Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Looks like not a typhoon related cancellation. Maybe it is if Indian authorities won't let them park at their airport for extra hours. But CX wouldn't want to leave any plane in HKG.

Could it be, CX does have a policy in place to not let airplanes overnight at HYD, for security reasons ?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Looks like not a typhoon related cancellation. Maybe it is if Indian authorities won't let them park at their airport for extra hours. But CX wouldn't want to leave any plane in HKG.
I am not sure I am right, but I think that statement is incorrect.
I believe lots of CX plane are in HKG now. I believe CX wishes to resume normal schedule on Monday after 4am.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cambo
That's a good one, and immediately a challenge to predict this for flights leaving 15+ hours away.

How did HKG did with past typhoons ?
All typhoons are not equal. If MANGKHUT is a direct hit (unlikely at this point) anything can happen.
But even with HATO, there were only little damages to HKIA or aircraft, with no disruptions to operations (except during the typhoon itself)..
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by brunos
I believe lots of CX plane are in HKG now. I believe CX wishes to resume normal schedule on Monday after 4am.
Depends on the winds. With 105G145kts (original estimate on Windy.tv), it would not be wise. With "only" 55G70kts (see the above TAF), that'll be less of a problem.

Despite the more direct hit, it seems, the actual winds are less then originally expected.

Though potential flooding of the airport should be taken into account to.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by fakecd
i dont see how its their problem. u chose to take chance and backfired. its not just weather, but whole aircraft positioning, crew availability and other factor are in play. you so well know this huge storm coming, well advertised ahead of fact that disruption for entire weekend was possible... so tough luck.

as a long time local even i feel worried about this one. you choose to spend it here. be prepared.and i doubt u get on 17th either, even if u did expect tarmac delays of multiple hours
You are right I did know I was taking my chances. But CX travel waiver was always from 16-18. I originally was connecting on 16th but changed to 15th to beat the storm. When I arrived at HKG, weather is fine. I understand crew positioning, etc, but still this could have been forseen by the airline before I boarded in SFO. If there is some special rules about overnight in HYD, they could have forseen that too. I also figured they would want their aircraft positioned there to bring back the HYD-HKG pax from the two cancelled flights.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
kix is at open sea and also it was timed with king tide.
hkg is enclosed somewhat so i doubt it sinks. if it does there are bigger problems elsewhere in hk
QRC3288 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by spgaston
Got on CX879 in SFO on Friday thinking my Sat evening connection in HKG would be ok. Arrived here to find out they cancelled Sat eve flight to HYD even though weather is fine. I'm so pissed. They should have cancelled before I got on the plane in SFO.
No other flights to India available tonight.
I have a BP for Sunday the 16th, with handwritten Monday the 17th on it. I am protected on another flight on the 19th.
CX put me up in a hotel far from airport for two nights with paid taxi and meals (Paid J ticket). Guess I will be riding out the storm in Hong Kong.
Why not fly to Dhaka (KA110) tonight, take a morning flight to Kolkata and then onto HYD. You could probably be there for lunch on the 16th, no?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by steve15182
Why not fly to Dhaka (KA110) tonight, take a morning flight to Kolkata and then onto HYD. You could probably be there for lunch on the 16th, no?
I was told by CX on arrival that there is no possibility to get to India tonight. I know I could have asked elsewhere but I am now far away from the airport.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:06 am

Both CX and KA are sending aircraft out of HKG to outports for two reasons - 1) to protect the aircraft from potential typhoon damage 2) for crew and aircraft to be in position to return to HKG as soon as conditions permit (at this stage looks like late Monday afternoon). Hence if you check the arrivals board, you'll see all the afternoon/evening flights departed but the return sector was cancelled. CX will have around 25 aircraft, KA less than 10 in HK to ride out the storm.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:27 am

Christep thanks I have been monitoring the cx site.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by bhyq

Both CX and KA are sending aircraft out of HKG to outports for two reasons - 1) to protect the aircraft from potential typhoon damage 2) for crew and aircraft to be in position to return to HKG as soon as conditions permit (at this stage looks like late Monday afternoon). Hence if you check the arrivals board, you'll see all the afternoon/evening flights departed but the return sector was cancelled. CX will have around 25 aircraft, KA less than 10 in HK to ride out the storm.
If that's the case kudo to CX for managing this so well, regardless of how bad the typhoon will be.
Happy, QRC3288, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:53 am

Both Hong Kong Airlines and HK Express have already sent empty planes away from HKG.

UO: B-LCE flew to KHH
HX: B-LND and B-LNG are on the sky now where as B-LPK already flew to Guiyang and B-LPL flew to Fuzhou

CX is also already sending planes away such as B-KQH. I guess we will see more of such movements in the coming hours.
Chromie25 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Chromie25
If that's the case kudo to CX for managing this so well, regardless of how bad the typhoon will be.
I think this might be the first time CX/KA (and both HX/UO) does this. Probably they all have learnt from the recent typhoon at KIX.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by AviationAddict
CX is also already sending planes away such as B-KQH. I guess we will see more of such movements in the coming hours.
I believe B-KQH (along with many other CX planes) are operating their regular scheduled flights, and not flying out of HKG empty because of the storm.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
I have just recieved notification from CX that my 9.10am Sunday 16/9 flight to CDG has been rescheduled to FRIDAY 21/9. Midnight flight. Some SIX days from now. Has anyone got advice how to get this moved forwards? Ringing CX call centre just getting out on holding pattern.

Btw the advice people were putting out in this thread to go out to the airport yesterday and try and get on a flight was EXTREMELY unhelpful. There were NO available flights on Cx yesterday and the Hong Kong hotel rates are going through the roof. So to give up your hotel reservation to do that could have caused you to have incurred thousands of $$$ rebooking a hotel again after having gone out to the airport. VERY BAD ADVICE FROM SOMEONE PROBABLY NOT EVEN ANYWHERE NEAR HONG KONG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.