Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Possible goodbye soon to low fuel surcharges from Hong Kong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible goodbye soon to low fuel surcharges from Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
No, in fact ajelonard: what the Hong Kong's aviation regulator has done is pass on the power to add/remove fuel surcharges over to the airlines. It is now up to the airlines to collect/add/remove fuel surcharges - and no longer in the government's hands.

Therefore, with current oil prices where they are, it is actually inevitable airfares will go up on cash bookings AND redemptions.

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Someone writing an article with zero grasp of economics. The final price paid by the customer doesn't go up because fuel surcharges are allowed or not
On the final price: that is a separate rule ordered by CAD to ensure pricing is transparent and that passengers know the full price at the first time of asking - not just the cost of the airfare
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave510
If CX wanted to charge hideous YQ they could’ve done so on the inbound flight right now, but they haven’t. Is there any reason to believe this will change?
If you price out from any airports in India to HKG vs from HKG to any airports in India, you will notice the difference.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by NoviceFT
If you price out from any airports in India to HKG vs from HKG to any airports in India, you will notice the difference.
Just ran ITA matrix, I saw the difference is the CX YQ fee for return, exactly as the one published.
Unless you are talking premium cabins, seems that additional India GST is charged
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:57 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
No, in fact ajelonard: what the Hong Kong's aviation regulator has done is pass on the power to add/remove fuel surcharges over to the airlines. It is now up to the airlines to collect/add/remove fuel surcharges - and no longer in the government's hands.

Therefore, with current oil prices where they are, it is actually inevitable airfares will go up on cash bookings AND redemptions.
There has never been anything stopping paid airfares rising in response to increasing fuel costs. Regardless of whether a portion of the airfare is labelled as "fuel surcharge". Because it was only ever about labelling.

Before 2014(?):
Fare of $5000 can have a fuel surcharge of $500 added, but airlines can advertise their fare as $5000 and initial search results will show that amount.

2014-2015:
Fuel surcharges were capped at lower amounts. Nothing stopped the airline from changing the total price to $5400 fare + $100 fuel surcharge. However, the advertised price and initial search results would now have to show $5400.

2016-2018:
Airlines cannot label any part of their fare as fuel surcharge, but nothing stopped them from charging a fare of $5500 or raising it to $6000.

Fuel surcharge permitted:
Airlines can now relabel the $5500 fare as $3000 fare and $2500 fuel surcharge or $1 fare and $5499 fuel surcharge if they like. They can still raise the fare + surcharge to $7000 if they want to. But now they need to advertise the total price, including the $300 departure tax+airport construction fee + overseas taxes and fees.

The only thing that can change is redemptions, since the amount of fare covered by miles can now be reduced.

The total price for paid airfares remains subject to market forces. If an airline raises the price of a ticket from $5000 to $5500, then there will be a drop in demand whether they label it as $5500 fare or $5000 fare + $500 fuel surcharge. Unless you think HK consumers are so stupid that they will pay $500 more for the same thing just because it is called a fuel surcharge but they won't pay it if it is called the fare?? It's not like airlines were collecting fuel surcharges at check-in based on the current price of oil - it was always fixed at the time of booking.

If there is no drop in demand, then the airlines were stupid and should have raised fares earlier.

Originally Posted by relaxonbarton
Of course it does when we are talking about award flights.
The SCMP article wasn't talking about award flights.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:31 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by :D!
The SCMP article wasn't talking about award flights.
Although the crowd here are both revenue and redemption passengers, you correctly pointed out there is negligble effect on the former, so the effect is on the latter.

Supposedly in the post-22/6 world CX is getting a lot more aggressive releasing redemption seats and being far more price discriminatory by more aggressive use of Choice/Tailored (cut the fiction Choice is available, it's usually just Tailored).

This rule change means we based in HK are going to pay more for redemptions. But will we get more seats for the higher prices we will be paying? I am doubful although I am reluctant to take bets on this here (cos in an online forum I have no idea how to collect on winnings).

If the "global trend of liberalisation of fuel surcharges to enhance competition" is true, competition will result in no additional profit to airlines from the change in rule; however with our slot-restricted airport, I do not have confidence there will be no adverse change to passengers.
royng likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by marcolau317
Just ran ITA matrix, I saw the difference is the CX YQ fee for return, exactly as the one published.
Unless you are talking premium cabins, seems that additional India GST is charged
My bad...up thread there was a mention of CX redemption using BA Avios, I was under the assumption that you were saying about the same. I must have been specific.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:25 pm

CX to apply new surcharges 2 Nov

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-updates.html
Previous table: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-November.html

"No fuel surcharges apply for travel itineraries originating in Hong Kong SAR." wording has been removed
So $652 for long haul (x2), $210 for Japan (x2), $146 for other short haul (x2)
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:32 am

https://onemileatatime.com/lh-yq-increase/

Obviously about another airline. But you'd wonder whether Fuel Surcharge is a False Trade Description and whether Carrier Surcharge is more appropriate.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:00 pm
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...set-cost-hk652

If this article is on the money, then CX seems to be re-introducing these surcharges first.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
Normally I'd jump ship to BA where their EU round trips in Y are around 4k but given the way they treat their employees it seems I have to eat the CX YQ...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by fishball
Normally I'd jump ship to BA where their EU round trips in Y are around 4k but given the way they treat their employees it seems I have to eat the CX YQ...
Virgin? Indirect ME3?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:51 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Virgin? Indirect ME3?
why not just suggest exmnl where i think yq is regulated
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by kaka

why not just suggest exmnl where i think yq is regulated
MNL r/t cost > $652x2?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Asia miles
I was going to redeem a ticket in November yvr-hkg-bkk for travel next year. Can I issue the ticket now and pay the $25usd per sector for a date change to avoid the new surcharge?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
MNL r/t cost > $652x2?
hes concerned about yq

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.