Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I was on AA193 arrived this morning at 07 22. Approach was surprisingly smooth into HKIA. Apparently the decision to land was made quite late with possible diversion to Tokyo.

Upon arrival we got put on a stand and told this was "due to congestion at the airport". Could not work that one out given there were so many empty gates.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:47 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Upon arrival we got put on a stand and told this was "due to congestion at the airport". Could not work that one out given there were so many empty gates.
Ground crews couldn't get in due to the quagmire that is HK roads and public transport this morn.
DragonSoul likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
I was on AA193 arrived this morning at 07 22. Approach was surprisingly smooth into HKIA. Apparently the decision to land was made quite late with possible diversion to Tokyo.

It's actually surprisingly quiet with airport status reports. The congestion suggests, there are major hick-ups and only part of the airport can be used. Be it a lack of staff (due to limited ground transportation) or maybe flooded terminal area's.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:58 pm

do you mean outer bay (remote stands)? Most likely the air bridges may be damaged or need reinspecting before being available for service.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Change was done easy at airport BKK, upgraded to bizness for free, they would not allow me to upgrade with miles. Now need the same luck on the long haul 880 flight HKG -LAX.
kaka likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by percysmith
Ground crews couldn't get in due to the quagmire that is HK roads and public transport this morn.
Makes sense, the airport road was fairly busy with people heading out to the airport, though there was a nasty accident on the road out.

Originally Posted by Cambo
It's actually surprisingly quiet with airport status reports. The congestion suggests, there are major hick-ups and only part of the airport can be used. Be it a lack of staff (due to limited ground transportation) or maybe flooded terminal area's.
It was the use of the word 'congestion', the announcer ought to have used something different like "owing to ground crew availability". Anyway handled okay, though the steps from the aircraft had been slightly damaged. The airport looked fine and it was great to see lots of 747s around, nostalgia!

Originally Posted by bhyq
do you mean outer bay (remote stands)? Most likely the air bridges may be damaged or need reinspecting before being available for service.
We parked at the stands opposite the 20s gates on the east side so pretty close to the terminal. Windy but nothing serious.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Flying out today, late morning view from wing F counter seating, saw CI, KL, KEx2 74 depart within a short time frame, (in daylight!) like the old days!
Nicc HK likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Audio
This is a regular feature when HK airport gets shutdown with #8 - #10 warning. The last one I heard the pilot experienced windshear on final approach and then made the decision to divert to TPE.

(Audio)
HK airport does not get closed down by a T8 warning.

According to my airport source (a reliable friend), some aircraft got minor damage, not many. Terminals got basically untouched with very minor damage.
My friend drove from airport last night (9pm) and workers had already started to clear the roads. Apparently people worked cleaning trees and inspecting railroad tracks even under T8.

BTW: a major risk to parked ac not mentioned above is the wheel gears. As the ac is rocked by the winds, there could be some damage. Hence the need for careful inspection of the "landing gear" before resuming service.

Last edited by brunos; Sep 17, 2018 at 1:15 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
OT - I wonder how HS-STC fared in the storm... didn’t think to check when taxiing past just now.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Turns out my original SIN-HKG flight CX714 flew after all. Can't post links but flightaware tells me it arrived in HK 37 minutes late at 5:57am this (Monday) morning. Wonder how many people were on it. I'm now checked into my flight on Wednesday.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
saw a few fallen *street lights* on the highway whilst taking AEx...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:55 am

How will you guys comment on how CX handle the typhoon Mangkhut?

Looks like they handled it quite well this time, cancelled all the flights during the typhoon landed in HK, instead of rushing the planes back to HK and got diverted to nearby cities, which caused even longer delay of the subsequent flights.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ctb213ctb213

Looks like they handled it quite well this time, cancelled all the flights during the typhoon landed in HK, instead of rushing the planes back to HK and got diverted to nearby cities, which caused even longer delay of the subsequent flights.
and that at the airport they did a lot of work proactively.

wish the phoneline works as well as the airport. (especially in rebooking (to HKG or divert away from HKG) at outports)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by ctb213ctb213

Better than the government.
percysmith and royng like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
My original flight CX908 actually left on time this morning...and looks like it just landed in HKG....kinda annoyed that CX got overly cautious and sent me to PR tomorrow (flights for today was full...then got cancelled) when they could have flown me to HKG this morning.

Now the problem is my Travel Insurance refused my claim for the lost hotel night in shanghai and my pre-paid tour because CX didn't cancel the flight I was originally booked in. That like $500 down the drain not to mention a forfeited Fairmont Suite Upgrade certificate (not sure how to value that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.