Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by Ellice
I have just recieved notification from CX that my 9.10am Sunday 16/9 flight to CDG has been rescheduled to FRIDAY 21/9. Midnight flight. Some SIX days from now. Has anyone got advice how to get this moved forwards? Ringing CX call centre just getting out on holding pattern.

Btw the advice people were putting out in this thread to go out to the airport yesterday and try and get on a flight was EXTREMELY unhelpful. There were NO available flights on Cx yesterday and the Hong Kong hotel rates are going through the roof. So to give up your hotel reservation to do that could have caused you to have incurred thousands of $$$ rebooking a hotel again after having gone out to the airport. VERY BAD ADVICE FROM SOMEONE PROBABLY NOT EVEN ANYWHERE NEAR HONG KONG.
why would u do that? going to airport is last thing u shoukd do in irrops. they dont care about you and your best shot is using online websitr to rebook...

in my case i just boik whatever flight i can and claim insurance after

you better leave airport before signal raise to 9 or 10 at which point even train cease operation
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by fakecd
why would u do that? going to airport is last thing u shoukd do in irrops. they dont care about you and your best shot is using online websitr to rebook...

in my case i just boik whatever flight i can and claim insurance after

you better leave airport before signal raise to 9 or 10 at which point even train cease operation
just responding to an idiotic piece of *advice* posted on this thread. Your strategy is also fraught with issues as well if the second flight you suggest booking does not get away either.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
My original flight CX908 actually left on time this morning...and looks like it just landed in HKG....kinda annoyed that CX got overly cautious and sent me to PR tomorrow (flights for today was full...then got cancelled) when they could have flown me to HKG this morning.
Off to MNL T2 to catch my flight to PVG on PR. Still a bit disappointed that both the CX and KA flight left on time yesterday and I could have been in Shanghai since yesterday. Now I have to deal with the one night cancelation at the hotel and a forfeited food tour, which apparently my insurance refuses to cover as my original flights based on my itinerary did fly as schedule.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:23 pm

just responding to an idiotic piece of *advice* posted on this thread. Your strategy is also fraught with issues as well if the second flight you suggest booking does not get away either.
that poster got rebooked to Friday. i am saying buy for flight that depart before friday
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Off to MNL T2 to catch my flight to PVG on PR. Still a bit disappointed that both the CX and KA flight left on time yesterday and I could have been in Shanghai since yesterday. Now I have to deal with the one night cancelation at the hotel and a forfeited food tour, which apparently my insurance refuses to cover as my original flights based on my itinerary did fly as schedule.
you have grounds to argue. cuz it was CX who rebooked you and thus "cancelled" ur travel irrespective of if original flight flown.

i had argued similar case and got my claim settled.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA
Currently on Cheung Chau in Hong Kong. Signal 8 for about 6 hours. It may go up. My scheduled flight out is Thursday on United. It just went up to signal 9.

Last edited by KChar; Sep 15, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

Btw the advice people were putting out in this thread to go out to the airport yesterday and try and get on a flight was EXTREMELY unhelpful. There were NO available flights on Cx yesterday and the Hong Kong hotel rates are going through the roof. So to give up your hotel reservation to do that could have caused you to have incurred thousands of $$$ rebooking a hotel again after having gone out to the airport. VERY BAD ADVICE FROM SOMEONE PROBABLY NOT EVEN ANYWHERE NEAR HONG KONG.
I was one of those people giving such advice.

I was at the airport as I typed it. I had just gotten me and two traveling companions moved from our KA flight on Sunday (cancelled) to Saturday (yesterday, day at airport), and we departed a few hours later.

The line I typed is nearly a verbatim quote given to me by the ground staff checking us in.

A fellow behind us in line, with a flight to Xiamen on Sunday, did the identical thing we did.

CX and KA had indeed zeroed out sales to accommodate people who wanted to switch. Of course, if the flight was already full, there is nothing that can be done. They are not going to force pax off.

I'm not sure where you were going, but a client of mine scheduled to fly to SFO on Sunday, showed up at the airport and managed to get on a flight yesterday to LAX.

Those are the only anecdotes I know for now. I'm sure others weren't successful too.

Sorry to hear you didn't catch your flight.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:48 pm

those new to town

signal 9 now. so no airport express train or Tung Chung metro line to airport. if you are at airport you are stuck. i doubt much taxi services either... i think bus has stopped
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by fakecd
those new to town

signal 9 now. so no airport express train or Tung Chung metro line to airport. if you are at airport you are stuck. i doubt much taxi services either... i think bus has stopped
Bus has shut down.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA
It just went up to signal 10.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have just recieved notification from CX that my 9.10am Sunday 16/9 flight to CDG has been rescheduled to FRIDAY 21/9. Midnight flight. Some SIX days from now. Has anyone got advice how to get this moved forwards? Ringing CX call centre just getting out on holding pattern.

Advise still remain - best to have this dealt with at the airport as many of the last flights out are under airport control.
I know of more than 20 CX flyers who went to the airport and was able to leave the evening of Sept 15. There were many pax rebooked to Sept 15 who no-showed. Any available seats were given to stand-bys physically at the airport and will hop onto the flight.

I know for a fact that many who gave advise are HK residents and frequent flyers out of CLK.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Since you use capital letters, let me say that the advice given by experienced HK flyers was a good one and your remark proves that you did not go to the airport.
Initially, the advice from kaka was for pax with confirmed seats departing Saturday evening. And the flights did depart except for a few cancelled 24 hours before. There was a risk of public transport closing early (it did not)

But several pax who were desperately trying to get out of HK without a reservation for Saturday did get accomodated on departing flights.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cambo
That's a good one, and immediately a challenge to predict this for flights leaving 15+ hours away.

How did HKG did with past typhoons ?
thats a good one indeed to compare this one to the typhoons last 50ish years
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

While it feels utterly counter-intuative to go to the airport many airlines give their airport staff more options to resolve customer Irrops than are given to call centres. I know this is very much the case for British Airways and from the advice on here it seems the same for CX. Of course you have to balance this with leaving a place of comfort to potentially end up on an airport floor for the night.
Ellice likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:36 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
News says MFM, ZUH, SZX and CAN also fully shut down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.