Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
Just curious, what do CX/KA do for their aircrafts still at HKG? Suppose most of them won’t get into the hangar? Do they just turn the aircrafts around to an angle less impacted by wind/gust?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:51 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ellice

just responding to an idiotic piece of *advice* posted on this thread. Your strategy is also fraught with issues as well if the second flight you suggest booking does not get away either.
so you called out a piece of advice being idiotic and throw it against a conditional case and complain when you decide to stay put.

so many people got to avoid hkg
so many people got to fly out early.
what are you complaining about
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:00 am

just responding to an idiotic piece of *advice* posted on this thread. Your strategy is also fraught with issues as well if the second flight you suggest booking does not get away either.
sorry to see that u didn’t get a flight but living in hk for many years now I would say that piece of ‘idiotic’ advice is what exactly I would do.

I wasn’t affected by this typhoon but I have done that a few times and successfully get myself out of hk before typhoon arrives.

It might not always work for everyone every time and there are many other factor involved, despite this I would say it is indeed a reasonable advice.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
CX long haul flights starting their way back to HKG

Flight CX845 from New York to Hong Kong https://fr24.com/CPA845/1de1f988

I'm monitoring CX865 for a friend
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by iansh
Just curious, what do CX/KA do for their aircrafts still at HKG? Suppose most of them won’t get into the hangar? Do they just turn the aircrafts around to an angle less impacted by wind/gust?
When a typhoon passes, the winds keep changing direction, so no way to keep adapting the angle. For example Mangkhut went from North to South-East
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
4pm local time. winds already eased it feels. observatory say signal ten will go down.within few hours
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CXfanatic
My dad's friend's flight from CCU-HKG and HKG-SFO on CX has been canceled for this reason. They've decided to re-route him and put him on EK, so he'll end up reaching 2.5 hours later than CX870 (at 2PM instead).
Originally Posted by simonjp
Just got an update for HKG -> LHR :: CX237 & CX255 in small hours Monday 17th are moved to after 1000, so a delay of about 10 hours. The 3 daytime flights on Sunday are cancelled, naturally.
Edit, FYI: Looking at the seat load for CX237, quite a lot of empty seats - it's not filled up at the moment for accommodating the other three from Sunday.
Originally Posted by jframpto
CX policy as per website is being followed pretty carefully by call centre staff, I've had people moved to avoid 16-18, 1 pax accepted downgrade from Bus to Prem Econ to avoid these dates, please bear in mind that if you leave it to chance and your flts are cancelled then you prob won't get FOC accomm at your disruption airport, and you will have to wait until new flts are avail of course .....
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Traveling to PVG tomorrow (15th), CX proactively sent and email informing me that they will protect me on a partner airline....they when I checked my app...it looks like they confirmed me on a MNL-PVG direct flight on MU for SUNDAY the 16th.

I had to call back and have them reinstate my CX flight because there is no way I'm flying MU.
I had the Manila office to reinstate my Sept 15 booking but it was taken out by HK and the MU was reinstated again. I decided to call the hotline after 20 minutes I finally got to speak with someone and they offered me PR on Sunday, on the refitted 330 with new Business Class seats (same with QF)...will make the most out of it and compare CX and PR on this trip. hehehehe

I called CX again because my flight on the 17th leaves PVG at 8:40am and I was hoping to get on an earlier flight...unfortunately they can't offer me anything other than flights on the 18th or 19th. The agent told me that HK will be most affected between 16 and 17th.
I'm on CX908 departing MNL at 6am connecting to PVG on KA804... there shouldn't be any problems since the typhoon should be on the eastern side of Luzon. I spoke my contacts at the airport and they said currently CX908 will still depart on time (depending on tonight's departure of CX913).

This morning I called the MNL office to sort it out, the only viable resolution I have was to ask them to reinstate my booking original booking, but when I logged in after lunch I saw that the protection team must have taken it out and put me again on the 16th on MU.
Managed to get on PR instead, I think its a better alternative to MU. Plus PR will be using their tri-class 330 so I get to check out their new seats.
My original flight CX908 actually left on time this morning...and looks like it just landed in HKG....kinda annoyed that CX got overly cautious and sent me to PR tomorrow (flights for today was full...then got cancelled) when they could have flown me to HKG this morning.
Originally Posted by bhyq

i hate to say I told you so but....

24 hours notice isn’t bad but still isn’t good enough really. I think they should have offered proactive rebooking as soon as the observatory drew that line towards HK. Allowing flexible people to change and lighten the load on the call centre staff who will predictably now have to handle thousands of passengers rebooking and the hours of holding to achieve this - a lose lose situation for all.

No system is perfect but I still think this could be improved.
Originally Posted by tentseller
For those who have access:
The HK Observatory map shows that Mangkhut made a turn in a more northerly direction leaving Luzon.
So the projected path will take it closer to HK.

At today's dim sum social (blowing water) brunch, a retired Uncle from the Observatory commented that this should be a T11.
This is the worse incoming since data is kept starting from 1946, the year he was born.

Everyone take care. If you need to leave take kaka's valuable advice.
I know two people got to HKIA and were able to fly out this afternoon for their "must be at" meetings.
Originally Posted by spgaston
Got on CX879 in SFO on Friday thinking my Sat evening connection in HKG would be ok. Arrived here to find out they cancelled Sat eve flight to HYD even though weather is fine. I'm so pissed. They should have cancelled before I got on the plane in SFO.
No other flights to India available tonight.
I have a BP for Sunday the 16th, with handwritten Monday the 17th on it. I am protected on another flight on the 19th.
CX put me up in a hotel far from airport for two nights with paid taxi and meals (Paid J ticket). Guess I will be riding out the storm in Hong Kong.
I have just recieved notification from CX that my 9.10am Sunday 16/9 flight to CDG has been rescheduled to FRIDAY 21/9. Midnight flight. Some SIX days from now. Has anyone got advice how to get this moved forwards? Ringing CX call centre just getting out on holding pattern.

Btw the advice people were putting out in this thread to go out to the airport yesterday and try and get on a flight was EXTREMELY unhelpful. There were NO available flights on Cx yesterday and the Hong Kong hotel rates are going through the roof. So to give up your hotel reservation to do that could have caused you to have incurred thousands of $$$ rebooking a hotel again after having gone out to the airport. VERY BAD ADVICE FROM SOMEONE PROBABLY NOT EVEN ANYWHERE NEAR HONG KONG.
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I was one of those people giving such advice.

I was at the airport as I typed it. I had just gotten me and two traveling companions moved from our KA flight on Sunday (cancelled) to Saturday (yesterday, day at airport), and we departed a few hours later.

The line I typed is nearly a verbatim quote given to me by the ground staff checking us in.

A fellow behind us in line, with a flight to Xiamen on Sunday, did the identical thing we did.

CX and KA had indeed zeroed out sales to accommodate people who wanted to switch. Of course, if the flight was already full, there is nothing that can be done. They are not going to force pax off.

I'm not sure where you were going, but a client of mine scheduled to fly to SFO on Sunday, showed up at the airport and managed to get on a flight yesterday to LAX.

Those are the only anecdotes I know for now. I'm sure others weren't successful too.

Sorry to hear you didn't catch your flight.
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
CX601 HKG-MLE Sep 16 - 2x pax in I class already protected (with partner involved). Thank you 3888 for continuing to be 0-min wait and flexible (although not for higher fare bucket).

My 2nd IRROPS in my 16-month history with MPO, better handling this time!
Originally Posted by brunos
But several pax who were desperately trying to get out of HK without a reservation for Saturday did get accomodated on departing flights.
im using mobile so i hope i copied the right quotes just to show had one gotten to the airport, one would be able to sort out the cx issues, either to get out, or avoid hkg

i booked a flight yesterday and missed it because of visa issues. i was put on hkgkhh instead against fare rules. like someone who went to lax, cx helped others to fly out on non-full flights.

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Eight hours before my outbound, received text that my return flight (CX565 from TPE to HKG) on 17th evening has been cancelled. Hoping they cancelled so far in advance because they need that A350 to fly long haul and not because they expect massive disruptions into Monday. I have a can't miss meeting on the 18th. Do I even bother flying in the morning? Am I now behind all the pax on the cancelled Sunday (16th) flights in terms of priority for rebooking?
Originally Posted by frisbfreek
It's interesting that (so far) more TPE-HKG flights on the 17th are canceled than on the 16th.
not really (now)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:37 am

Nope, just full tanks of gas to weigh them down, and parked in the most sheltered parts around the terminal/apron.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Can't speak specifically for CX but broadly there are four recognised risks
1/ Flying debris strikes the aircraft causing damage
2/ The aircraft weather-cocks turning into the wind direction and hitting something
3/ The aircraft lifts off and blows away
4/ The airfield floods and swamps the aircraft.

The defences against these are some or all of: If you can get the aircraft away then do, if not go indoors if not then: Fill it up with fuel and / or ballast to weight it down, point into strongest wind direction (noted issue when the wind shifts), move well away from terminal buildings and other aircraft so if it does weathercock it won't hit anything. Tidy up the ramp area to reduce flying debris.

For slightly smaller aircraft (think 30 seats) caught at a remote airfield I've even seen sandbags placed all along the leading edge of the wing to disrupt the airflow and stop the wing generating lift and a pair of fire trucks (full of water) parked upwind as a windbreak.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker
Can't speak specifically for CX but broadly there are four recognised risks
1/ Flying debris strikes the aircraft causing damage
2/ The aircraft weather-cocks turning into the wind direction and hitting something
3/ The aircraft lifts off and blows away
4/ The airfield floods and swamps the aircraft.

The defences against these are some or all of: If you can get the aircraft away then do, if not go indoors if not then: Fill it up with fuel and / or ballast to weight it down, point into strongest wind direction (noted issue when the wind shifts), move well away from terminal buildings and other aircraft so if it does weathercock it won't hit anything. Tidy up the ramp area to reduce flying debris.

For slightly smaller aircraft (think 30 seats) caught at a remote airfield I've even seen sandbags placed all along the leading edge of the wing to disrupt the airflow and stop the wing generating lift and a pair of fire trucks (full of water) parked upwind as a windbreak.
Interesting that HX/UO has evacuated all the planes from HKG. I thought CX/KA would have done something similar.

There is a photo online showing a CX plane with a damaged nose wheel - yet disclaimer - I CANNOT confirm whether it is real or fake:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Link comes up as unavailable ?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
There was a long line of cathay planes parked at Taipei this evening when I landed.

sadly for cathay putting me on EVA just proved again how far cathay service has gone. On my outbound hkg-ord I got the new business class service, while ok there was nothing great about it and it was painfully slow. Food, drinks and service was much better on Eva. Not even close. Seat is basically same though I do prefer cathays version but it’s splitting hairs.

decided to use Eva on my next trip to usa in November based on this experience.
kaka and royng like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
There was a long line of cathay planes parked at Taipei this evening when I landed.

sadly for cathay putting me on EVA just proved again how far cathay service has gone. On my outbound hkg-ord I got the new business class service, while ok there was nothing great about it and it was painfully slow. Food, drinks and service was much better on Eva. Not even close. Seat is basically same though I do prefer cathays version but it’s splitting hairs.

decided to use Eva on my next trip to usa in November based on this experience.
Unintended consequences
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos
Since you use capital letters, let me say that the advice given by experienced HK flyers was a good one and your remark proves that you did not go to the airport.
Initially, the advice from kaka was for pax with confirmed seats departing Saturday evening. And the flights did depart except for a few cancelled 24 hours before. There was a risk of public transport closing early (it did not)

But several pax who were desperately trying to get out of HK without a reservation for Saturday did get accomodated on departing flights.
technically speaking i said cfmed flight up till monday midday
Originally Posted by kaka
for everyone who is flying exHKG between the current time and monday midday, get ur bum to hkia before the end of day for any chance to get the hell out of HKG. the earlier the merrier.
but otherwise, thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
BKK-HKG-LAX cancelled for 16th, got amex to call CX west coast service center 6 a.m. and they found a CX flight out on 17th 1600 bkk-hkg then 0030 on 18th CX 880 HKG-LAX that arrives back in LAX night of 17th. Not great seats PE and they could not would not change on phone but got them to change first flight to good PE seats, hopefully will do so for 880 leg at airport tomorrow.

These tickets were in E class so not upgradable with miles and CX BKK airport agent would not budge this rule and let me upgrade. Anyone with experience of them bending this rule? Also since I paid a change fee a few weeks ago to change to the 16th and now this change was not honored am I entitled to $100 change fee refund? What about $39 Amex booking of the change?

Since no cancelation protection reiubursement from using amex platinum card do most international travelers use Chase card to book?

Anything else it might help me to know? Thanks for any and all help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.