Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Possible goodbye soon to low fuel surcharges from Hong Kong?

Possible goodbye soon to low fuel surcharges from Hong Kong?

Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:16 pm

Any news about CX raising their fuel/carrier surcharge?

I heard that, starting from Nov 1, airlines' carrier surcharge will not be regulated. This means that these charges, no matter what they are called (e.g., BA made up the term "carrier surcharge"), will go up for sure.

Is there any news about CX raising their carrier surcharge soon? If so, when? Does it give advance notice?

My rationale for asking: I would like to get an award ticket using Iberia's Avios on CX. Once issued, this cannot be changed. Yet, I haven't had enough time to set the dates of travel yet. So, I want to know how much time I can buy for now before I get it ticketed prior to the surcharge hike. Thanks!

Last edited by Barkinpark; Oct 31, 2018 at 3:20 pm Reason: I see their press release about fuel surcharge changes.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:23 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...hong-kong.html

Sorry mate - you are late already.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by AviationAddict
I know I am late, because I am neither based in HKG (or Asia) nor a frequent CX flyer. I am just curious about this because I have some Avios to use and it seems that my best use is on CX, based on my dates and my routing needs.

So, from the above posts, it seems like the new additional charge is USD 83.6 per segment for long-hauls, correct?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: MPC, HH & others
Seems like a lot of prices have already increased today. I thought the increase goes into effect tomorrow (2nd).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hottub Cowboy
Seems like a lot of prices have already increased today. I thought the increase goes into effect tomorrow (2nd).
they also have to market all in prices too.
and historically every step you progress cx’s price creeps up by a bit.
now you compare w the last step.
Hottub Cowboy likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: MPC, HH & others
Originally Posted by kaka

They jacked up prices on certain routes like Singapore before the surcharge hit at midnight. Its up again since. I spoke with the MPC guys yesterday (1st) and they claim that this was the routine annual fare increase on 1st Nov and not the surcharge.
kaka likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by kaka

I stopped flying CX for several years due to their hideous bait-and-switch game in their website. Like you mentioned, as I continued to the next page of the online air ticket purchase process, the fare jumped. They should have alerted the buyer, but they didn't. Also, I cancelled one flight and had to wait 6 months & made 20+ phone calls before getting my refund.

They can't keep doing this before losing more business, esp. after their massive data breach. THAT will kill customer confidence.
kaka and Hottub Cowboy like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Barkinpark
I stopped flying CX for several years due to their hideous bait-and-switch game in their website. Like you mentioned, as I continued to the next page of the online air ticket purchase process, the fare jumped. They should have alerted the buyer, but they didn't. Also, I cancelled one flight and had to wait 6 months & made 20+ phone calls before getting my refund.

They can't keep doing this before losing more business, esp. after their massive data breach. THAT will kill customer confidence.
true. They usually give several fare to choose. If u select the cheapest fare, then the flights applicable should appear while the rest should blank out. But this is not the case. U click on the cheapest fare, the whole list of flight still appear (eg sin-HK). Then u have to select different combinations to see the exact fare. Really waste of time.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

true. They usually give several fare to choose. If u select the cheapest fare, then the flights applicable should appear while the rest should blank out. But this is not the case. U click on the cheapest fare, the whole list of flight still appear (eg sin-HK). Then u have to select different combinations to see the exact fare. Really waste of time.
Probably time for a class action lawsuit...though I am against frivolous lawsuits...this is not frivolous
kaka and Hottub Cowboy like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:44 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Qantas is still not showing tax inclusive prices on their website.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:38 am
Suspended

Programs: jeweledgolfclub
Originally Posted by sxc
Qantas is still not showing tax inclusive prices on their website.
Report to Customs and Excise and CAD?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.