FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1929978-typhoon-mangkhut-16-sept-2018-a.html)

fast03 Sep 16, 2018 7:31 am

It’s been over an hour on the DM line and still could not get through and check my chances to fly back to HKG from SIN. The earliest they can confirm me is Tues night which is difficult for me. Im waitlisted on the early morning though.

Anyone else on the phone trying to get through or have gotten through? I’m almost at the point of giving up.

Cambo Sep 16, 2018 9:18 am

Looking at the HKG METARS as well as Windy.tv, I can only say that HKG itself, the airport, got relatively saved from the worst, due to the typhoon having a slightly more northern trajectory. Looks to me, Shanwei and area got the real hit (despite all the "spectacular" videos from around HK city).

boybi Sep 16, 2018 9:57 am

How is HKIA after the typhoon?

kaka Sep 16, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by fast03 (Post 30209266)
It’s been over an hour on the DM line and still could not get through and check my chances to fly back to HKG from SIN. The earliest they can confirm me is Tues night which is difficult for me. Im waitlisted on the early morning though.

Anyone else on the phone trying to get through or have gotten through? I’m almost at the point of giving up.

like the reverse of saturday, go to the airport.

QRC3288 Sep 16, 2018 10:20 am

At least for operations, HKG is looking good. There are numerous inbound aircraft from Europe and North America, normally scheduled early morning arrivals. They will arrive between 6 and 9am on Monday. Normal operations should be restarted (as best as possible....) on Monday.

But realistically the first "normal" day of operations won't be until Tuesday

simonjp Sep 16, 2018 10:22 am

At the moment, it looks like most of the question marks surround getting to/from the airport in the morning. AEL is currently down for now, and most other public transport is also TBC.
More will be known by the time the Observatory considers the downgrade to T3 at 0600.

patrickw Sep 16, 2018 10:39 am

I think MTR is inspecting tracks and wire lines since a few hours ago and so far there is no specific reports on any sections suffering huge damages so chances are the AEL will be operating tomorrow. Of course it will be more clear on this in a few hours and people can monitor the Twitter account of MTR Service Update run by staff which usually gives timely updates or of course the MTR website.

G-CIVC Sep 16, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 30205185)
For those in HKG , kaka has solid advice above: go to the airport early today if possible. Flights were zeroed out to accommodate.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 30202621)
CX601 HKG-MLE Sep 16 - 2x pax in I class already protected (with partner involved). Thank you 3888 for continuing to be 0-min wait and flexible (although not for higher fare bucket).

My 2nd IRROPS in my 16-month history with MPO, better handling this time!

Will reiterate that this is the best strategy going forward in future IRROPS situation. It's a very complicated story (can PM me for details - also about DM related benefits) but essentially, I went to the airport on Sep 15 without a confirmed ticket for the (oversold) HKG-MLE flight and CX essentially kicked two people off from the flight to accommodate us. The premium to pay for DM over emerald has proven its worth not once but multiple times over as it has been for a few times.

spgaston Sep 16, 2018 5:25 pm

I am scheduled on CX649 tonight at 21:15...delayed from 16Sept to 17Sept. I am checked in and have boarding pass, and the flight is not cancelled yet. I am the only person with a seat assignment in J in online check in! Should I arrive very early to HKG, like noon, in case my flight gets cancelled and they might be able to get me on a connecting flight via SIN, BKK, KUL, etc? Will they allow me through security so long before flight? Will it be a madhouse? I am worried they won't cancel flight until later tonight after my connecting options have all flown away.

kaka Sep 16, 2018 6:23 pm

if tpehkg is what You are looking for, you can go to the airport are you standby for an earlier flight. You probably can get on. I would guess same applies if you are in Hong Kong looking to head out

peasant Sep 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by tobikosan (Post 30209023)

These tickets were in E class so not upgradable with miles and CX BKK airport agent would not budge this rule and let me upgrade. Anyone with experience of them bending this rule? Also since I paid a change fee a few weeks ago to change to the 16th and now this change was not honored am I entitled to $100 change fee refund? What about $39 Amex booking of the change?

No, they won't bend the rule on E class.

On the change - the change was honoured, as in your departure date changed. I don't see that it is refundable because a typhoon happened to cause an involuntary reschedule

triplefives Sep 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Apparently SQ1 from SFO and continuing onward to SIN was the only flight to land and depart HKG during the early part of the typhoon.

Audio Sep 16, 2018 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives (Post 30211573)
Apparently SQ1 from SFO and continuing onward to SIN was the only flight to land and depart HKG during the early part of the typhoon.

This is a regular feature when HK airport gets shutdown with #8 - #10 warning. The last one I heard the pilot experienced windshear on final approach and then made the decision to divert to TPE.

(Audio)

percysmith Sep 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives (Post 30211573)

Originally Posted by Audio (Post 30211602)
This is a regular feature when HK airport gets shutdown with #8 - #10 warning. The last one I heard the pilot experienced windshear on final approach and then made the decision to divert to TPE.

(Audio)

I remembered that one
Brave souls, those SQ pilots.

Not that they get it wrong - the only time they really did was taking off the wrong runway in Taipei about two decades ago.

jagmeets Sep 16, 2018 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30211610)
I remembered that one
Brave souls, those SQ pilots.

Not that they get it wrong - the only time they really did was taking off the wrong runway in Taipei about two decades ago.

hmm..and then there was that evacuation that they didn’t do- brave indeed..

Veering OT, but SQ1 has also been the only one trying to land two years back..(gave up after 2 tries and went back to TPE that they had overflown)..