Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
I finally got through and they told me that if the flight is cancelled due to weather, they will NOT book on other carriers to get to my destination; they would only do that for mechanical. I didn't feel like arguing that point, so I just cancelled, got a full refund and booked on Qatar.
Crossed this post.

That part I get though. WX shouldnt require them to accommodate you on another carrier, IMHO. It should, however, allow rebooking to another day regardless of silly fare class restrictions.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrSE
Im supposed to fly this saturday BRU-HKG-DPS connection in HKG on Sunday.
They said yeah we change to friday no problem just 2000 euro fare difference ..... how ridiculous is this airline. They told me to wait until the flight is cancelled. Thank you. I can see long queues already...
jl (and ana for my friend) allowed me to change (except based on status priority) when we just walked into a randon airport in hokkaido that they operate.

cx mpo line wouldnt connect, and when it did actually connect, cx told us theres no seats everywhere for our kixhkg flight even though the cts flight was all 9s on ef (in hindsight its good we didnt take that one)

terrible unhelpful airline.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Cambo
And, yes, that's a really big one. Bigger than the ones, the USA is peeing for in their pants.
Could be, the forecast reference you give, does predict Mangkhut to be 105G130+ knots on landing at Hong Kong, which tends to be significantly above the max winds for land/starting aircraft. Be aware the timing in your reference is GMT, making it 8 hours later in the local clock. Which in turn implies, the wind speeds can be higher (somewhere up to 120G145 knots). Serious enough to be prepared.
In your initial post you said Mangkhut is bigger than Hurricane Florence and that the USA is "peeing in their pants" even though Florence is smaller. Hence my response that it may not be when it reaches Hong Kong. I agree it's serious enough to be prepared, as is Hurricane Florence.

The forecast at the link in my post changed from when I posted to the time of your response. When I posted it indicated the eye hitting Hong Kong on the 16th at 1800Z with max sustained winds of 90 knots. There was no need to account for any time change, because the entire forecast (both the map and the wind table) was based on Zulu time.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
I finally got through and they told me that if the flight is cancelled due to weather, they will NOT book on other carriers to get to my destination; they would only do that for mechanical. I didn't feel like arguing that point, so I just cancelled, got a full refund and booked on Qatar.
So refund is also possible on non refundable tickets?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:47 pm

Yes, refund is possible even on non-refundable tickets but I have not seen anything to that effect yet.

I tried to change my flight both sectors to a Oct date but after 5 attempts at various times, I keep getting this :-

I am not sure should I just cancel the flight....do I see a credit amount to my account?

Reservation hotline keep rejecting calls (2747333), MPC hotline (27475500) is a dead line now.

There will be no refund for no-show and my flight time is approaching.

(Audio)

Last edited by Audio; Sep 12, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I had a CX Holidays booking (flight + hotel made on CX website) with a return flight to HKG on 16 Sept.
They were able to cancel the flights for me with no penalty (usually CX Holidays has 50% penalty for cancellations 3 days or more in advance).
The hotel portion may or may not be refundable, but that's alright as I chose the cheapest hotel for 1 night only (as the plane ticket is a lot cheaper when purchased as a CX Holidays package).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
I am booked on Asia Miles award flight from SIngapore to HK 1.20am 17th Sept. Trying to reach them but have been unable to so far, left messages on phone, fb and through the website. Guess I just have to wait and see.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:51 am

Managed to get through on MPC hotline.

(1) Request to move my flight from 14-16 Sep HKG-SIN-HKG to 5-7 Oct.
(2) Told me they cannot do it as the fare are not the same.
(3) Told her I will, of course, pay for the difference.
(4) No can do because the fare class I am booked under, I cannot move my flight to Oct, it MUST stay in the month of Sep.
(5) Told her that this is a departure from their terms and conditions, see above, it clearly stated that I can move my flight to or before 14 Oct.
(6) She apologised and then suggested 28 Sep.
(7) Told her that I am already booked on CX flights every weekend from now, 14th Sep, 21 Sep, 28 Sep and that's why I am now booking 5 Oct. She say she is unable to help.
(8) OK, I said now you are forcing me, I MUST and I will fly 14 Sep to Singapore to add on to CX chaos on Sunday 16 Sep, there is nothing more to say. I thought I was helping CX by moving my flight and creating an empty seat SIN-HKG for them.
(9) After a while, she return to the line and offer me a full refund.

Now you know why the calls had been flooding the line. They are definitely not helping themselves by putting in new rules and new restrictions.

(Audio)
HaikalS likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:12 am

The forecasts for Mangkhut are showing an increased shift to the west, i.e. not a direct hit. But obviously that could all change when it passes over Luzon.

Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by sscywong
Be aware that 18 Sep is also covered now

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-mangkhut.html

Latest update: 12 Sep 2018 16:00 HKT (GMT+8)

Due to Typhoon Mangkhut, with immediate effect, rebooking, rerouting and refund charges will be waived for all tickets issued worldwide (irrespective of fare type) on/before 11 September 2018 for travel with Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon confirmed booking arriving to and departing from Hong Kong between 16 September and 18 September 2018.

By Sept 18, the typhoon is expected to be overhead northern Vietnam.

Looks to me, CX/KA are preparing to have the airplanes moved out of HKG, just in case, HKG gets a direct hit from the north-side of the typhoon (the heavy winds side). Then they will need Sept 18, to get the airplanes back to HKG and crews back in legal times scales. Airplanes don't like it to get extreme turbulent 145kts winds ....
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
The forecasts for Mangkhut are showing an increased shift to the west, i.e. not a direct hit. But obviously that could all change when it passes over Luzon.

Regarding "direct hit": The heavy winds are some 20-50 nautical miles north of the typhoon eye, so, if the eye moves along HKG some 50 nautical miles south of HKG, the area gets the real hit......
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by OzHK
I am booked on Asia Miles award flight from SIngapore to HK 1.20am 17th Sept. Trying to reach them but have been unable to so far, left messages on phone, fb and through the website. Guess I just have to wait and see.
Finally got through and was able to rebook return flight to Wed 19th Sept. Hopefully everything will be cleared by then.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:34 am

By Sept 18, the typhoon is expected to be overhead northern Vietnam.

Looks to me, CX/KA are preparing to have the airplanes moved out of HKG, just in case, HKG gets a direct hit from the north-side of the typhoon (the heavy winds side). Then they will need Sept 18, to get the airplanes back to HKG and crews back in legal times scales. Airplanes don't like it to get extreme turbulent 145kts winds ....
I cancelled my flight and rebooked a direct flight using another non-oneworld carrier, hearing this news/hypothesis.
3 times the price, but hey, I need to be there...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by HiroAvalon
I cancelled my flight and rebooked a direct flight using another non-oneworld carrier, hearing this news/hypothesis.
3 times the price, but hey, I need to be there...
regardless of which airline you wont fly in/out of hk fron saturday night the way it looks. if you need be there fly tmr (friday). if you cant commit to fly on friday, well, you dont actually "need" to be there then.... someone who really needed to be somewhere would havr flown out by now
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:42 am

My original flight (mentioned earlier in this thread) was an indirect flight via HKG on CX.
The new itin. is a direct flight - which does not fly near the typhoon, so should be safe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.