaving carry on with the attendant in F lounge.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the practice has not changed. It is just not lockers but a small room that is manned. They give you a tag to indicate how many pieces in storage. Very similar to what Arrival lounge does, except Arrival lounge storage is way too small for the usage and is filled up very quickly.

Late last year I left my carryon at Wing F lounge with the attendant late when I had 6 hours to kill (had to arrive HKG early due to husband departed 4 hours ahead of me.)

After that I just walked to Pier as a good exercise. Then on way back I dropped by Bridge which I also liked (probably a minority here.) The set up with 2 sides often means the side where there is a coffee bar, always is a nice quiet area. After an Irish coffee and a couple cookies I returned to Wing F, retrieved the carryon and headed to the gate - only had to return to the lounge because the captain was not anywhere to be found so the gate agents sent us back to the lounge... We had almost an hour delay. Then the flight had a medical diversion to SFO, so I missed my connection LAX-SEA. Had we not had the hour delay at departing HKG, I would still make the connection even with the Med diversion. Sigh.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:57 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
The lounges, F or J are not really worth planning too much around vs. being able to visit the city.
It really depends on where you are coming in from. We frequently have to deal with 9 to 12 hours layovers from the AA LAX-HKG flight to our evening CX HKG-BKK as CX only provides a few seats to AA, at a reasonable price of course, for the earlier codeshares. Going into the city just for the day after the long TPAC even in J can be a pain, plus, it's good to get a shower/bath and nap in one of the cabanas in the Wing FC. The cabana attendants have never rushed us to leave but we don't "overstay" by very much. Though I'm always tempted to just do an overnite, last time used the Regal at the airport which was very good. One of the choices last trip was the 8am HKG-BKK on CX the next day on the new A350 and we received an UPG to PE.

My November trip has a 6 hour layover between my CX BKK-HKG to the AA HKG-LAX so not really enough time to run into the city to do anything plus I have a one night stand in HK on the return, so I plan on doing a lounge crawl. Getting in at about noon, so start at the Wing FC and eat lunch at the Haven, which I still prefer to the Pier FC. Before the 18:55 flight on AA, usually out of the Pier Lounge area gates, I will spend some time at the Pier FC to get a foot massage and a lite dinner so I don't have to eat the airline food, though the steak is usually pretty good on AA out of HKG. In between, some walking and maybe a stop at the Bridge as it's also very good especially for an afternoon snack. With the CX lounges at HKG, it's a bad place for a diet.

One of my favorite day trips into HK is taking the AE to Kowloon, grab the K2 shuttle to the Penisula (or Marco Polo,) and walk to the Star Ferry for the ride over to Central. Depending upon the time, dim sum lunch at Maxim's at City Hall, walk to the Peak tram, if too much of a line, taxi (really not much more than the tram charge,) up to the peak and do the apx 1 hour walk around the island And return.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by nightkhan
If you're feeling lazy and don't want to make the trek, just book a buggie an hour or two before boarding to take you from the Pier to the lower gates.
Can you request a free buggie when travelling CX F? or connecting to/from CX F CX C(no F to AU!!!!!!!!!) you auto get buggie when flying TG F but wasnt aware this was availalbe CX F
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cbourl
Can you request a free buggie when travelling CX F? or connecting to/from CX F CX C(no F to AU!!!!!!!!!) you auto get buggie when flying TG F but wasnt aware this was availalbe CX F
No, you don't.

Only CX Diamonds are given buggy vouchers, for far gates.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by QRC3288
No, you don't.

Shame!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
No, you don't.

Originally Posted by cbourl
Shame!
In fact, at least in the past, CX DM are given buggy vouchers for far gates even when traveling Y. I don't know about transit though.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:12 am

Just sitting in Pier First Class Lounge Dining Room today, and over the course of an hour, saw the guest at the table next to me order almost every starter and main course on the menu. However, the guest only took one or two bites of each dish and then moved onto the next one.

I would say that at least two-thirds of the food was wasted.

The attendants didnt say a thing...just kept bringing the dishes out one after another.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Just sitting in Pier First Class Lounge Dining Room today, and over the course of an hour, saw the guest at the table next to me order almost every starter and main course on the menu. However, the guest only took one or two bites of each dish and then moved onto the next one.

I would say that at least two-thirds of the food was wasted.

The attendants didnt say a thing...just kept bringing the dishes out one after another.
saw a similar scene at the deck today with a group of (nationality withheld) girls literally bringing dozens of plates of food from the buffet, making a lot of noise and taking lots of selfies etc...they ended up not touching most of the food
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vj_rama
thanks for the advice!

I arrive 9am'ish and have a 6pm'ish departure.

Definitely planned on taking HK express train to Hong Kong station. Anyone know about how long (or difficult) it would be to hike up Victoria Peak?

Would be nice if JFK flights leave closer to Pier.
hike up?
people of all ages do that... 2 hours from the end of bus 13 to the top leisurely. so add another 2 hours if you walk from hk station, or could use the escalator to conduit road+ a 30 mins walk to get the busstop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.