FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club-487/)
-   -   Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1929978-typhoon-mangkhut-16-sept-2018-a.html)

Cambo Sep 11, 18 10:31 pm


Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd (Post 30194336)
I like using this website which puts together different forecast into one map.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d775cf7440.png
Looks like apart from HK Observatory, the other weather forecasts are saying that the Typhoon will be farther away from HK by the 16th UTC.

Could be, though take into account, the highest wind speeds do not appear in (front of) the exact path, though some 20-50 nautical miles north of the nucleus.

gpia Sep 11, 18 10:53 pm

Just tried to rebook my flight arriving KTM-HKG on Monday 17 by calling 3888.

Agent says plenty of seats available/for sale on the days we looked at, but no O class. Won't open O class either.

I mean, if you're really trying to minimize irrops, show some flexibility...I get seat reservations, extra legroom seats, etc. free of charge as DM anyhow - so it's not like I am trying to get anything extra from being in a higher fare class. But nope, sorry sir!



https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-mangkhut.html
"The newly rebooked sector must observe and conform to the conditions of the respective fare rule, e.g. blackout dates, flight application, weekend/weekday travel, stopover charges and applicable seasonality by collecting additional/refunding difference (if any) as appropriate."

DrSE Sep 12, 18 4:38 am

Im supposed to fly this saturday BRU-HKG-DPS connection in HKG on Sunday.
They said yeah we change to friday no problem just 2000 euro fare difference ..... how ridiculous is this airline. They told me to wait until the flight is cancelled. Thank you. I can see long queues already...

gpia Sep 12, 18 5:09 am


Originally Posted by DrSE (Post 30195109)
Im supposed to fly this saturday BRU-HKG-DPS connection in HKG on Sunday.
They said yeah we change to friday no problem just 2000 euro fare difference ..... how ridiculous is this airline. They told me to wait until the flight is cancelled. Thank you. I can see long queues already...

Below is the equivalent for Hurricane Florence at UA this week. Now that is customer-focused proper irrops minimization. CX’s is not.
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing between September 10, 2018, and September 16, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.

carrotjuice Sep 12, 18 5:44 am

I’m scheduled to fly KUL-HKG-PVG on 17 Sep, so called my company TA who contacted CX (as this was a TA booking I can’t rebook or reroute online). And CX says my flight is still “operating as planned” and “nothing needs to be done regardless of what the CX website travel advisory says”.

My TA recommends to hold on and wait for any cancellation email or SMS from CX, then CX will move the booking to another flight or even another carrier (hoping they’d move me to direct MH flight KUL-PVG).

Is this good advice?

bhyq Sep 12, 18 5:49 am


Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 30195225)
I’m scheduled to fly KUL-HKG-PVG on 17 Sep, so called my company TA who contacted CX (as this was a TA booking I can’t rebook or reroute online). And CX says my flight is still “operating as planned” and “nothing needs to be done regardless of what the CX website travel advisory says”.

My TA recommends to hold on and wait for any cancellation email or SMS from CX, then CX will move the booking to another flight or even another carrier (hoping they’d move me to direct MH flight KUL-PVG).

Is this good advice?

this annoys me greatly. Clearly the flights will not operate on Sunday - doesn't take a genius to work that out. Yet they will wait until the last possible second to cancel and then switch to panic mode as the advisory causes hundreds if not thousands of passengers flood the hotlines to change their flights all at once. What happened to being PROACTIVE and customer centric, not to mention saving themselves a lot of hassle. Alas they'll never learn.

carrotjuice Sep 12, 18 6:42 am


Originally Posted by bhyq (Post 30195236)


this annoys me greatly. Clearly the flights will not operate on Sunday - doesn't take a genius to work that out. Yet they will wait until the last possible second to cancel and then switch to panic mode as the advisory causes hundreds if not thousands of passengers flood the hotlines to change their flights all at once. What happened to being PROACTIVE and customer centric, not to mention saving themselves a lot of hassle. Alas they'll never learn.

I suppose they’re hoping the typhoon changes course - which has been known to happen?

HiroAvalon Sep 12, 18 7:20 am

Connecting through HKG to another destination on the 17th.
How flexible is CX with weather? Would they have a chance to put me on a direct flight ran on a different carrier?

Cambo Sep 12, 18 7:35 am


Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 30195362)


I suppose they’re hoping the typhoon changes course - which has been known to happen?

It is still nearly 3 full days out. A 10 degrees change in typhoon course will change the landing location that much, that no service disruption has to be expected in HKG. The more extreme the typhoon, the more chance, things go different then the weather models based on the lesser category typhoons.

Audio Sep 12, 18 7:36 am

Tried to go to Manage Flight to change my booking..... the website reject you.

Tried to call reservation office. They are now rejecting all calls due high volume of calls, asking you to go change your booking on the website.

(Audio)

carrotjuice Sep 12, 18 7:38 am


Originally Posted by Audio (Post 30195522)
Tried to go to Manage Flight to change my booking..... the website reject you.

Tried to call reservation office. They are now rejecting all calls due high volume of calls, asking you to go change your booking on the website.

(Audio)

Feels like being swirled around by a typhoon!

(Sorry can’t help it.)

gpia Sep 12, 18 8:15 am

Why then post

”We strongly request passengers travelling on these dates, and whose bookings were made on cathaypacific.com or our mobile app, to rebook their journey”

on the website, if they are hoping/thinking there’s a chance it won’t happen (which anyone knows it might)?!

sscywong Sep 12, 18 9:56 am

Be aware that 18 Sep is also covered now

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-mangkhut.html

Latest update: 12 Sep 2018 16:00 HKT (GMT+8)

Due to Typhoon Mangkhut, with immediate effect, rebooking, rerouting and refund charges will be waived for all tickets issued worldwide (irrespective of fare type) on/before 11 September 2018 for travel with Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon confirmed booking arriving to and departing from Hong Kong between 16 September and 18 September 2018.


FFMilesJunkie Sep 12, 18 10:31 am

I finally got through and they told me that if the flight is cancelled due to weather, they will NOT book on other carriers to get to my destination; they would only do that for mechanical. I didn't feel like arguing that point, so I just cancelled, got a full refund and booked on Qatar.

gpia Sep 12, 18 10:36 am


Originally Posted by sscywong (Post 30196065)
Be aware that 18 Sep is also covered now

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-mangkhut.html

Oh come on...now it’s irrespective of fare classes?! Don’t tell me to call and rebook, then deny my request, have me make alternative arrangements...and then a day later everything is up for grabs?!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:43 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.