Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

First timer on CX 889 from YVR-JFK. Preclearance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Mileage Plus, Aeroplan, SPG

Hello everyone,

I'll be taking my first flight on CX this weekend and will be flying in J/F from YVR-JFK-HKG-DXB.

I had a question about the start fo the journey. I was under the impression that pre-clearance will be done in Vancouver, but when trying to research the lounge's available on the trans-border side, however I stumbled across some dated posts that indicated that CX 889 passengers have to do immigration in JFK. Is that still accurate?

Any help would be great as I normally need to show up well ahead of time in order not to miss my flights via pre-clearance from Canada.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The flight number is CX888

CBP shuts down at 830pm (2030).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - so then I will be going through US immigration in YVR?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aba_bab
Thanks - so then I will be going through US immigration in YVR?
No; JFK.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:02 pm

No, I remember for this flight you clear CBP upon arrival at JFK
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
OP, I hope you are getting a good deal for back tracking from YVR to JFK to HKG.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Something is not right...

CX865 (formerly 889) is JFK - YVR - HKG. If your journey starts at JFK, you will have a stopover at YVR but you cannot leave the AC.
CX888 is HKG - YVR - JFK. If your journey starts at YVR, you clear you US immigration together with ex-HKG pax at JFK.

Are you taking CX888 (YVR - JFK), with a layover in New York, then CX 845/841/831/865 to HKG? Which city are you starting from?

Last edited by andersonCooper; Sep 20, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
OP, I hope you are getting a good deal for back tracking from YVR to JFK to HKG.
I suppose. Its an award redemption and I'm originating from YYC. The connections onwards from HKG to DXB were limited so that's why I think the AS agent allowed me to book this routing.

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Something is not right...

CX889 is JFK - YVR - HKG. If your journey starts at JFK, you will have a stopover at YVR but you cannot leave the AC.
CX888 is HKG - YVR - JFK. If your journey starts at YVR, you clear you US immigration together with ex-HKG pax at JFK.

Are you taking CX888 (YVR - JFK), with a layover in New York, then CX 845/841/831 to HKG?
Yes sorry - it is CX888. I am originating in YYC, but catching an aeroplan reward on AC to get me from YYC to YVR, so I guess that is irrelevant to your question.Actual CX ticket is:

YVR - JFK (CX888 - J)
JFK - HKG (CX841 - F)
HKG - DXB (CX 745 - J)

Ok so that is good to know. I had no idea. Guess I don't have to show up 5 hrs prior to my flight in YVR then thankfully.. I have missed way to many flights in secondary in pre-clearance to count. Hopefully being a J/F passenger allows me to get out of the plane asap at JFK and make my way past US immigration. That is interesting though.. having to do US immigration when I'll only be transiting for a few hours...

I guess the good news is I'll be able to use the CX First & Business lounge in YVR then
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:51 pm

I suppose. Its an award redemption and I'm originating from YYC. The connections onwards from HKG to DXB were limited so that's why I think the AS agent allowed me to book this routing.

Yes sorry - it is CX888. I am originating in YYC, but catching an aeroplan reward on AC to get me from YYC to YVR, so I guess that is irrelevant to your question.Actual CX ticket is:

YVR - JFK (CX888 - J)
JFK - HKG (CX841 - F)
HKG - DXB (CX 745 - J)

Ok so that is good to know. I had no idea. Guess I don't have to show up 5 hrs prior to my flight in YVR then thankfully.. I have missed way to many flights in secondary in pre-clearance to count. Hopefully being a J/F passenger allows me to get out of the plane asap at JFK and make my way past US immigration. That is interesting though.. having to do US immigration when I'll only be transiting for a few hours...

I guess the good news is I'll be able to use the CX First & Business lounge in YVR then
Why can't you book a YVR - HKG direct and then onwards to DXB?? This adds significantly amount of time. - edited: ok award routing.

CX does not have F lounge at YVR and I would not rate YVR as one of the best outstation lounges available tbh (worse than BKK/LHR/HND, of course better than FRA). The problem with 888 is it usually arrives before CBP opens in the morning, so you will be stuck in AC for a couple minutes. Even Y gets clear CBP early since it's right at the beginning of office hours.
However since you are taking 841 on F you can do Flagship dining at JFK - not sure how much time you'll have though. Showers will be available at both YVR and JFK (and of course HKG) lounges.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Sep 20, 2018 at 8:57 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Awesome- thanks so much to everyone above for the info!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Why can't you book a YVR - HKG direct and then onwards to DXB?? This adds significantly amount of time. - edited: ok award routing.

CX does not have F lounge at YVR and I would not rate YVR as one of the best outstation lounges available tbh (worse than BKK/LHR/HND, of course better than FRA). The problem with 888 is it usually arrives before CBP opens in the morning, so you will be stuck in AC for a couple minutes. Even Y gets clear CBP early since it's right at the beginning of office hours.
However since you are taking 841 on F you can do Flagship dining at JFK - not sure how much time you'll have though. Showers will be available at both YVR and JFK (and of course HKG) lounges.
I rejigged my flights so now I am arriving at JFK @ 7am and taking CXXX at 2:15pm - so hopefully I can do the AA's Flagship Dining. Had totally forgotten about that.

About what you said regarding YVR's lounges - I thought CX did have a F & J lounge in YVR as of ~2016?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:01 am

I rejigged my flights so now I am arriving at JFK @ 7am and taking CXXX at 2:15pm - so hopefully I can do the AA's Flagship Dining. Had totally forgotten about that.

About what you said regarding YVR's lounges - I thought CX did have a F & J lounge in YVR as of ~2016?
That is a J lounge(small, without a la carte). Outstation F lounge is uncommon, such as LHR F.

PS: Krug is on FD offering, don't forget to have it before noon!

Last edited by andersonCooper; Sep 22, 2018 at 5:15 am
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
CX888 leaves from YVR from the international gates. You will have access to the CX Lounge. No F at YVR. If taking CX888, you do not clear US Immigration at YVR but rather on arrival at JFK.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
CX used to have a separate F lounge area, but not anymore. I'm not sure when that happened.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You will not have FFD access as that is reserved for AA pax only. As a CX F pax, you will have FL access.

There is no such thing as transit in the US. You will enter the US at JFK along with passengers terminating at JFK or connecting onwards on domestic US flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.