Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG
When will CX begin cancelling flights? Seems like they are not doing so proactively?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by spgaston
When will CX begin cancelling flights? Seems like they are not doing so proactively?
HX has just released the details which flights are going to be cancelled - inbound flights after noon are cancelled while some flight still depart from HKG. Seems like HX is trying to place all their planes out of HKG until the weather becomes calm if possible.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed, typhoon track is now forecasted a bit further North impacting HK more severely.....
Looks to be a full hit on HKG:

https://www.windy.com/?400h,2018-09-....563,114.170,6

Roughly 100G140 kts, not something you want to experience outside or in something tuned to for lightweight & movable.

Looking at the distance between the nucleus and the highest winds north of the nucleus, you can see, the wind gradient goes over around roughly 75 miles, which is extreme and as such creates extreme winds.

Compared to the current USA excitement, "a little more", so to say. The USA one is more about the amount of rain coming down, for which the USA is not prepared. Americans prefer to save money on prevention and just pay for the damage and inconvenience, despite knowing they will get hit by heavy weather every year. Spent the damage money on prevention and it pays off, so to say. Let alone the evacuation inconvenience.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:50 am

Eight hours before my outbound, received text that my return flight (CX565 from TPE to HKG) on 17th evening has been cancelled. Hoping they cancelled so far in advance because they need that A350 to fly long haul and not because they expect massive disruptions into Monday. I have a can't miss meeting on the 18th. Do I even bother flying in the morning? Am I now behind all the pax on the cancelled Sunday (16th) flights in terms of priority for rebooking?

Last edited by fallinasleep; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by AviationAddict
HX has just released the details which flights are going to be cancelled - inbound flights after noon are cancelled while some flight still depart from HKG. Seems like HX is trying to place all their planes out of HKG until the weather becomes calm if possible.
do you have a link for this? my flight from DAD which is scheduled to arrive at 12.45 on Sunday is still showing as confirmed for me to check in, and I have had no email or text to say otherwise
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM
My flights from MAN to HKG departing the 15th and arriving the 16th at 6:55am with a connecting flight to NRT that departs at 9:05am are both showing confirmed. I wonder when I'll hear anything about the flights... No contact so far.

Last edited by rockettyo; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:02 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Eight hours before my outbound, received text that my return flight (CX565 from TPE to HKG) on 17th evening has been cancelled. Hoping they cancelled so far in advance because they need that A350 to fly long haul and not because they expect massive disruptions into Monday. I have a can't miss meeting on the 18th. Do I even bother flying in the morning? Am I now behind all the pax on the cancelled Sunday (16th) flights in terms of priority for rebooking?
Better stay at home (If HKG is your home). You would be around, in case your domicile hits damage.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM
mistake

Last edited by rockettyo; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:05 am Reason: mistake
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by brokenspirit
do you have a link for this? my flight from DAD which is scheduled to arrive at 12.45 on Sunday is still showing as confirmed for me to check in, and I have had no email or text to say otherwise
I suppose you are flying KA? They haven't uploaded/shared the list of cancelled flights, only Hong Kong Airlines has published the list of their cancelled flights.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by AviationAddict
I suppose you are flying KA? They haven't uploaded/shared the list of cancelled flights, only Hong Kong Airlines has published the list of their cancelled flights.
yes - i had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that as it is booked through Cathay I would have heard something from Cathay, as I received the check in email from them yesterday
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: LH SEN; CX DM; DL PM; Hyatt GL
Originally Posted by QRC3288
You're completely missing the typhoon, not sure what your concern is. The airport doesn't shut down 2 days prior...
not sure how flying into Manila tomorrow will be missing the typhoon.... bad weather extends beyond the centre of the storm, you know.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
It's interesting that (so far) more TPE-HKG flights on the 17th are canceled than on the 16th.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Props to Cathay, hold time was long but when got thru was moved from LAX-HKG-TPE to LAX-TPE direct on Eva without pushing / asking. I guess since this is flyertalk, how do I get miles for the original routing?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
im told cx is flying all plane out of hong kong later today (saturday). so its safe to assume its safe to fly out of hkg on saturday, most flights cancelled (if not all) on sunday, and inbound runs as usual once the storm has passed on monday if hkg hasn’t turned into kix.

I have a can't miss meeting on the 18th. Do I even bother flying in the morning? Am I now behind all the pax on the cancelled Sunday (16th) flights in terms of priority for rebooking?
i think once ur flight is cancelled, you are relocated according to priority. so long as hkia runs you should be fairly high up. also, id assume cx would send a few of the empty planes to tpe for refuge and run them back w pax after the storm has passed- but that may take some time.

but do account for the off-chance hkg turns into kix for whether or not you should go to tpe.

Last edited by kaka; Sep 14, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:38 pm

I am flying ord/hkg/cgk. We leave ord mon. sept. 17 and schedule to arrive HKG at 20:00 on Tuesday Sept. 18. I am not familiar with how cx and hkg handle bad weather. Can anyone venture a guess at this point if I have a problem?
Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.