Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Impact of HKG-China high speed rail on CX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of HKG-China high speed rail on CX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
They find the full Y one-way for comparison. Dare to use Discounted Y round trip??
FYI I actually travel to HuiDong quite a bit. The station is in middle of nowhere, taxi is non-existence, and on China train ticket website you can never buy a ticket on that route. So go back to drive for me again
Just checked the HKG-PEK route for instance, cheapest economy class ranged from HKD2,600 (far-out) to $4,200(this weekend) and $4,300 (tomorrow/last minute). Assuming the figures showed represented one-way, this essentially cut the air ticket price to $1,300, plus $110 Airport Express fares per way at $1,400ish, pretty much the same with train but way shorter travel time.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:45 am

Finally had a chance to take the HSR from Futian to Kowloon. A smooth ride of 16 minutes. Awesome!

Arriving Kowloon West wasn't great though. While centralized immigration is smooth, the taxi queue was around 120 people and the walk to other means of transportation (at Elements) is lengthy and tedious. It really feels like a shopping mall that happens to have a train station somewhere below.

My point with regards to CX is that for medium-haul destinations to Changsha and Wuhan, I would certainly consider this option - but only if I don't have luggage and/or kids to drag around.
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As I mentioned up thread, I rarely take trains any more on routes that also have reliable air service, but Imo the shear presence of the jinghu hsr noticeably forced the airlines to significantly up their game within the span of 6 months:
-dedicated check-in for "express" flights
-better airplanes
-concerted effort to operate close to on schedule, at the expense of their captive routes
-fares also dropped, but not by a huge margin

I'm not convinced KA will need to react in the same way though because PEK/SHA are simply out of the question for most rationale people, and they don't seem to have great difficulty filling up 320s on the shorter routes.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:50 am

I am looking at it purely from an ex-HKG perspective, flying almost exclusively on CX. I have had nothing but bad luck in and out of short/medium distance second tier cities to and from HKG. To a point where I need calculate an additional 2 hour delay into any business meetings / travel plans. This has been particularly true for CSX where I will certainly consider taking the train next time around. Other destinations where I've spent more time sitting on the plane on the ground rather than in the air include NKG and HGH, although I am not sure the train will help much.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
is there a practical and fast way to go from arriving at HKIA to china HSR?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
is there a practical and fast way to go from arriving at HKIA to china HSR?
AEX to Kowloon Stn plus a walk, but if you're already inside security at HKIA, and going to a city with air service, flying probably makes more sense.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
flying to nanning is hence a plausible solution
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:10 am

News reports over the past few days seem to have been heavily reporting on mainlanders taking the HSR to Hong Kong to catch a flight out. Maybe this would have an unintended boost to local airlines ...
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by kaka
flying to nanning is hence a plausible solution
I don't like gambling on the outbound because delays can sneak up at any time, but NNG-HKG is pretty good (in terms of time management) because there's no need to leave for the airport until the outbound is underway.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
I'll definitely be taking advantage of the HSR on short/medium haul trips to China moving forward. I find flying from HK to China to be a pain even on CX (particularly the delays), and given I mainly travel in Y the low miles/club points earnings on CX don't justify flying solely based on miles earning. I earn nearly all of my miles through card spend and long haul flying anyway.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned yet that tacking cities beyond HK onto CX tickets often greatly reduces the fare, even if you stay in HK for a few days.
Happy and kaka like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.