Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: LH SEN; CX DM; DL PM; Hyatt GL
HKG-MNL

Any idea what will/might happen to HKG-MNL flights on 14 Sep evening and 15 Sep morning?

I’ll arrive in HKG from the US on 14 Sep evening.
The flights are (not yet?) cancelled, but only the late afternoon flight on 15 Sep seems still bookable ...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
I was supposed to be on the IAD inaugural flight but cancelled because of warnings over the South Carolinas hurricanes. Instead I rebooked myself a ex-TPE flight on Saturday, but now I am wondering if I should head towards TPE tonight (Friday) and just stay put at the airport, or should I try to leave on Saturday earliest flight to TPE?

worry the connection (1 hr) between HKG-TPE and TPE-HKG will be way too short. Better safe than sorry I guess?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I was transiting HKG (USA->India) on Sunday 16th but changed to transit on Saturday instead. My original flight had been zeroed out but the new one wasn't. Now the new flights are zeroed out...any cause for concern?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:57 pm

I have a paid business class ticket and connecting in HKG on my way to Canada on the 16th. Will Cathay re-book me on any other airlines, or only OneWorld once the flight is cancelled? Tried calling them twice, and hung up after holding for hours. Also, will it be in business class or whatever class is available?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Traveling to PVG tomorrow (15th), CX proactively sent and email informing me that they will protect me on a partner airline....they when I checked my app...it looks like they confirmed me on a MNL-PVG direct flight on MU for SUNDAY the 16th.

I had to call back and have them reinstate my CX flight because there is no way I'm flying MU.
kaka and tentseller like this.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Sep 13, 2018 at 7:11 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Traveling to PVG tomorrow (15th), CX proactively sent and email informing me that they will protect me on a partner airline....they when I checked my app...it looks like they confirmed me on a MNL-PVG direct flight on MU for SUNDAY the 16th.

I had to call back and have them reinstate my CX flight because there is no way I'm flying MU.
My guess from your post is that you were flying MNL-HKG-PVG on saturday.
The problem is that the typhoon will be near MNL on Saturday. I strongly doubt that CX will wish to cross the typhoon. By Sunday the typhoon will have passe MNL and a flight MNL-PVG on MU would be safer. But if you don't like MU...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: Qantas Virgin Australia
Originally Posted by HiroAvalon
I cancelled my flight and rebooked a direct flight using another non-oneworld carrier, hearing this news/hypothesis.
3 times the price, but hey, I need to be there...
CX policy as per website is being followed pretty carefully by call centre staff, I've had people moved to avoid 16-18, 1 pax accepted downgrade from Bus to Prem Econ to avoid these dates, please bear in mind that if you leave it to chance and your flts are cancelled then you prob won't get FOC accomm at your disruption airport, and you will have to wait until new flts are avail of course .....

Last edited by jframpto; Sep 13, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: Qantas Virgin Australia
Originally Posted by spideysense
I have a paid business class ticket and connecting in HKG on my way to Canada on the 16th. Will Cathay re-book me on any other airlines, or only OneWorld once the flight is cancelled? Tried calling them twice, and hung up after holding for hours. Also, will it be in business class or whatever class is available?
not sure if this is a 100% CX ticketed Reloc ??? from the calls I am dealing with right now, on CX ticketed flights...... there is no specific reaccommodation to other airlines...... if your flights go from/to hkg 16-18 Sep then you can move before or after those dates, subj to all their published conditions...... if there is no business class, then downgrade option might be possible subj to checking but not sure what sort of refund could be obtained if any... but other airlines not an option right now as far as I know.....
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: LH*HON, UA*1K,
Originally Posted by jframpto
not sure if this is a 100% CX ticketed Reloc ??? from the calls I am dealing with right now, on CX ticketed flights...... there is no specific reaccommodation to other airlines...... if your flights go from/to hkg 16-18 Sep then you can move before or after those dates, subj to all their published conditions...... if there is no business class, then downgrade option might be possible subj to checking but not sure what sort of refund could be obtained if any... but other airlines not an option right now as far as I know.....

I am happy to fly from Europe where this airlines has to rebook me on any other flight. Will be fun on saturday. I see myself on Thai to DPS.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
I'm on a JFK-HKG flight departing 9/18 and landing 9/19... does "arriving to and departing from Hong Kong between 16 September and 18 September 2018" mean that change fees will or won't be waived for my flight? I would prefer to keep the flight if it's going to fly, but I want to know my options.

Last edited by frisbfreek; Sep 13, 2018 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: Asiamiles
Just FYI for everyone, I have booked my trip originally from Sept 14-16 via Expedia on Hong Kong Airline - affiliated with CX. They have refunded 100%, and Expedia agent is in touch with hotel regarding accommodation. Seems like they are allowing cancellation overall, from the looks of this, the typhoon will likely be affecting Hong Kong Airport in general.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by vinonobile
Any idea what will/might happen to HKG-MNL flights on 14 Sep evening and 15 Sep morning?

I’ll arrive in HKG from the US on 14 Sep evening.
The flights are (not yet?) cancelled, but only the late afternoon flight on 15 Sep seems still bookable ...
You're completely missing the typhoon, not sure what your concern is. The airport doesn't shut down 2 days prior...

Originally Posted by spgaston
I was transiting HKG (USA->India) on Sunday 16th but changed to transit on Saturday instead. My original flight had been zeroed out but the new one wasn't. Now the new flights are zeroed out...any cause for concern?
My suspicion on the 15th is they've closed out sales to accommodate the flood of passengers switching. Weather on 15th, except perhaps late in the evening is not forecast to be a problem at all.

16th is the ugly day.

Originally Posted by spideysense
Mate, it's going to be a tough situation if the typhoon hits HK as expected. Who they rebook you on is the last of your concerns; note they might not cancel, or might not cancel until the last minute, and then you could get stuck. Inevitably there are going to be a million and one passengers stuck, most of them also on paid tickets (Y, PEY, J and F). I definitely don't envy you in this position and my recommendation is follow the weather, and if the typhoon looks like it's going to hit HKG as expected, don't fly. Or expect to be in insanely overcrowded lounges or in an airport that will turn into fairly chaotic / refugee-center like atmosphere for 24 hours.

It's just going to suck. Sorry not to be more inspirational. But these crazy weather situations, while rare, happen from time to time.

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

Yikes?! So they cancelled your flight on the 15th? Can you elaborate? I have a daytime flight tomorrow as well and figured no problem getting out.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by DrSE
I am happy to fly from Europe where this airlines has to rebook me on any other flight. Will be fun on saturday. I see myself on Thai to DPS.
I'm not sure that is accurate, as per the discussion supra. In any case, Cathay is dealing with a possible super typhoon hit so has a lot on its plate. I don't think it will be fun and wouldn't rely on them proactively to rebook you as you mention. If I was in your position, I would contact my travel agent now to see what can be done.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by vanessaxc
Just FYI for everyone, I have booked my trip originally from Sept 14-16 via Expedia on Hong Kong Airline - affiliated with CX. They have refunded 100%, and Expedia agent is in touch with hotel regarding accommodation. Seems like they are allowing cancellation overall, from the looks of this, the typhoon will likely be affecting Hong Kong Airport in general.
Since when is HX (Hong Kong Airlines) affiliated with CX (Cathay Pacific)?
metcalve likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: Asiamiles
I thought it is :P nvm if its not, anyway I got 100% refund, probably the best scenario in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.