Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Possible goodbye soon to low fuel surcharges from Hong Kong?

Possible goodbye soon to low fuel surcharges from Hong Kong?

Reply

Old Sep 21, 18, 8:28 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: TK*G
Posts: 234
Possible goodbye soon to low fuel surcharges from Hong Kong?

Source:
CAD announces new display requirements for ticket prices at airlines' direct sales outlets and arrangements for fuel surcharges


Summary:
1) All airlines selling tickets originating from Hong Kong has to display total "must pay" price including the fuel surcharge and tax
2) All optional charges/services (e.g. baggage for LCC, paid seat selection, insurance, etc.) can only be offered on an opt-in basis
3) After 1/Nov, airlines can decide their own fuel surcharge

The (1) and (2) point is definitely a plus, yet for point (3)...
It is publicly known that award tickets departing from Hong Kong are at good bargain given the low fuel surcharge, now may no longer be the case..
kaka, royng and hessbo like this.
bart simpson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:46 am
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,173
Originally Posted by bart simpson View Post
Source:
CAD announces new display requirements for ticket prices at airlines' direct sales outlets and arrangements for fuel surcharges


Summary:
1) All airlines selling tickets originating from Hong Kong has to display total "must pay" price including the fuel surcharge and tax
2) All optional charges/services (e.g. baggage for LCC, paid seat selection, insurance, etc.) can only be offered on an opt-in basis
3) After 1/Nov, airlines can decide their own fuel surcharge

The (1) and (2) point is definitely a plus, yet for point (3)...
It is publicly known that award tickets departing from Hong Kong are at good bargain given the low fuel surcharge, now may no longer be the case..
its terrible wherethey are not forced to have prices all inclusive and have a blanket ban on yq surcharges
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:47 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 10,429
Presumably the "fuel surcharge" must be the same for all tickets for the same route for the same day? Otherwise, as you suggest, this could just make AsiaMiles worthless.
christep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:32 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by christep View Post
Presumably the "fuel surcharge" must be the same for all tickets for the same route for the same day? Otherwise, as you suggest, this could just make AsiaMiles worthless.
Well, they can change a HKG/PEK ticket from $3000 fare + $1000 surcharge to $1000 fare + $3000 surcharge given they aren't regulated at all. Essentially your miles help you save $1000 instead of $3000.

Take ex-LON (e.g. BA) as an example, many long-haul econ tickets are only around 100gbp whereas the remaining are all fuel/airline surcharges...
AviationAddict is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:23 am
  #5  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 13,564
Hong Kong airfares tipped to rise as airlines regain control over fuel surcharges
https://sc.mp/2xHNZpK

Wink til your eye cramps

Further devaluation of miles
percysmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:47 am
  #6  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
Posts: 8,936
Ugh. Cathay finally wins in ďtime to winĒ.
sxc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:52 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 1,837
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Hong Kong airfares tipped to rise as airlines regain control over fuel surcharges

Someone writing an article with zero grasp of economics. The final price paid by the customer doesn't go up because fuel surcharges are allowed or not
ajeleonard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 6:34 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,942
Further devaluation to Asia Miles and now have to pay BA Avios scam fee ex Hong Kong too when redeeming CX/KA intra Asia flights.

Bad news all around.
AviationAddict and hessbo like this.
Happy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 7:11 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,173
what airlines (bar yank , ex braxil, ex philli) do not charge yq.

that said, disgusting mask of free market.
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:20 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Someone writing an article with zero grasp of economics. The final price paid by the customer doesn't go up because fuel surcharges are allowed or not
Of course it does when we are talking about award flights. If a flight from HKG-LHR costs 120,000 miles (of whatever variety) and at the moment the additional taxes and fees costs about HKD300, but after the change it continues to cost 120,000 miles, but the additional taxes and fees increases to HKD1,800 then that is a substantial increase in the flight. I don't see any likelihood of a reduction in the miles charged, as the miles are currently the same for that flight departing LHR as they are for the flight departing HKG.
percysmith likes this.

Last edited by relaxonbarton; Sep 21, 18 at 10:21 pm Reason: .
relaxonbarton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:47 pm
  #11  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
Posts: 8,936
Originally Posted by relaxonbarton View Post
Of course it does when we are talking about award flights. If a flight from HKG-LHR costs 120,000 miles (of whatever variety) and at the moment the additional taxes and fees costs about HKD300, but after the change it continues to cost 120,000 miles, but the additional taxes and fees increases to HKD1,800 then that is a substantial increase in the flight. I don't see any likelihood of a reduction in the miles charged, as the miles are currently the same for that flight departing LHR as they are for the flight departing HKG.
You are correct. But for non redemption fares it doesn’t change the total cost which will be more driven by market.
sxc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 18, 12:41 am
  #12  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 13,564
"I do not like, however, that the airlines can add these fuel surcharges as they wish because there is no need for these in reality. Airlines can always change the fares as they please.

The only reason behind these fuel surcharges is that they collect them on award tickets, corporate discounts donít apply for them and travel agents donít get commissions based on the YQ amount."

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/09/21/...vember-1-2018/
percysmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 18, 2:21 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SYD, and not PKC
Programs: VA Platinum, QF OWS Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott/IHG Gold
Posts: 1,373
Oh well I can see CX now copying QF to charge hideous fuel surcharges on their award flights.
kamchatsky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 18, 5:58 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Posts: 281
If CX wanted to charge hideous YQ they couldíve done so on the inbound flight right now, but they havenít. Is there any reason to believe this will change?
Dave510 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 18, 9:07 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
If CX wanted to charge hideous YQ they couldíve done so on the inbound flight right now, but they havenít. Is there any reason to believe this will change?
Even when CX won't impose hideous YQ, the fact is for redemption tickets we will have to pay additionally HK$300 (short-haul) or HK$1200+ (long-haul) solely for CX profit...
And at the same time, the cash fare might stay as it is, I'm more incline to spend on cash fare more than redemption
royng likes this.
marcolau317 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: