Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
We are on cx279 HKG-cdg on 16 sept depart 9.10am. I just checked the flight status and It says cancelled. I haven’t heard from Cx what to do here. I couldn’t get through on the Cx contact number. Does anyone know what to do here?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:00 pm

I'm scheduled to fly CX888 YVR-JFK on the 16th. This plane would normally come in from HKG leaving HKG at 1230am on the 17th. Given that CX doesn't want their planes stuck in HKG on the 16th is it safe to assume that they may end up keeping their Sept 15th JFK-YVR-HKG CX865 in YVR and use it on the 16th for YVR-JFK CX888 ?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Hi guys,

I booked a HKG-SIN return through a travel agent called trip.com.

I checked in and got my boarding pass for CX659 which departs at 0145 the 17th September.

Almost immediately I get a text to say that the flight has been cancelled.

I've returned to trip.com but now it seems I can't change the flight as I've already checked it. Go to the Cathay site to see if I can reverse the check in but checking in for the flight has been blocked so I can't even get to the screen.

Who should I contact to get my flight rerouted? Cathay? or my travel agent. I seem to be on hold for all eternity with either!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
for everyone who is flying exHKG between the current time and monday midday, get ur bum to hkia before the end of day for any chance to get the hell out of HKG. the earlier the merrier. i think cx zeroed out all flight to cater for as many of you lot as possible.
QRC3288 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
My original flight CX908 actually left on time this morning...and looks like it just landed in HKG....kinda annoyed that CX got overly cautious and sent me to PR tomorrow (flights for today was full...then got cancelled) when they could have flown me to HKG this morning.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ppang
Hi guys,

I booked a HKG-SIN return through a travel agent called trip.com.

I checked in and got my boarding pass for CX659 which departs at 0145 the 17th September.

Almost immediately I get a text to say that the flight has been cancelled.

I've returned to trip.com but now it seems I can't change the flight as I've already checked it. Go to the Cathay site to see if I can reverse the check in but checking in for the flight has been blocked so I can't even get to the screen.

Who should I contact to get my flight rerouted? Cathay? or my travel agent. I seem to be on hold for all eternity with either!
If it was me I'd probably get on to their support twitter (as suggested in the cancellation email i received). I can imagine their phone lines will be maxed out with the number of cancellations
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hey guys,
I have an Alaska partner booking on CX departing LAX on sunday afteroon and arriving HKG on Monday, Sep 17, 7 pm and connecting onto JNB about 5 hours later on same ticket. Got email to check-in to the flight LAX - HKG (as within 48 hours window).

1) Should I proactively check-in so not bumped from this flight LAX - HKG? If I check in, read reports here that cannot do anything if flight is subsequently cancelled. so risky maybe?
2) Should I call CX call center to ask for routing via some other carrier to JNB
3) Sit still and wait for them to cancel? then do something.

Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by vinonobile

not sure how flying into Manila tomorrow will be missing the typhoon.... bad weather extends beyond the centre of the storm, you know.
I think you made a typo then....you wrote 14 (two days ago) and 15 (yesterday).

Tomorrow is 17.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Just got an update for HKG -> LHR :: CX237 & CX255 in small hours Monday 17th are moved to after 1000, so a delay of about 10 hours. The 3 daytime flights on Sunday are cancelled, naturally.
Edit, FYI: Looking at the seat load for CX237, quite a lot of empty seats - it's not filled up at the moment for accommodating the other three from Sunday.

Last edited by simonjp; Sep 14, 2018 at 8:41 pm Reason: Load factors.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Advice from above - go to airport today if you can

For those in HKG , kaka has solid advice above: go to the airport early today if possible. Flights were zeroed out to accommodate.

For those outside HKG, I don't think anything is a "safe" strategy. This is possibly the biggest storm to hit HKG in what, 30+ years? It definitely will be HKIAs biggest typhoon ever. Keep trying to reach CX on the phone or via some method (maybe your outport in person) . As you see from anecdotes above, when you can get through they seem to be doing a good job, like the guy who was put on BR LAX to TPE. But you need to speak to someone.

Predicting how things will play out post typhoon is very hard. Everyone is crossing their fingers HKG doesn't have flooding or serious damage, so normal ops can get back underway Monday night / Tuesday morning.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
this is hearsay from someone

CX has issued the following to its cabin crew/ground staff:

Sat:
after 1600 announcement that T3 may be raised
around 1900 T3 raised
around 2200 T8 raised

Sun:
0600 - 1100 announcement that T10 may be raised
Around 1200 T10 raised
2100 Highest windspeed 177kph

Mon:
Latest 0600 Reduced to T8
around 1700 Typhoon will clearly weaken
2000 Reduced to T3

The above information at this juncture is accurate to +/- 2 hours.
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:17 pm

According to latest Travel Advisories on CX website, all CX flights will be cancelled between 0230 on 16 Sept and 0400 on 17 Sept; all KA flights on 16 Sept will be cancelled. Expecting to have 400+ cancellations in the next three days.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...xsource=roller
Kilian Zoll likes this.

Last edited by cfyed; Sep 14, 2018 at 9:18 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Apparently the whole page of cancellation listings at this page actually lists UTC instead of alleged local times:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ellations.html
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by jmj9905
I am flying ord/hkg/cgk. We leave ord mon. sept. 17 and schedule to arrive HKG at 20:00 on Tuesday Sept. 18. I am not familiar with how cx and hkg handle bad weather. Can anyone venture a guess at this point if I have a problem?
Thanks.
From a weather perspective you should be fine. The issue will be whether there is a plane/crew in ORD on Tuesday to operate the first flight. You should be able to work this out by following the CX HKG-ORD flights.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
T* is now expected at midnight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.