Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Looking for thoughts on CX online J class fare booking and the bait and switch !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for thoughts on CX online J class fare booking and the bait and switch !

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by osotoc
It's all about the upsell!
Have a look at how TG does solve this. Much, much easier.

MH on the contrary is significantly worse, you only see the final fare, once you selected all segments, ending up with a fare you don't want, having to revert to a new search, select (partially) other flights for each of the segments, etc. Even when knowing which flights based on Matrix, it's a nightmare.

Ryanair does even do a better job, though they only sell one class
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by QRC3288
OP: Select the box that says "only show combinations with lowest fare" or something like that.

I think what the OP is referring to, is this:

1.) You search, calendar comes up, many dates have red flags. Red flags mean "lowest fare on this date combo".
2.) You click on one of the lower fare combos. Then, a bunch of flights come up. Often, most of those flights are NOT the lowest fare combo.
-> To make things more confusing now, post recent IT changes, TONS of flights show up now, I'm seeing way more codeshare options / flights without the class I want.
-> Case in point, I was looking for flights HKG-Tokyo in F. I really just wanted to buy HKG-HND, obviously this isn't my first rodeo and I know those are the only flights with F, or maybe I assumed JAL could have one a day (apparently they don't). But CX showed me EVERY flight to Tokyo, with a little notation for each. If I don't engage in this forum, I bet I could be easily fooled on that. Same situation when I was recently trying to buy F to PVG, I know sometimes there are a few flights a day on KA with it. But CX/KA show everything. It's actually quite confusing since F isn't offered on most flights. I'm certain they're fooling people who aren't as into this for a hobby as we are.
3.) It is very easy to not click the cheapest fare combo. I think this is what the OP is referring to. Then you click through a few times, and presto the fare is 1.5-2x what you thought. I had this happen to me a few weeks ago buying a TPE-HKG ticket for me and the Mrs. I thought the fare would be 25k or so total, but when I clicked through it was 35k. I had accidentally done what the OP describes.

I don't actually think it's bait and switch though. I just think CX IT seems not very clever. You can figure it out though. Just frustrating.
I think this is what OP is referring to since I've been experiencing the same thing as well. Currently looking at NYC-TPE flights, just Y fare. The fare matrix charts are showing around $900 for all date combinations. Click the date combo, go to next page to select specific type of fare, still choosing the lowest at $900, and when I finally select the specific flights, lowest fare is $1300. Clicked through all the combos to try and find the $900 fare and it's only one specific combo with the 2 stops layover through Vancouver and HK.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by watery
Because some people may then decide to not like the timings of the cheapest flights and eventually decides to pay a little (sometimes a lot) more for other flights that suit better.
For your identification purpose, the non-cheapest fare levels are already indicated as greyed out/missing red flag at bottom right, so quite well indicated already? Since some routings can have many alternatives especially involving other airlines, putting all possible flight prices at the top might make the list too long/hard to read.

Not always greyed out. For my example all the flights are available to pick for the $900 option. You only find out the increased actual fare after you select your flights.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:53 pm

My NYC-TPE example:

Fare matrix showing ~$900 prices

Selected lowest fare, all flights are available to select, even showing how many remaining

All flights available to select under lowest fare

Selected flights I want, actualy $1377 fare now showing on top for flights

Don't think I'd call it B&S, but still annoying
Cambo likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by nightkhan

Selected flights I want, actualy $1377 fare now showing on top for flights

Don't think I'd call it B&S, but still annoying
I think you need to scroll further to find the Flight with the red mark on the lower right corner to match the lowest price. I think CX shows flights based on chronological order and not based on price.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This UI is even more annoying because the screen elements are so large, you can't even see all the info without multiple screen scrolls. All style and no substance.
Cambo likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: CX GO
I understand the OP's frustration too. I believe that after you click on your outgoing flight, certain red-dotted return flight will grey out and the remaining will be the one with lowest fare combo.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I've always reviewed the price on the last screen before purchasing the ticket so I've seen what the OP Is referring to.

The only difference with CX is their inbound and outbound flights are both on the same page, in addition to not showing the price of the flight - not the best design but it works.

It's still way better than the page for flight redemptions at least.
Cambo likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Cambo
Have a look at how TG does solve this. Much, much easier.

MH on the contrary is significantly worse, you only see the final fare, once you selected all segments, ending up with a fare you don't want, having to revert to a new search, select (partially) other flights for each of the segments, etc. Even when knowing which flights based on Matrix, it's a nightmare.

Ryanair does even do a better job, though they only sell one class
I'm sure each airline's website do their best to show what they need to show to get you to keep clicking and eventually buying a ticket.
Personally, I'm savvy enough when I'm searching for a deal to find the best deal. I'm not too concerned about falling for bait and switch. haha.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:49 am

Hanlons Razor.....

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by osotoc
I'm sure each airline's website do their best to show what they need to show to get you to keep clicking and eventually buying a ticket.
Personally, I'm savvy enough when I'm searching for a deal to find the best deal. I'm not too concerned about falling for bait and switch. haha.
Sure, most people aren't idiots, though it is annoying, these things aren't made clear upfront and you have to restart, etc.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I think you need to scroll further to find the Flight with the red mark on the lower right corner to match the lowest price. I think CX shows flights based on chronological order and not based on price.
Especially when flying for business (be it F,J,PE,Y), the lowest priced tickets is often not the most suitable one. That's why the TG way gives a much better overview what you have for selections.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
This behaviour is not new, and it certainly is annoying. I believe CX aped their neighbor/competitor SQ who have an EVEN WORSE version of this.
Both are crap, and very annoying to consumers, savvy or not, to have to be watching all the time for an unexpected price jump.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
This behaviour is not new, and it certainly is annoying. I believe CX aped their neighbor/competitor SQ who have an EVEN WORSE version of this.
Both are crap, and very annoying to consumers, savvy or not, to have to be watching all the time for an unexpected price jump.
It's also a recent GUI trend, where things should look easy (not implying it is easy) and be able to be used on a 10 cubic cm screen without decent keyboard. The sooner we return to a presentation suitable to the underlying challenge, the better it is.........
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Talking

Originally Posted by Cambo
Sure, most people aren't idiots...
HAHA! I'll think of this next time I'm in a security line with folks who can't figure out what's going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.