Wiki Posts
Search

unpleasant redeem booking experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:21 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by wyskevin
To be honest, this is an acceptable offer. OK, it is kinda of “The Squeaky wheel gets the oil!” However, my point is reward seats are definitely much more difficult to book than they were before.

Oh, another thing: I always think DMs own the privilege to request reward seats released. It is one of the reasons I’d like to become DM. But maybe this privilege does not come as easy as in the past????
ROFL. So You Snooze You Lose is now writ large into Who Bellyaches Wins?

I can imagine even SLs being Crowded Out of the call centres by GOs and DMs breathing fire at the agents like a raid of Pokemons to extract seats from supervisors.
HaikalS and wyskevin like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Dynamic Award Pricing

Originally Posted by QRC3288
To jagmeets, my suspicion is they were wheeling and dealing playing "let's make a deal". I've had MPC agents do that with me a number of times before after they go on hold and ask for permission to do something.
This fits in with my (conspiracy theory) view that the 'Tailored Awards' are really dynamic pricing in disguise and that 'Tailored Award' availability is a way to force the award miles required to usurous levels. CX can easily claim to make lots more awards available at the Tailored Award level while restricting the lower levels, but who in their right mind would want to redeem at these levels? Surely in terms of value it is better to just buy a cash ticket?

In defence of CX, I am planning to redeem my meagre CX AMEX card miles on a short trip to either KL or BKK and am seeing far more award availability in the Saver buckets than before. SIN seems to be solid waitlist.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
This fits in with my (conspiracy theory) view that the 'Tailored Awards' are really dynamic pricing in disguise and that 'Tailored Award' availability is a way to force the award miles required to usurous levels. CX can easily claim to make lots more awards available at the Tailored Award level while restricting the lower levels, but who in their right mind would want to redeem at these levels? Surely in terms of value it is better to just buy a cash ticket?
Interesting. I had a bizarre experience recently that backs this up: CX quoted me a biz class redemption price (in points) I think to SIN which didn't line up with any of the quoted award chart rates.

I was wondering what the hell was going on.

Your answer would make the most sense.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:44 am

Interesting. I had a bizarre experience recently that backs this up: CX quoted me a biz class redemption price (in points) I think to SIN which didn't line up with any of the quoted award chart rates
The reason I believe this to be the case is because there is no published award chart for 'Tailored Awards'.

From the Asia Miles Website "For mileage requirements for Standard and Choice Awards on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon, please refer to the Award charts published on the Asia Miles website. For Standard Awards on other online redemption Partner airlines and Tailored Awards on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon, please refer to mileage requirements quoted at the online redemption booking platform".

The key element is the items in red, essentially you are given a 'Tailored Award' quote at the time of making an online redemption that can potentially be anything CX wants it to be, and can be easily applied to phone in redemptions of course.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Although CX has never called Tailored Awards dynamic pricing, their description has always made it seem that they are dynamic pricing awards.

However if you're referring to the "20% extra redemption seats", CX has always said these extra seats are at the Standard level. They are not taking into account Tailored or Choice awards. But we have no way of verifying this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Although CX has never called Tailored Awards dynamic pricing, their description has always made it seem that they are dynamic pricing awards. However if you're referring to the "20% extra redemption seats", CX has always said these extra seats are at the Standard level. They are not taking into account Tailored or Choice awards. But we have no way of verifying this.
Agreed, by definition 'Tailored Awards' implies dynamic pricing and that is how they seem to be applying this award level, but CX seems to be deliberately avoiding calling 'a horse, a horse' but when something 'walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.......' Sorry for the metaphors, but I think CX needs to be upfront about how this award level works, and I doubt if many people have actually read the definition I quoted, or if they did, did not understand what it means.

On the 20% level, you are right, no way to validate this unless CX makes the data available, which is just not going to happen.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by percysmith
Thanks for spotting this. Edited my reply.

Still, and I am sad to say this, it is like the 20% increase claim, there is no way to disprove it.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:25 am

Agreed, by definition 'Tailored Awards' implies dynamic pricing and that is how they seem to be applying this award level, but CX seems to be deliberately avoiding calling 'a horse, a horse' but when something 'walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.......' Sorry for the metaphors, but I think CX needs to be upfront about how this award level works, and I doubt if many people have actually read the definition I quoted, or if they did, did not understand what it means.

On the 20% level, you are right, no way to validate this unless CX makes the data available, which is just not going to happen.
It's not true Dynamic Pricing, they are just "hiding" the redemption table so they can change it without making it too easy for bloggers.

But it's not hard to reverse engineer the table. HT kaka for completing the Tailored table. I added the partner table which is also not published:

Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by HaikalS
If the DM bookable upgrades map to A fare, do we know what the Gold bookable upgrades map to? I fare?
I Fare.

Which makes the Gold bookable upgrades less usefull, since I tends to be sold out 3+ months upfront, apart from the requirement, you need to book in high-fare buckets PEY (R,W) to be able to, etc.

And, you can not use the Gold bookable upgrades for distances >3700 miles.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:36 pm

It's not true Dynamic Pricing, they are just "hiding" the redemption table so they can change it without making it too easy for bloggers.

But it's not hard to reverse engineer the table. HT kaka for completing the Tailored table. I added the partner table which is also not published:

You make sense, but I would argue that even if this is currently only semi-dynamic pricing it sets things up nicely (or not so nicely) for the seamless introduction of full dynamic pricing.

Though why to hide from Bloggers?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
I fare is far far far far more restricted than A fare. For all intents and purposes, A = F. I fare doesn't come close to equaling J.
Yeah - I haven't been able to use mine at all
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:12 pm

You make sense, but I would argue that even if this is currently only semi-dynamic pricing it sets things up nicely (or not so nicely) for the seamless introduction of full dynamic pricing.

Though why to hide from Bloggers?
Well if the KOLs don't say it then it's not fact.

In fact the 20% disinformation campaign is working exceedingly well for the non-FTers in my life. I can't convince them otherwise until they look up something, inevitably find nothing (or a horribly overpriced Tailored award) and I tell them what was available this time last year like an eternally sour bag of sour grapes.

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 27, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i actually call the tailored table the minimum that they charge
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Dear all,
Five days ago, I wrote an email to MPC to express my unpleasant booking experience.
I havent heard any feedback yet.
However, yesterday I got 3 messages to inform me that the waitlists were cleaned, which were AMS(U class), CDG(Z class), and BRU(U class). I will pick up one and cancel others.
I am not sure if these rapid clearance were related to my email.
Or it is just normal procedure to clean the waitlist soon when these bookings made very early.
Anyway, the result is good but the process was not. Acting like a raid of Pokemons isn’t fun.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:38 am

First Tailored increase Short Tailored Y 20k-->28k AM

MrMiles caught AM jacking up miles required for KIX Tailored

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 22, 2018 at 4:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.