Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I had the Manila office to reinstate my Sept 15 booking but it was taken out by HK and the MU was reinstated again. I decided to call the hotline after 20 minutes I finally got to speak with someone and they offered me PR on Sunday, on the refitted 330 with new Business Class seats (same with QF)...will make the most out of it and compare CX and PR on this trip. hehehehe

I called CX again because my flight on the 17th leaves PVG at 8:40am and I was hoping to get on an earlier flight...unfortunately they can't offer me anything other than flights on the 18th or 19th. The agent told me that HK will be most affected between 16 and 17th.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Sep 14, 2018 at 1:31 am
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Yikes?! So they cancelled your flight on the 15th? Can you elaborate? I have a daytime flight tomorrow as well and figured no problem getting out.
I'm on CX908 departing MNL at 6am connecting to PVG on KA804... there shouldn't be any problems since the typhoon should be on the eastern side of Luzon. I spoke my contacts at the airport and they said currently CX908 will still depart on time (depending on tonight's departure of CX913).

This morning I called the MNL office to sort it out, the only viable resolution I have was to ask them to reinstate my booking original booking, but when I logged in after lunch I saw that the protection team must have taken it out and put me again on the 16th on MU.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by frisbfreek
I'm on a JFK-HKG flight departing 9/18 and landing 9/19... does "arriving to and departing from Hong Kong between 16 September and 18 September 2018" mean that change fees will or won't be waived for my flight? I would prefer to keep the flight if it's going to fly, but I want to know my options.
Depends on the outbound aircraft into JFK makes it on time or not - the typhoon will be long gone by then but if there's no outbound, there's no inbound.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I'm on CX908 departing MNL at 6am connecting to PVG on KA804... there shouldn't be any problems since the typhoon should be on the eastern side of Luzon. I spoke my contacts at the airport and they said currently CX908 will still depart on time (depending on tonight's departure of CX913).

This morning I called the MNL office to sort it out, the only viable resolution I have was to ask them to reinstate my booking original booking, but when I logged in after lunch I saw that the protection team must have taken it out and put me again on the 16th on MU.
I can imagine, CX wants to have HKG airport as empty is possible, to avoid overcrowding, passenger support. Suppose, they get on top of the typhoon some limited capacity on Sept 15, due to high Xwinds, rain and bad visibility, as well as passengers missing due to chaos, with luggage offloading, etc. Then things start to crop up.

With CX aircraft at HKG airport during a serious typhoon, with all damage resulting of that, they not want that. Do you remember last year Cuba, Puerto Rico and even US mainland, airlines moving their aircraft to safer locations during the typhoon ?

So, I certainly understand CX protection teams' actions overriding your persistent DM privs to avoid you turn angry, when things do go indeed haywire.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cambo
With CX aircraft at HKG airport during a serious typhoon, with all damage resulting of that, they not want that. Do you remember last year Cuba, Puerto Rico and even US mainland, airlines moving their aircraft to safer locations during the typhoon ?
Safest place during a typhoon may indeed be in the air
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by triplefives
Safest place during a typhoon may indeed be in the air
I do hope outside the typhoon area ? The nucleus is also nice and quiet, though there will be a moment you run out of fuel and have to fly through the extreme, to find a location to land. Forget to out climb a tropical weather phenomenon.......
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:53 am

Scary and destructive, but a marvel of nature.

Photo: Severe Weather Europe
NetJets Germany and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
CX travel advisory on their website is now less frightening.
"We are expecting severe disruptions to our scheduled flight operations, including major delays and cancellations, between the hours of 12 p.m. (noon) and 7 p.m. on Sunday, 16 September."

Updated at 20:00: From airport sources, the Mangkhut route forecast just got worse again.
QRC3288, G-CIVC and HaikalS like this.

Last edited by brunos; Sep 14, 2018 at 6:36 am
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Cambo
I can imagine, CX wants to have HKG airport as empty is possible, to avoid overcrowding, passenger support. Suppose, they get on top of the typhoon some limited capacity on Sept 15, due to high Xwinds, rain and bad visibility, as well as passengers missing due to chaos, with luggage offloading, etc. Then things start to crop up.

So, I certainly understand CX protection teams' actions overriding your persistent DM privs to avoid you turn angry, when things do go indeed haywire.
Managed to get on PR instead, I think its a better alternative to MU. Plus PR will be using their tri-class 330 so I get to check out their new seats.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
CX601 HKG-MLE Sep 16 - 2x pax in I class already protected (with partner involved). Thank you 3888 for continuing to be 0-min wait and flexible (although not for higher fare bucket).

My 2nd IRROPS in my 16-month history with MPO, better handling this time!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by QRC3288
My suspicion on the 15th is they've closed out sales to accommodate the flood of passengers switching. Weather on 15th, except perhaps late in the evening is not forecast to be a problem at all.
16th is the ugly day.
Yeah. I'm trying to book MNL-PVG for 19th and even that's closed out!!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Traveling to PVG tomorrow (15th), CX proactively sent and email informing me that they will protect me on a partner airline....they when I checked my app...it looks like they confirmed me on a MNL-PVG direct flight on MU for SUNDAY the 16th.
It’s assuring and a relief that CX does protect on other airlines!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Deleted

Last edited by bagold; Sep 14, 2018 at 9:59 am Reason: Not 100% sure of source
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Indeed, typhoon track is now forecasted a bit further North impacting HK more severely.
Most European airlines have cancelled their flights departing Europe Saturday and landing Sunday (BA, VS, AF, KL, LH..).

And it seems now extremely likely that transport to/from airport will be near impossible on Sunday.
More accurate info will be known once it hits land in Luzon.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by brunos
Most European airlines have cancelled their flights departing Europe Saturday and landing Sunday (BA, VS, AF, KL, LH..).
Along with AA from the other side of the Pacific. I am booked on AA193 15/9 due to arrive am on 16/9 right in time for Mangkhut, definitely cancelled!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.