Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by bhyq

this annoys me greatly. Clearly the flights will not operate on Sunday - doesn't take a genius to work that out. Yet they will wait until the last possible second to cancel and then switch to panic mode as the advisory causes hundreds if not thousands of passengers flood the hotlines to change their flights all at once. What happened to being PROACTIVE and customer centric, not to mention saving themselves a lot of hassle. Alas they'll never learn.
i hate to say I told you so but....

24 hours notice isn’t bad but still isn’t good enough really. I think they should have offered proactive rebooking as soon as the observatory drew that line towards HK. Allowing flexible people to change and lighten the load on the call centre staff who will predictably now have to handle thousands of passengers rebooking and the hours of holding to achieve this - a lose lose situation for all.

No system is perfect but I still think this could be improved.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brokenspirit
If it was me I'd probably get on to their support twitter (as suggested in the cancellation email i received). I can imagine their phone lines will be maxed out with the number of cancellations
you need to cancel your check in online then call Ctrip to rebook. They are good about this stuff.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:06 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bhyq

i hate to say I told you so but....

24 hours notice isn’t bad but still isn’t good enough really. I think they should have offered proactive rebooking as soon as the observatory drew that line towards HK. Allowing flexible people to change and lighten the load on the call centre staff who will predictably now have to handle thousands of passengers rebooking and the hours of holding to achieve this - a lose lose situation for all.

No system is perfect but I still think this could be improved.
i have no stakes re flights in this typhoon- but i thought cx was offering changes for this weekend since tuesday/wednesday?!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker
Be aware there is a fair chance HKG will get walloped on Sunday by Typhoon Mangkhut (possible super-typhoon by then). Cathay have started warning customers about disruption and there is a waiver of fees for flights booked for 16 or 17 Sept.

This is update 1 and the situation is likely to change over the next few days. Cathay Website update 1
My dad's friend's flight from CCU-HKG and HKG-SFO on CX has been canceled for this reason. They've decided to re-route him and put him on EK, so he'll end up reaching 2.5 hours later than CX870 (at 2PM instead).
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For those who have access:
The HK Observatory map shows that Mangkhut made a turn in a more northerly direction leaving Luzon.
So the projected path will take it closer to HK.

At today's dim sum social (blowing water) brunch, a retired Uncle from the Observatory commented that this should be a T11.
This is the worse incoming since data is kept starting from 1946, the year he was born.

Everyone take care. If you need to leave take kaka's valuable advice.
I know two people got to HKIA and were able to fly out this afternoon for their "must be at" meetings.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:40 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
2 people at hkia can pm me for oneworld lounge...... if they give me a bp (or the first party of 2)
tentseller likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
TVB News just broadcasted that all CX flights after 0230h Sept 16 cancelled.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
TVB News just broadcasted that all CX flights after 0230h Sept 16 cancelled.
This was already posted above in the morning.

BTW, I like the website www.windy.com
I do't know how accurate are their models. But the new update (Saturday 19:00) puts Mangkhut VERY close to HK Sunday afternoon. Much worse than initially expected.
Then forecast improves a bit (Saturday at 21:00).
Too early to tell.

Last edited by brunos; Sep 15, 2018 at 6:56 am
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Got on CX879 in SFO on Friday thinking my Sat evening connection in HKG would be ok. Arrived here to find out they cancelled Sat eve flight to HYD even though weather is fine. I'm so pissed. They should have cancelled before I got on the plane in SFO.
No other flights to India available tonight.
I have a BP for Sunday the 16th, with handwritten Monday the 17th on it. I am protected on another flight on the 19th.
CX put me up in a hotel far from airport for two nights with paid taxi and meals (Paid J ticket). Guess I will be riding out the storm in Hong Kong.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
If you can decode METARS/TAFS somewhat, you may be interested to follow this to:

https://aviationweather.gov/adds/met...bmitmet=Submit

It's the aviation way to tell about the weather situation at HKG.

METAR: Current weather.

VHHH 151230Z 04011KT 9999 FEW030 34/21 Q1000 NOSIG

VHHH: Airport identifier
15: Date
1230Z: publish time, 12:30 UK winter time, corresponds with 20:30 HKG local time
04011KT: Wind COMING from direction 040, with strength 11kts (represents around 20 km/h)
9999: Horizontal visibility, this figure representing 10+ km
FEW030: Some clouds at 3000 ft altitude above ground
34/21: Temperature 34 degrees, dew point 21 degrees, all Celsius.
Q1000: The barometric pressure, already a bit low, normally 1013, will probably go down significantly during the typhoon, think about 900 or so.
NOSIG: Unbelievable, though it says, no significant weather (related to aviation) in short time (everything after the Q1000 is the 2 hours expectancy).

And at the bottom, the TAF, the EXPECTED weather, published 1100Z (1900 HKG time):

TAF VHHH 151100Z 1512/1618 03022KT 9000 FEW025 SCT045 TX33/1606Z TN26/1522Z
TEMPO 1512/1522 04035G50KT 2500 SHRA FEW010CB SCT020
BECMG 1520/1522 04040KT
TEMPO 1522/1604 08050G65KT 1500 +SHRA FEW008 SCT015CB BKN040
BECMG 1604/1606 10045KT
TEMPO 1604/1612 12055G70KT 1500 +SHRA FEW008 SCT015CB BKN040
TEMPO 1612/1618 14045G55KT 2500 SHRA FEW010CB SCT020

TEMPO signals temporary
BECMG: Changes to
15: Date
12/22: period in UK local time, add 8 hours for HKG.
040: Wind coming from.
35G50KT: 35kts steady with gusting to 50 kts.
2500: Visibility in meters (low due to heavy rain).
SHRA: Rain showers (with a +: heavy)
CB: Cumulonimbus, ie. towering rain clouds, don't fly in there, it will destroy your airplane.

The METAR can be up to 30+ minutes old. On final approach, the tower gives an update, from the past 10 minutes.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by spgaston
... Guess I will be riding out the storm in Hong Kong.
I guess, that's going to be an unforgettable experience
tentseller and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Got on CX879 in SFO on Friday thinking my Sat evening connection in HKG would be ok. Arrived here to find out they cancelled Sat eve flight to HYD even though weather is fine. I'm so pissed. They should have cancelled before I got on the plane in SFO.
I have a BP for Sunday the 16th, with handwritten Monday the 17th on it. I am protected on another flight on the 19th.
CX put me up in a hotel far from airport for two nights with paid taxi and meals (Paid J ticket). Guess I will be riding out the storm in Hong Kong.
i dont see how its their problem. u chose to take chance and backfired. its not just weather, but whole aircraft positioning, crew availability and other factor are in play. you so well know this huge storm coming, well advertised ahead of fact that disruption for entire weekend was possible... so tough luck.

as a long time local even i feel worried about this one. you choose to spend it here. be prepared.and i doubt u get on 17th either, even if u did expect tarmac delays of multiple hours
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by fakecd
i dont see how its their problem. u chose to take chance and backfired. its not just weather, but whole aircraft positioning, crew availability and other factor are in play. you so well know this huge storm coming, well advertised ahead of fact that disruption for entire weekend was possible... so tough luck.

as a long time local even i feel worried about this one. you choose to spend it here. be prepared.and i doubt u get on 17th either, even if u did expect tarmac delays of multiple hours
I agree with you.
Except that Monday should be quite OK weather-wise for flying. And CX has worked hard to position its fleet (thereby cancelling tonight's flight to HYD because they could not get the ac back on Sunday).,
The problem is that CX does not fly to HYD on Mondays and Tuesdays, so the 19th is their next flight. But they should try to get the OP there on another airline (with transfer somewhere)
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Looks like not a typhoon related cancellation. Maybe it is if Indian authorities won't let them park at their airport for extra hours. But CX wouldn't want to leave any plane in HKG.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by kaka
...... if hkg hasn’t turned into kix.......
That's a good one, and immediately a challenge to predict this for flights leaving 15+ hours away.

How did HKG did with past typhoons ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.