Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flying CX as Marco Polo Silver vs OW Sapphire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying CX as Marco Polo Silver vs OW Sapphire

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by ny911
Even SL has higher priority for opup than OWE. Not sure about GR though. It really depends on your flying pattern and how you value those opups, for me, I don't expect too much on it as a SL/OWE.
I made OWE one year and flew NYC-HKG RT 3 times that year and got op'ed up on every flight. Definitely didn't happen when I was CX SL.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by SuloL
According to a friend of mine who works for CX as a GA, CX SL gets priority over OWS for op-ups. The logic seemingly is to prioritise their own members over partners. Same way as CX GO gets higher priority than partner OWE.

That being said, there might be other unknown factors considered in addition to status when figuring out who gets the double beep.
in my previous years as cx GO i’ve experienced the exact opposite where the OWE was upgraded over a bunch of cx GO members that were in my group
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by ny911
Even SL has higher priority for opup than OWE. Not sure about GR though. It really depends on your flying pattern and how you value those opups, for me, I don't expect too much on it as a SL/OWE.
Not true according my source, who seemed to recall the training materials and the pecking order on the subject very quickly, and whom I have no reason to doubt. I was told CX DM - CX GO - OWE - CX SL - OWS. This supports my own first-hand experiences.

Originally Posted by dek526
in my previous years as cx GO i’ve experienced the exact opposite where the OWE was upgraded over a bunch of cx GO members that were in my group
I would be surprised if status was the only part of the equation. If I was an airline, I would look at fare classes booked and customer value in addition to status. Also, plenty of reasons outside of these that could affect the op-up processing, e.g. service recovery gestures, higher status pax travelling in group bookings, etc etc.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Think I’ll stay with MPC for now so I can upgrade with miles. And I’ll try to do some mileage runs to make Gold next year.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by BOStoHKG
I’m currently MP Silver, but considering switching to AAdvantage, as I believe my travel patterns will make it easier for me to get to OneWorld Sapphire with them. Will I have a better shot at free upgrades on long haul flights as a Sapphire?
Also, the flight I take most is an AA codeshare, so I should be able to get full AA miles for it regardless of fare class, correct? Thanks!
Just curious: I find that AA codeshare flights operated by CX are generally much more expensive than native CX flights. Are you experiencing the same?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Just curious: I find that AA codeshare flights operated by CX are generally much more expensive than native CX flights. Are you experiencing the same?
I've only bought one, just flew last week. I took a CX/AA codeshare BOS-HKG, but JAL premium econ on the way back, and overall it was less expensive than doing the same on CX. Sorry, don't have a lot of experience here.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: pleb
This is due to revenue sharing for the codeshare. I'm not entirely sure on specifics, but I'm sure more knowledgeable flyers would be able to explain further.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by BOStoHKG
I've only bought one, just flew last week. I took a CX/AA codeshare BOS-HKG, but JAL premium econ on the way back, and overall it was less expensive than doing the same on CX. Sorry, don't have a lot of experience here.
Thanks for the reply! It seems that there is basically nothing to credit to AA if one does not buy codeshares. Most (and I really mean Most) native CX fares do not earn any AA points at all.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by nightkhan
This is due to revenue sharing for the codeshare. I'm not entirely sure on specifics, but I'm sure more knowledgeable flyers would be able to explain further.
I think it is the standard practice that codeshare prices more than native flights. I think Joint Ventures are exceptions, as UA/NH, AA/JL, DL/KE codeshares price almost the same as native flights.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:49 am
jh_

Programs: AA EXP; CX SL
Thanks for the reply! It seems that there is basically nothing to credit to AA if one does not buy codeshares. Most (and I really mean Most) native CX fares do not earn any AA points at all.
Actually, there are sweet spots in the system. Sure, if you mainly fly economy then AA doesn't work so well when it comes to crediting CX. Although from the lowest budget premium economy (this is native CX ticket) and up you get 1.5 times elite qualification miles per mile flown and AA gives quite a generous elite bonus (extra 60% as plat, 80% as plat pro and 120% as exp). Eg. if you were an executive platinum you would earn in the ballpark of 35k miles for a round trip JFK-HKG in premium economy, and 4 round trips are enough for you to keep your Emerald tier.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jh_

Actually, there are sweet spots in the system. Sure, if you mainly fly economy then AA doesn't work so well when it comes to crediting CX. Although from the lowest budget premium economy (this is native CX ticket) and up you get 1.5 times elite qualification miles per mile flown and AA gives quite a generous elite bonus (extra 60% as plat, 80% as plat pro and 120% as exp). Eg. if you were an executive platinum you would earn in the ballpark of 35k miles for a round trip JFK-HKG in premium economy, and 4 round trips are enough for you to keep your Emerald tier.
Yes, that's how easy AA EXP is attainable with CX PEY, but the same trips in CX will give you 60*8=480 CP, not even GO. It is extremely hard for US-based pax to maintain MPC status, but it might be pointless except for access to FL.

For the op-up - yes it's easy to get op-up from Y to PEY, but I have never been op-up by CX from W to J in the last 3 years, about 15 RT between US and HKG (mostly JFK/EWR).
nightkhan and lixiaojuventus like this.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Sep 18, 2018 at 5:56 am Reason: Club Points, not Tier Points. LOL
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Yes, that's how easy AA EXP is attainable with CX PEY, but the same trips in CX will give you 60*8=480 CP, not even GO. It is extremely hard for US-based pax to maintain MPC status, but it might be pointless except for access to FL.

For the op-up - yes it's easy to get op-up from Y to PEY, but I have never been op-up by CX from W to J in the last 3 years, about 15 RT between US and HKG (mostly JFK/EWR).
Would you mind saying what status you are/were? For CX SL my op-up was pretty much 50%, for both Y to PEY and PEY to J. CX GR would be around 25-30%. Recently switched to OWS and got op-upped once out of once (PEY to J). Would really like to know if CX SL gets better op-up chance than OWS as I'm thinking about switching back to CX SL. I also fly JFK/EWR to HKG most of the time.

From my op-up experience it seems OWS?=CXSL>CXGR>>>OWR. CX GR is definitely better than OWR in terms of op-ups (though I'm sure not many of you care lol)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by yyla
Would you mind saying what status you are/were? For CX SL my op-up was pretty much 50%, for both Y to PEY and PEY to J. CX GR would be around 25-30%. Recently switched to OWS and got op-upped once out of once (PEY to J). Would really like to know if CX SL gets better op-up chance than OWS as I'm thinking about switching back to CX SL. I also fly JFK/EWR to HKG most of the time.

From my op-up experience it seems OWS?=CXSL>CXGR>>>OWR. CX GR is definitely better than OWR in terms of op-ups (though I'm sure not many of you care lol)
Only 1 trip was taken as OWS, all others were OWE. The fact is op-up is highly route-/time-dependent. I am fully aware of the fact that JFK/EWR sold really well on J, but not so much on PEY (recently PEY has been good though), so whenever Y is oversold, OWE got op-up easily from Y to PEY. However when you have a full J cabin due to either too many business travelers or AA/AS miles users, there's really nothing too much to expect. My purchased J with EWR/JFK always featured full J, except for JFK - YVR seg.
In addition, weekend/weekday might make a difference, but I am too lazy to dig into my trip history.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
I'm probably in a similar pattern as @andersonCooper. 6-7 longhauls, EWR/JFK-HKG on PE, no other travel. I try to get redemption upgrade to J with R class ticket on each trip as company won't pay for J. I haven't switched to AA, but would probably make OWE pretty quickly. WIth MPC, that pattern has me in GO/OWS for the last 3 years. I thought I had a chance for DM this year as I snagged two J class tickets during the black friday sale last year, but a little work hitch left me three months with no travel over the summer. If I can get an extension in November, maybe can get to 1100 points and hope they would bump me up.

If I switched to AA, I'd get to OWE quickly, but lose the J class redemption upgrades. As @andersonCooper mentioned, op-up is very route/time dependent, but IMHO seems EWR op-up has decreased with the change to A359. JFK op-up has never seemed great for GO. I have a few co-workers that use JFK-HKG, and they hardly ever get one although they usually take the Sunday CX845 and Friday CX840 flights which seem pretty elite heavy. I'm more willing to choose midweek or Saturday flights.

With the redemption change, and upgrade rate going up to 70K miles round trip, I'm still able to afford the miles, so I'm sticking with CX for now, but I do contemplate switching to AA. I don't really care about F lounge access, Pier J is good enough for me. Sure I'd like to be DM, but without the additional local travel, don't think I can get or maintain with my current pattern. CX GO works for me, albeit only slightly more valuable than SL.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:07 am

Having a similar dilemma. I'm having trouble maintaining my CX Gold due to family members relocating and my travel patterns changing, and wondering if I should just credit to another OW frequent flyer program. BA seems to always pop up as the easiest to attain OWS status.

I did want to point out that for domestic US lounge access, AA actually screws their own so if this is an important benefit for you, keep this in mind. For example, I can access the AA Flagship Lounge at JFK with my OWS access flying in domestic economy, but whatever AA's equivalent is for OWS cannot do the same. I don't know how their status maps, but this is what is on their website: AAdvantage®Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum customers traveling solely on North American itineraries do not qualify for Flagship Lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.